Incineration and PM recovery from Rookie Filter Papers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did my filter papers today. There is a lot of bandwidth for such an easy process.

I put them in to a crucible and heated it to around 500c. I held it there until smoking stopped. After that I ground the residue in the crucible, added silver cement, soda ash and borax then mixed and covered and heated slowly until melt temp.

Then once at melt temp I just stirred until everything was uniform and poured.

Had I had more filters I would have milled them and roast them following the pyrolization, but honestly....they are my filters. They aren't worth much unless I'm sloppy as heck. There's probably more rhodium than gold from the plating on white gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working with escrap produces some Pd waste. As the filters contain a trace amount, I incinerate to ash and try to remove metals as selectively as I can. Nitric acid first to remove copper, silver and Pd and decant to another beaker. Without adding more nitric acid, I then add HCl. The residual nitric acid is usually enough to dissolve any gold and Pt. Anything that doesn't dissolve here goes in my solids for smelting.

Ok everyone, I boiled it down and to a crisp, about a liter to begin with. While still hot, I incinerated from above. I scraped and smashed and scraped and smashed. Finally I hit about 2 tablespoons of ash with bleach and hcl. No stannous color at all, absolutely nothing.

Im confused as to what it could have been. A liter of fluid produced about 6 tablespoons of ash. Any guesses? I guess the good news is that I dont have to worry about this ash, going to boil it all down and throw it out just in case.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike

You could now try "hitting" as you say some of the untested ash with nitric, checking again for silver.
I think the color you are seeing is some base metals that did not form hydroxides because of the window some of these have, and the ease to swing past this window without forming hydroxides.
Also, if you do this nitric test I would also check it for pd.

Will do Platdigger. I may get a little time this evening. I have potassium nitrate, could make a little poor mans nitric or poor mans AR. I had thought about that as I was posting yesterday, just haven't had the time. I think I may take a sample and add some more hydroxide to see if it does anything separate from all the other filters.

Thanks again,

Mike

Back