Larger tilting furnace

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
butcher is right, the furnace places around here sell something like it just for holding the refractory. I looked into building a rotary furnace a while back and the place I was working with actually sold them by the piece. If I recall correctly they were less than $2 each, with about a 50% discount on 100 of them.

This is a post that is not directly tied to this furnace.

I have a Speedy Melt combination forge and crucible furnace. It takes a number 10 bilge crucible.

I put some smaller ones in it to work out my flux recipes and collector metal trials.

Just thought I would post here to let you see a little detour I have made to learn more about the smelting process.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WrVtwXRe7dxn3Lf58
Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

So much to like! The rest on the barrel to tilt the crucible against is a nice idea. Love the crucible tongs. Starting small and scaling up - priceless!

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
So much to like! The rest on the barrel to tilt the crucible against is a nice idea. Love the crucible tongs. Starting small and scaling up - priceless!

Dave
I will post some more info and pics of the tongs. Hiway robbery to buy them. Made them with square bar stock and some flat bar stock.

I read this forum constantly and I am truly amazed at the knowledge base that so many have contributed to.

Just about anything I need to learn is on here.

Thanks!

OK. For some this will be eye candy.

Here is a video of a water cooled burner for the larger furnace.

It will uses air from a Roots blower piped in with pic pipe and flex pipe.

The main gas supply is propane but it has two more gas ports for oxygen or other gases.

Should output 2 million BTU depending on air/fuel mix.

Video is not great as the flame is washed out by sunlight. You can hear it roar though.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kdhCFjV99P6H8t3eA

Rick

I REALLY like your tongs (posted May 1)

when smelt I run # 30 & 40 crucibles so not sure one man could actually do the lift & pour with your design

might have to make your design to check it out though

Here is my current set up - it requires two tongs (1 for lifting & one for pouring) & two guys to operate

:arrow: Smelting in India

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. Made them for the #10 crucible. Even that's heavy for me.I broke my back 5 years ago. That's why my brother is lifting in the video.

The other two furnaces are hydraulic tiles and pour. I have read the post you put up before. I like your set up as well. I am going to reread the link again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

anachronism said:
Looks even better now!
Thanks!

Here's another video. Just propane and atmospheric air. Still have to test oxygen. Next test.

One more with oxygen. Hitting right around 3500 F

Meltdown! Makeshift refractory roof WAS good to 2600 F

Purchased a used fume scrubber for the furnace and the lab. (I said fume hood in the video but I meant scrubber)

Here is an update on the small nose pour I built to learn to do refractory lining.

Turning out to be a great furnace in it's own right.

The hydraulic unit is self contained 120 VAC I bought off Ebay. (Chinese made?)

Cylinders are 16 inch by 1.25 bore from Tractor Supply.

It's raised under power and returns with gravity.

The young guy in the video provided ballast until it's operating under load.

Haha I can can think of a few people I would love to put in there for that experiment. Obviously the furnace would be fired up too, otherwise the test wouldn't be effective....

Back