Larger tilting furnace

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Platdigger said:
Seems like a long way to the scrubber. I would think that pipe will gather some values.
Nice looking set up as usual. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Thanks. It is long. I have a fiberglass filter close to the furnaces that will catch some of the values.

Other than that it will be my "second" retirement plan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

anachronism said:
Change the fibre glass filter for a removable one with an activated carbon matrix 8) 8)
I will probably do that during round 2. One I get everything operational I will do a round of tweaks and improvements. Thanks.

2nd fume hood for speedy melt furnace and the small nose pour tilt furnace going in now.

Had to fabricate this one because of the area I needed to fit in. I did find some surplus sheet steel though.

Case the floor refractory in the small nose pour furnace yesterday. Put about 3 inches in the bottom with a raised pedestal for the crucible rest to set on.

The light is shining in the burner and blower port.

Kind of overcast today hope the pic comes out ok.

487226093dfedff62bfe1247983aa77a.jpg

2nd exhaust hood is up and ready.

It is ducted off a tee from the main hood.

Sidewall refractory is cast on the small nose pour furnace.

I will video tomorrow once I remove the forms.

e8b2e50803355b04135b906233815e8b.jpg
5197f8d5a2e59fb562b0d479e8d0b774.jpg

I started this thread with a large tilting furnace. It turned out to be a great learning experience.

Most of the work I have done in the past is custom cars. I built convertibles and limousines as well as many other custom vehicles.

I stalled a little bit here as I had quite a lot to learn. Many of you gave me some great suggestions that proved invaluable.

That said I believe I now have the skill set to complete this project.

For those that have followed this thread you know I decided to scale back some to learn the process of refractory lining among other things.

I think the smaller nose pore came out well. I am ready now to complete the larger nose pour as well. (I started with a mid tilt but heeded good advice and changed to nose pours. Very glad I did)

Thanks.

I also wanted to give you a quick update on the fume scrubber.

Electricity is installed. Water lines are run. Transition from blower to stack is fabricated and installed. Have not test fired yet. I will update when I do.

Firing the small nose por furnace.

This one is complete. Soon I will have a video of it doing an actual pour one the cone mold is complete.

Now for the large nose pour. We are testing the hydraulics. Next we will test fire the burner and controls.

After that it gets all new refractory.

This video shows the charge bucket, the tilting for the pour and the mechanism to open and close the lid for charging the furnace.

The flux and charge will be mixed in the bucket rotor while the next heat is smelting.

Two videos of the fume scrubber. Before and after paint.

Smelting trials soon!

That is really a nice setup you are putting together. You should be able to smelt a fair amount. Is the goal not to be bottle necked at the smelting process or do you have a good supply of feed stock to keep it going continuously (not necessarily 24/7)?

That’s some really impressive looking equipment. I’d love to see that working in person.

Mostly cleaning up copper and brass. So plenty of feed stock available.

To a lesser degree some silver recovery for another smelting company do PM refining.

I have also been dabbling with caret scrap and some select escrap. (That's what I use my Speedy Melt for. It has a # 10 crucible)

Back