Is this correct, about to process some e scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itswillist

I watched a few Youtube Videos and everyone has a bit of a different process.

- I have some AMD and Intel CPU pins I've been soaking in Muriatic/Hydrogen peroxide with a bubbler for about a week. From this point am I supposed to filter the solution and then bath my gold dust in Aqua Regia ??

This is what some of the people in the video's did but I though that aqua R dissolved gold ?? - Anyway due to everyone doing things differently what would be the best thing to do from where I am now ?

Aqua regia is covering the foils in HCL and adding ONE ml HNO3 to dissolve 1 gram of gold!!!
Not mixing HCL / HNO3 in a 3/1 ratio!!
Less is better.

Safety first: Work in a fumehood or outside upwind. Or better yet, scrub the fumes. Use gloves.

Put the foils in a beaker, barely cover them with HCL. 30% strong is fine. Put on low heat in a dry sand bath. 60 C. Measure with a laser thermometer.
Add some drops of nitric. Cover with a watch glass.
Watch and wait until no more tiny bubbles come from the foils. This can take a couple of minutes to half an hour.
Then add some more drops if there is still visible gold.

Overshooting nitric is a problem we deal with a lot here on the forum. And then explaining why NOT to use urea to try and solve a problem easily avoided.

In time you will learn how much it takes to dissolve your foils and guesstimate a safe amount to start with.

But as jimdoc said:
Study safety and dealing with waste to handle and dispose of the toxins you create.

For your health's sake and the environment

Some links to get you started:
Welcome to all newbies
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=796
And:
Help where do i start learning these skills
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28521

Martijn.

Latest posts

Back