Jumping into the melting pot!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachSavage

Hi all, I have been interested in refining for years and have finally decided to jump in and start dabbling and learning. Looking forward to learning a lot as I journey down this new path. Regards, Dach Savage.

Hi all, I have been interested in refining for years and have finally decided to jump in and start dabbling and learning. Looking forward to learning a lot as I journey down this new path. Regards, Dach Savage.
Hi and welcome.

Here are some study material to get you started.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/post-327766

Hi Dave, I am setting up now to start refining sterling silver using I believe its called the "lion" method. Then using a silver cell to get some nice pure to move on with. I am also interested in processing plated silver as I have access to a large quantity of that material. I have gathered most of what I need for the sterling, still hunting a nitric source and some larger beakers, glass filters and small bits and setting up a safe outdoor work area. If that first attempt works out decently then
I am thinking of building a fume hood and moving forward towards gold and unobtanium! My main interest is going forward with strength and learning what works the most efficiently and sensibly and safely. I have been paddling around the hobby for years, time to get cracking, not getting any younger.
BTW, I too hate it when they stop leaking. Decided I am going to trim the herd and put that effort and cash into refining and only keeping one or two. I am done with the milwaukee vibrators (my knees are shot to hell) and with many teary memories have decided on keeping just the KZ1000P (electric start) and maybe the Enfield Bullet 500 I picked up a few months ago. Last year it really struck home that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer ya get to the end the quicker it goes! Regards, Dach.

Hi and welcome.

Here are some study material to get you started.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/post-327766
Hi bud, thanks for chiming in. I had previously joined the forum many years ago and explored the subject and I think it was you that suggested Hokes back then. I dl'd it and started reading before life interfered, and then my Mac burned up and I lost everything! So thanks and kudos for sending the links again. I always felt this forum was awesome and its good to be back home. Dach.

BTW, I too hate it when they stop leaking.
Cummins/Allison 5.9L or 6.7L's diesels are bullet proof as long as it has some 15W-40.

I am setting up now to start refining sterling silver
Before you go and remove any stamps/Hall marks from your Sterling, you might want to discus with your buyer how they feel about that. Removing these markings or processing items with a known content (coins..etc) will make it harder to sell in the future (same with alloyed gold). If you're doing it for the education, then it might be worth it for the experience.

You being in Az there is probably places that buy PM's from mining and would be capable of do all the testing in house. Here in Fl there really isn't much in the way of PM's mining, so harder for me to find a buyer.

Hi Dave, Yet there are plenty of buyers here and a few processors here but I don't really do much business with them. Yah I hear ya, I was born and raised in Seminole so unless its mangrove, limestone, cottonmouths or gators you are into there is not much mining there. Here, my main contact I just buy from. He calls me when he has a good deal on junk silver. Just bought an ammo can of BU Canadian 80% at a decent price. Right now, I have enough cash and stuff to sell to live on just fine (unless I find another woman to distract me). Mostly am interested in refining for the same reason I reload ammo. I agree about the Cummins, thought you meant the 2 wheelers but I am actually pining for 12v Dodge myself right now. I was at the gas station the other day and a fellow rolled up to the diesel pump in a resale red extended cab 12 valve (`98 I think) and started filling up. Looked brand new. I drooled on over and chatted him up and turns out it had 65k original with the automatic. Dead sharp and in mint condition, even had new tires. OMG!! Turns out he was planning on selling it as it was too small for his family. He had just posted it on CL that morning for 20K. Got his #, went home and started shaking the trees. Called him early the next afternoon and told him I could pay him 18K and meet him at the bank in 30 min and he laughed and said, sorry but I actually sold it this morning for 21K, two buyers got in a bidding war. Grrrrr!!! Dach.

PS, plenty of room in AZ, its beautiful and stuff doesn't rust here. And yes its a dry heat, but it has been almost 50 years since I left FL in handcuffs and its the best thing that ever happened to me.

I agree about the Cummins, thought you meant the 2 wheelers

We have a fleet of buses with Cummins/Allison. The Aftertreatment systems are a constant battle because of the in-town stop and go traffic, they get zero time on the highway to do a lengthy/consistent Regen.

We also had a bunch of Internationals with the Max "farce" DT's....what a piece of crap....Thankfully they were put out to pasture.... If there's anyone here that designs engines for International.....You owe me a case of beer!!! :)

PS, plenty of room in AZ, its beautiful and stuff doesn't rust here. And yes its a dry heat, but it has been almost 50 years since I left FL in handcuffs and its the best thing that ever happened to me.
Funny.....I spent some of my growing up years in Phoenix and now live in Florida.

Back