Introducing Bromine to cyanide by harold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe

I am processing gold ore using cyanide process(CIP), recovery rate is only 75-78%. I had came across a few of Harold post mentioning the use of bromine.
Can i know in what form of bromine is introduce together with the cyanide as Harold mention as i found no information on the internet.

I would be appreciate if anyone could tell me the chemical formula of the bromine begin used and a rough guide on the bromine concentration.

Thanks
Felipe

We have a member named Deano who has been kind enough to share a lifetime of experience concerning ore extraction with the forum. His threads can be found here;
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21526

and here is the second of the series.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22978

Spend some time reading these two threads and it should help you. If you still have questions and comments come back and post mor details on the ore you are working.

Welcome to the forum.

I have heard old stories where early last century some operators added bromine to a cyanide leach in order to recover gold from tellurides.

Apparently the bromine was supposed to decompose the telluride complexes.

None of the older metallurgists I spoke with knew any more than these bare facts but all mentioned that the process, if actually efficient, would be prohibitively expensive.

No one was really sure that the stories were factual and not myth.

Deano

It has been many years since my bromine experience, and my memory has grown dim. However, everything I learned came from researching old mining journals in the public library. Many of them address ores and ore processing. I keyed in on what they liked to call mispickel gold ore.

Bromine is an element, as we all know. It is a (heavy) brown fluid, which is how it was administered to the agitation tank, although dissolved in a solution of cyanide and water. That it works is beyond question-----prior to the introduction of bromine I was removing only a trace of gold from ore that assayed in excess of 300 oz/ton. The final assay of the processed ore indicated I had removed greater than 99% of the gold, although only about half the silver that was contained within was recovered.

My agitation tank held only 20 gallons. To it I would add a fluid ounce of bromine, then refresh when the free cyanide level dropped, a sure sign that it was being consumed in the digestion of the gold.

It is important that one maintain a proper pH when using bromine (and cyanide)---which I recall to be no greater than 10. On more than one occasion I had to add traces of sulfuric acid to the agitation tank because the pH had risen beyond an acceptable level. Again, my memory has grown dim, so that value may not be correct. It was also important that I not allow the level of free cyanide to exceed .02%.

Bromine was killer expensive when I inquired. They wanted something like $50 for what I recall to be 500 ml, so I did some research and managed to find a case of four five pint bottles for just over $120. It was ordered from the company that recovers bromine from the ocean, with their location at that time somewhere in the south-east of the US. I used about a third of one bottle, so buying the case was clearly a winning deal. I expect that, today, you won't be able to duplicate that experience, however. Government agencies have made it virtually impossible for the average guy to procure chemicals.

Harold

Latest posts

Back