I'm REALLY new

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twisted77 said:
Geo said:
yes, this part is called recovery. when you use the stripping cell, you are recovering gold from gold plate. it will always be contaminated from this process. refining follows recovery. you refine by dissolving the gold along with any impurity's and then precipitating just the gold and (hopefully) leaving the impurity's behind in the solution. SO2 gas (sulfur dioxide) will precipitate the gold from solution selectively, meaning it will precipitate the gold and leave the other metals in solution. we use sodium metabisulfite or sodium sulfite (do not mistake this for metabisulfate or any other sulfate) a source of this chemical is "Bonide" brand stump remover. do not get "spectracide" brand as it is a different chemical. be sure to read the label before using, it must contain sodium sulfite. another chemical that will selectively precipitate gold is "copperas" (ferrous sulfate). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/copperas
many members use this chemical.it is sold in most home improvement stores in the lawn and garden center.

after you dissolve the gold using the muriatic acid and clorox and let the chlorine evaporate out of solution, you will use either of these chemicals to precipitate the gold from solution.you can dissolve the gold and precipitate it over and over and each time it gets more pure leaving impurity's behind. though normally two dissolution's and following Harolds wash's and rinse's will have you producing pure gold quickly.

Sorry Geo I Have One More Question For You. You Refer To Follow Harolds Washes and rinses... but i cant find that info anywhere. is this just washing and rinsing with plain distelled water and coffee filters??? im am starting to absorb your information but im a stuck on this. i completely understand everything else you have shared with me. and am getting very excited because im starting to undestand after reading it over and over. please guide me threw this washing and rinsing and when do you do this application. before you desolve the powder or after? sorry for being a pain just want to do it like the experts. thank you Boss! Bruce

Ok Thank You Sir. I Appreciate Your Wealth Of Knowledge And For Sharing With A Complete Stranger... Thank You Thank You Everyone. You Guys Rock. Have A Great Weekend. And Ill Let You No The Out Come!!! Bruce

when you precipitate the gold powder from the first dissolution, it will still be contaminated due to a process called "drag down". it is a physical process that happens near the end of the precipitation where the gold will "drag down" base metal from solution as it precipitates. decant solution down to the powder.add water to the powder to fill half the container. bring this to a boil, this will dissolve any water soluble salts. boil for a few minutes and let the solution cool. decant down to the powder. repeat this rinse. next add water to one quarter of the container and add to the water fresh hcl to complete one half fill of the container. bring this to a boil, continue to boil for 15-30 minutes. do not allow to boil dry. remove heat and allow to cool. decant down to the powder. if the hcl discolored on the first boil, repeat until the boil stays clear.next rinse with water, bring to a boil, remove the heat and allow to cool. repeat this rinse. next, add ammonium hydroxide and water 50/50 to fill half the container and bring to a boil. this is to remove certain salts and traces of silver chloride. remove heat and allow to cool and decant to powder. next, follow with 2 water rinses and 1 hcl rinse followed by 1 water rinse.

i know it sounds like a lot to do. but think about it this way, how pure do you want your gold and how much are you willing to do to get it pure.

Geo said:
when you precipitate the gold powder from the first dissolution, it will still be contaminated due to a process called "drag down". it is a physical process that happens near the end of the precipitation where the gold will "drag down" base metal from solution as it precipitates. decant solution down to the powder.add water to the powder to fill half the container. bring this to a boil, this will dissolve any water soluble salts. boil for a few minutes and let the solution cool. decant down to the powder. repeat this rinse. next add water to one quarter of the container and add to the water fresh hcl to complete one half fill of the container. bring this to a boil, continue to boil for 15-30 minutes. do not allow to boil dry. remove heat and allow to cool. decant down to the powder. if the hcl discolored on the first boil, repeat until the boil stays clear.next rinse with water, bring to a boil, remove the heat and allow to cool. repeat this rinse. next, add ammonium hydroxide and water 50/50 to fill half the container and bring to a boil. this is to remove certain salts and traces of silver chloride. remove heat and allow to cool and decant to powder. next, follow with 2 water rinses and 1 hcl rinse followed by 1 water rinse.

i know it sounds like a lot to do. but think about it this way, how pure do you want your gold and how much are you willing to do to get it pure.

Ya it does. but i have to learn it. so this process is the first out of the sulphuric cell before muratic and clorox process or after this process? just trying to put all the pieces together in the right order. sorry Geo This Has Turned Into A Book for you and i feel bad bro. But i want it right the first time you no what i mean? thanx Geo I Think We Must Be getting to the end just have to have it all in order...

twisted77 said:
Geo said:
when you precipitate the gold powder from the first dissolution

Ya it does. but i have to learn it. so this process is the first out of the sulphuric cell before muratic and clorox process or after this process? just trying to put all the pieces together in the right order. sorry Geo This Has Turned Into A Book for you and i feel bad bro. But i want it right the first time you no what i mean? thanx Geo I Think We Must Be getting to the end just have to have it all in order...

