I have many gold pins and one problem.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remulis

Hello!

I have gold pins from computer parts and I have one question about refining this pins.

On goldrecovery.us page I watched video on the dissolution of gold flakes from PCB's fingers.
And can I use the same method for my pins ?

Thanks a lot, and I apologize for my mistakes in English, because I don't speak English every day.

Look for the video on the same site (Lazer Steve's) about the sulfuric cell.
That would probably be a better choice for you to do the pins. You will need
to get a copper screen to hold the pins in.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I have one more question. Because I can not understand exactly what Steve said.

When the electrolysis is finished, the gold from the pins will be in the form of sludge on the bottom of the container?

There is some reading in the Tutorial Question/Comments section;

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7695

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9706

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3001

Jim

Don't let the sludge dry out (something I learned along the way). Once you have decanted the water rinses off of the settled sludge simple proceed to the HCl-Cl or AR stage.

Steve

What am I doing wrong?

Have separated some black sludge, to see if it dissolves in 38% Hydrochloric acid and bleach. Dissolved sludge and the filtration of impurities added to a dilute solution of sodium dissolved pyrosulphite and nothing upset with the solution. The solution changed color from gold to clear and nothing else. Maybe my sample was too small?

What does a stannous chloride test reveal on your solution?

It sounds to me like you might be right, you have used too small of a batch of pins? I had this happen on my last batch of fingers... too much dilution of my AuChloride and not enough Au finger flakes, so when I added SMB the liquid clouded gray then cleared and it's very hard to see- but there are little bits of precipitate on the bottom.

I could be wrong but I think you were supposed to dissolve the black powder in Hydrochloric acid and Bleach!

Wait till a more experenced member comes along to give you advice before you try anything else. Because mixing the wrong things could be very dangerous.

I dissolve sludge in 100-150ml HCl-Cl, but it's really not much, maybe half tea spoon.

what do you mean about stannous chloride test ?

Remulis said:
what do you mean about stannous chloride test ?

Have you read Hoke's book yet? Her book will teach you about stannous chloride test. A search of stannous on the forum will also.

Jim

Ok. I read something about stannous chloride test and i doing it. But i can't add it to my solution (AuCl + SMB) ?

Remulis said:
Ok. I read something about stannous chloride test and i doing it. But i can't add it to my solution (AuCl + SMB) ?
Do NOT add stannous chloride to your solution. Instead, take a drop sample from your solution, which would then be tested with a drop of stannous chloride. I like using a spot plate, but you can test in a white plastic spoon, or even on a piece of white paper.

Do everything you can to avoid combining tin with solutions unless you are testing samples.

Harold

Stannous chloride test shows me dark purple/black result. I dissolve more black sludge in HCl-Cl and dilute 3 times in tap water. When i add smb its no reaction (maybe the solutnion is much white)

It's possible you still have too much chlorine in the solution. Try heating it to just below boiling for 30 minutes. The chlorine will gas off.

Let the solution cool. Some gold may start to drop upon cooling but you'll probably need to add some more SMB.

Latest posts

Back