Is this pl or pd ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

Hello guys,
Here is what I done 3 weeks ago I took 1oz of some smb capicator as a test batch to see how they would come out. The process i used is as follows.

1. 1cup hcl to 1/4 cup nitric.
2. Stired ever now and then and let set.

Today I filtered off the solution and tested with Stanious and here is what I got, any help with what I have would be grateful.

Thanks

ps. I let it set for 3 weeks before I filtered.

Attachments

• Kens Camera 013.jpg
    Kens Camera 013.jpg
    79.1 KB
  • Kens Camera 014.jpg
    Kens Camera 014.jpg
    72.9 KB
The color of the solution looks like it contains mostly nickel. The swab does appear to show a positive result for PGMs, but is inconclusive. Pd should be more of a blue-green color on the swab. Pd solutions are typically straw yellow to burgundy (blood) red. Pt should be a bright orange.

Do you have DMG for testing for nickel and Pd?

Do you have a standard Pt and Pd test solution to confirm your stannous chloride results against?

Steve

jeneje said:
No Steve I dont, Can it be made at home or do I have to buy it.

Thanks
Ken

Buy some.

Filter the solution and post a photo of the filtered liquid.

The swab looks positive for Pt, but it's hard to say with the color of the solution and the sediment in it. I'm skeptical because of the dark area around the tip.

Denox the solution if you haven't already, and retest.

Steve

I have to ask here, I don't know what you mean by Denox? So here is what I done.
1, added a eye droper full of the solution in a test tube, and added just a little urea to neutralize the nitric. It turned a litter green and then i tested it with new stanious.

2. I added a eye droper of the orginal without added urea and tested, it did not change colors at all.

I have posted some more pics for you to see.
Thanks

Attachments

• Kens Camera 026.jpg
    Kens Camera 026.jpg
    76.3 KB
  • Kens Camera 024.jpg
    Kens Camera 024.jpg
    91.8 KB
  • Kens Camera 022.jpg
    Kens Camera 022.jpg
    82 KB
Denoxxing is the process of using evaporation to eliminate the free nitric oxides (NO and NO2 = NOx) in the solution.

Place a fresh sample in a test tube and slowly evaporate it down to a syrup like consistency. Rehydrate the solution with HCl back to 1/2 of it's original volume and repeat two more times. Do not use urea.

The solution appears to be nickel to me, but the stannous test is throwing me off. The stannous test is not like what I'm used to seeing for Pt or Pd.

DMG will test for Pd and nickel.

Steve

jeneje said:
Steve after denox I tested today and the swab was a light green. I dont think there is any pms in it.

Thanks

Got a photo?

Sounds like nickel to me still. DMG would determine whether it was Pd or Ni for sure.

Steve

Steve here is the pics, after Denox the solution was a lime green color. After setting for a while about an hour, it started to drop this silver gray salt. The swab on the left was done while solution was hot, the on on the right is after solution cooled off.

Thanks
Ken

Attachments

• dnox2.jpg
    dnox2.jpg
    90 KB
  • dnox1.jpg
    dnox1.jpg
    73.1 KB
Do you have a standard test solution of Pd you can test against?

The swab color is not right for Pt or Pd, the solution looks like nickel to me. Nickel solutions can change colors depending on pH. Stannous chloride is acidic and will lower the pH, causing the nickel to change colors possibly.

Perhaps one of your other ingredients is causing the color change.

What were the sources of your reagents?

Steve

What were the sources of your reagents?

If I understand your question Steve. I used 1/2 cup HCL and added aprox. 1/4 of nitric to create an AR mix. Then added the 20 grams of smb chips of the mother boards.

Ken

Jeneje, did you ever get this figured out? I saw the same color you saw today when testing a sample from a bucket of loose comb I bought off a fellow.

I leached a sample in 10:1 HCl 30% peroxide.
A couple hours at room temperature, and a couple hours atabout 60C, with constant stirring. The solution turned a sort of brown green pond water color
A stannous test looked positive for palladium, but it's still an open question whether there was any in there. I took a small amount of the leach solution and added DMG and got an immediate color change to a rich coffee brown kind of like a stannous reaction, although I assure you is was DMG :lol: No yellow precipitate formed although there was a greasy looking film that did form. Strange.

After filtering the dmg treated solution, a swab of solution was tested with stannous chloride, and the immediate result was a pinky color I have come to associate with rhodium. The funny thing is the stannous swab turned from the fleshy pinky sort of color to a much different deep red. It took a couple minutes, and it was pretty much the same color you had Jeneje. A sort of deep cherry red and and rather intense. I think the loose comb had some zeolite catalyst in it and the zeolite could be nickel based, which makes me think it confirms Steve's thinking on this sort of result.

skippy said:
Jeneje, did you ever get this figured out? I saw the same color you saw today when testing a sample from a bucket of loose comb I bought off a fellow.

I leached a sample in 10:1 HCl 30% peroxide.
A couple hours at room temperature, and a couple hours atabout 60C, with constant stirring. The solution turned a sort of brown green pond water color
A stannous test looked positive for palladium, but it's still an open question whether there was any in there. I took a small amount of the leach solution and added DMG and got an immediate color change to a rich coffee brown kind of like a stannous reaction, although I assure you is was DMG :lol: No yellow precipitate formed although there was a greasy looking film that did form. Strange.

After filtering the dmg treated solution, a swab of solution was tested with stannous chloride, and the immediate result was a pinky color I have come to associate with rhodium. The funny thing is the stannous swab turned from the fleshy pinky sort of color to a much different deep red. It took a couple minutes, and it was pretty much the same color you had Jeneje. A sort of deep cherry red and and rather intense. I think the loose comb had some zeolite catalyst in it and the zeolite could be nickel based, which makes me think it confirms Steve's thinking on this sort of result.

No skippy, I just put it aside and let it go. I was under the assunption is was nickle and did nothing else with it.

Latest posts

Back