IC chip process without sulfuric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pete,
I can get Peroxide and Hcl but the battery acid is illegal for non commercial use. U have to got to the mechanic to change the battery acid. I dont want to go abroud and take it back because its illegal here :/
David
If peroxide is legal, then buy SO2 solution from vine supply shops, here is about 2 euro a liter, also legal to have since its used when producing vine....and make sulfuric acid only when you need it....this way you fall out of illegally holding acid restrictions , since you will only hold legal chemicals and produce the amount of acid u will use....i don`t know any other solution to your problem .... maybe someone else has some other ideas...

Be safe

Pete.

Man, your country is insanely paranoid. Your government must be TERRIFIED of it's people. You go to some African countries, and people are just walking around with full autos slung over their shoulders and no one even thinks twice about it.

Plus, there are explosives you can make with bleach anyway! (tomorrow, your country bans bleach) Huh... explosives can be made from water? (water = BANNED!) Oh my... o______o

If peroxide is legal, then buy SO2 solution from vine supply shops, here is about 2 euro a liter, also legal to have since its used when producing vine....and make sulfuric acid only when you need it....this way you fall out of illegally holding acid restrictions , since you will only hold legal chemicals and produce the amount of acid u will use....i don`t know any other solution to your problem .... maybe someone else has some other ideas...

Be safe

Pete.
Thanks Pete,
I decided to do it with fire instead of sulfuric acid. But i will try the method to make some nitric out of the sulfuric i can make.
David

o_____________o That time reality was dumber than I could even imagine... (facepalm) Humanity, please stop being crazy.
I can understand regulations because of hazardous chemicals in the hands of people without proper understanding and knowledge, could cause environmental damage...fine by me....I can also understand that some chemicals are banned due to precursors for different illegal activities....fine by me....
The crazy thing is...all the world is shouting that there is a waste management problem....yet the are fighting with all means against the reduction of waste.
All the world is shouting that there is a global warming problem...yet governments are limiting environmental NGO financing for planting trees massivly.
And so on for fishing and everything else....
Crazy world indeed...I tend to believe we are starting to walk on the path of "Idiocracy" (like the movie)

Stay safe,

Pete.

Has anyone ever tried to toss the ICs in a crucible, some flux and let it get as hot as possible? Which is somewhere in the range of 1500ºc given if you leave iron molds in for too long will definetly melt.

Has anyone ever tried to toss the ICs in a crucible, some flux and let it get as hot as possible? Which is somewhere in the range of 1500ºc given if you leave iron molds in for too long will definetly melt.
Can you rephrase that?
I don't understand the last part.

I seen iron moulds forgotten in the furnace for pre-heating which melted up, which indicates a normal propane furnace should easily reach 1400ºc.

What I want to do (I don't have a furnace anymore for the while) is getting a bunch of IC chips or black top BGA in the crucible, add some flux and let it heat up really nicely, i'd expect a copper-gold alloy?

I'd like to assume the carbon will become nice ash at those temperatures.
Would also let you extract all metal without worrying about it getting caught up in the carbon or lost in washes.

I seen iron moulds forgotten in the furnace for pre-heating which melted up, which indicates a normal propane furnace should easily reach 1400ºc.

What I want to do (I don't have a furnace anymore for the while) is getting a bunch of IC chips or black top BGA in the crucible, add some flux and let it heat up really nicely, i'd expect a copper-gold alloy?

I'd like to assume the carbon will become nice ash at those temperatures.
Would also let you extract all metal without worrying about it getting caught up in the carbon or lost in washes.
It might be doable, but it should always be pyrolized first, to drive off the dangerous VOCs.
These should be rerouted into the flame as an after-burning step to destroy the gases properly.
Then you are left with a relatively harmless carbon, ash and metal mix.
These can be smelted with flux and a bit of collector metal.

At what temperature does gold start vaporize into the air? I honestly do not recall the temperatures, but at some point it will go up like lead, zinc and many other metals. It is one of the reasons many senior members suggest not using oxygen/acetylene to melt gold with but oxygen/propane.

I'm very well aware of this, yet i know flux is there and it can't go far :).
I think it was somewhere around 2200-3000ºc?
Edit: Boiling point of gold 2800ºc
I do believe surface temp on refractary wool might reach temps like 2000ºc but it should dissipate fairly quickly otherwise furnace lid should melt.

Never stopped to think oxy/acetylene could do that.

This would make me think flux/slag can contain quite a bit of metal if one is not careful.

I seen a vid or two of gold vaporization, quite funny and sad how it can vanish.

This should be fine for a copper propane furnace anyhow.

Last edited:
At what temperature does gold start vaporize into the air? I honestly do not recall the temperatures, but at some point it will go up like lead, zinc and many other metals. It is one of the reasons many senior members suggest not using oxygen/acetylene to melt gold with but oxygen/propane.
I saw some research somewhere indicating that finely dispersed Gold in ores under certain circumstances could vaporize already in 200-300 C range.
It is also known that under ashing of filters and Carbon some Gold vaporize at the same range.
Not much, but measurable.
I suspect some interactions from leaching agents or some localised superheating.

Be safe

Pete.
That was the same thing I was thinking. You voted these people in you feel sorry for you. But the meaning of do certain things and it takes awayalty rights.

That was the same thing I was thinking. You voted these people in you feel sorry for you. But the meaning of do certain things and it takes awayalty rights.
Welcome to your first post.
In the US most acids are legal, admittedly you need a business licenses to be able to buy them cheap.

Latest posts

Back