Is there a non-destructive test for Rhodium plating.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justincase

Supporting Member
I had in a nice lot of Cypriot 750Au.
It was 99% just alloyed with Nickel and did not even need inquarting.
Being high Nickel I was not going to sell any of it on so cracked on with stone recovery.
One piece had looked like they had gold plated over there nickel alloy so I just put it in Ar as I had done with the other rings.
But I was incorrect, only the setting with the stones had been there easy cast alloy the bulk of the ring had been a nice Yellow gold and silver alloy.
They had plated the setting with rhodium which would have given a very good barrier to the small amount of nickel that could have touched skin.
I am now kicking my self as it had been a very nice piece and if I had sent it for assay and hallmarking I probably could have sold it for considerably more than the meleé diamonds and metal.
Is there a non-destructive test for Rhodium plating or plating in general that douse not need me to spend a fortune on XRF.
I can now test and tell what some thing is, being able to do this while retaining retail value is some what harder to do.

Latest posts

Back