I Need an XRF, because my refinery pinches. Any help appreciated!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on good terms with the guy who operates my somewhat nearby refinery. I've always suspected they may pinch a little, but if so, it's probably just a little. Moreover, when my packages go to their other locations (for aquia regia process to remove diamonds or when I mail it in) every karat bag comes up noticably short in purity. I need an XRF so I can melt my scrap into a cake and XRF it before sending it in.

But I see websites with $12K XRF and others with $2k models.

Are there decent budget models I can use for gold and silver?
Are there good sources for used and remanufactured guns?
And are there models and sources I should avoid?

You guys are the only ones in the universe to ask this as a group. So please guide me with your collective wisdom.

Thanks!
I'm on good terms with the guy who operates my somewhat nearby refinery. I've always suspected they may pinch a little, but if so, it's probably just a little. Moreover, when my packages go to their other locations (for aquia regia process to remove diamonds or when I mail it in) every karat bag comes up noticably short in purity. I need an XRF so I can melt my scrap into a cake and XRF it before sending it in.

You guys are the only ones in the universe to ask this as a group. So please guide me with your collective wisdom.

Thanks!
I assume from your comments it is all jewellery you are sending? If so the Thermo Scientific Niton DXL was specifically built for the purpose of jewellery. I bought one many years ago and it has been spot on for all jewellery and accurate for this type of material. It paid for itself in 3 weeks. Do not buy a cheap one as its a waste of money which I stupidly did. Here is a link https://www.nitonuk.co.uk/dxl/

I am old and retired and firmly entrenched in the chemical fire assay camp so you will have to rely on members who have purchased instruments recently.
I

Thanks!
maybe you don’t have to lash out $20K for an XRF, do what I did & ‘Buddy up’ with someone who has one and when you need get them to ‘Shoot’ it for you, my dealer charges me $10.00 a time.
Just photo the reading..

Well worth it me thinks..
Cheers
Tony

Latest posts

Back