I need a scale, what type to buy?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danfordman

I am currently in the reading and learning stage and have'nt started any gold refining. I am however collecting materials and supplies. I was wondering what a Troy Ounce is and is it different than a standard ounce. I am going to buy a scale to measure my scrap jewlery I have collected and was curious what to look for i.e. Postal Scale, Local Smoke shop scale, etc. ??
Thanks Dan

A troy ounce is 31.1035 grams, whereas an avoirdupois ounce is approx 28 grams, or another way of expressing a troy ounce is 480 grains. Note my signature line.
The link below will explain the troy system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_ounce

What accuracy to you want to have ? I have two scales.

The first one goes up to 50 grams with an accuracy of 0.005 g.

And my second can weigh up to 5 kilos with an accuracy of 0.1 g.

If you're interested in weighing in grains, a powder scale from a reloading supply house does a good job. Make sure it's capable of weighing bullets, too, so it has greater capacity.

Harold

I use a small set of scales with 0.1g resolution. If you go any finer you may find that the scale takes too long to calibrate and too long to settle before you get a read out and 0.1g should be all that's needed for weighing PM's.
I have a 0.001g scale for my micro RC plane electronics building but i would never use it for weighing PM's as i see it as not required.

Latest posts

Back