The washing process starts as Geo mentioned, after the first precipitation of gold powder, meaning after you have dissolved the gold and selectively precipitated it from solution.
Therefore, the process starts after the hydrochloric acid / bleach and precipitation process

the washes and rinses will be after you dissolve the powder and precipitate the gold back out of solution.
1. reclaim the gold using sulfuric cell.
2. collect powder and separate from acid.
3. refine the gold powder by dissolving the gold and precipitate it back from solution.
4. purify the refined gold powder by washing and rinsing impurities from the powder.
5. further refine the gold by a second dissolution and precipitation.
6. further purify by washing and rinsing impurities from refined powder.

if your goal is to acquire gold to sell to a refiner, reclaiming the gold from the cell and melting will work because they will refine it anyway.

if you want to refine gold to a pure state to horde as a hedge or treasure for later generations, then you will need to refine the gold yourself or pay to have it done.

Geo said:
the washes and rinses will be after you dissolve the powder and precipitate the gold back out of solution.
1. reclaim the gold using sulfuric cell.
2. collect powder and separate from acid.
3. refine the gold powder by dissolving the gold and precipitate it back from solution.
4. purify the refined gold powder by washing and rinsing impurities from the powder.
5. further refine the gold by a second dissolution and precipitation.
6. further purify by washing and rinsing impurities from refined powder.

if your goal is to acquire gold to sell to a refiner, reclaiming the gold from the cell and melting will work because they will refine it anyway.

if you want to refine gold to a pure state to horde as a hedge or treasure for later generations, then you will need to refine the gold yourself or pay to have it done.

Ok Awsome Thank You Geo. You Have Helped Me And My Family Tremendously!!! Thank You To Everyone. This Forum Is A Treasure!!! And I Am Definitely Keeping My Gold for Hedge. Maybe Sell Some But Not All. And Keeping All My Silver... You Guys Are very kind! God Bless All Of You And Your Homes. Bruce

martyn111 said:
twisted77 said:
Geo said:
when you precipitate the gold powder from the first dissolution

The washing process starts as Geo mentioned, after the first precipitation of gold powder, meaning after you have dissolved the gold and selectively precipitated it from solution.
Therefore, the process starts after the hydrochloric acid / bleach and precipitation process

Thank You Martyn...

twisted77 said:
Geo said:

Geo the final HCL rinse you have at the end is it just pure HCL? or is it diluted with water? and you dont ever boil completely dry right? always should have some liquid left to decant off the powder correct? you are only boiling for a few minutes at a time is what i have gatherd. thank you Geo

the last hcl wash serves two purposes. it acidifies the solution after the ammonia wash, and removes any traces of copper oxide that may have made its way past the first hcl washes. it can be diluted as can the previous hcl washes. because muriatic acid in the states is almost as concentrated as you can get, you could safely dilute with water 50/50.never let any washes or rinses boil dry. the objective is not to evaporate the solution and any wash should not go that long. you should be mindful and never leave these processes unattended. setting a time limit to the washes is frowned upon by Harold (he is the man that pioneered the sequences) the washes should be continued until the solution stays clear after boiling.

Geo said:
the last hcl wash serves two purposes. it acidifies the solution after the ammonia wash, and removes any traces of copper oxide that may have made its way past the first hcl washes. it can be diluted as can the previous hcl washes. because muriatic acid in the states is almost as concentrated as you can get, you could safely dilute with water 50/50.never let any washes or rinses boil dry. the objective is not to evaporate the solution and any wash should not go that long. you should be mindful and never leave these processes unattended. setting a time limit to the washes is frowned upon by Harold (he is the man that pioneered the sequences) the washes should be continued until the solution stays clear after boiling.

Ok Thank You. And Dont Worry I Would Never Leave It Unattended Geo. Thank Sir Now I Will Read This Hundred Times And Then Go Get Some Gold... I Cant Wait!!! Thanx Geo

Hi Geo,

I am very new here. Can I use either Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Sulfite to precipitate gold? Any Do's and Don'ts in selecting either one? Thanks

saifudin said:
Hi Geo,

I am very new here. Can I use either Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Sulfite to precipitate gold? Any Do's and Don'ts in selecting either one? Thanks

I believe either one can be used and they both work the same way. I believe the"blondie"brand stump out that several members use is sodium sulfite. If you have a local place that sells supplies for wine making I believe you can purchase sodium meta bisulfite, at least that is what I have heard other members post.

I personally made the rookie mistake and bought chemicals from a company called "Shor". Lucky for me I found this great forum before I used any of them! (actually found GRF while waiting for my shor purchase to arrive at my house). Shor would not let me return my purchase so for now I use their over priced, relabeled, SMB. Be smarter then me, while your new don't buy anything until you have studied,and re-studied exactly what your planning on trying. Good luck!

This post has a direct link to download Hoke's book;

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8547&p=79774&hilit=hokes+book#p79774

Jim

Thanks guys, you're awesome. I have literally started with this recovery experiment only a week ago, and haven't even really looked into which chemicals etc to buy - I'm still in the process of pulling out pins and finding the best ways to do this. So I am VERY happy to have stumbled upon this website, and I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of each other!

Latest posts

Back