LazerSteves wounderful Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toadiesop said:
I don't know about the brita filter idea but I too use liquid lightning and I get A LOT of black in my rinse too. I was amazed the first time I filtered it.

So ALWAYS filter your rinse water, especially if you use Liquid Lightning. (I know I pointed a lot people to Wal-Mart to buy it)

So, is it specifically a "Liquid ligthing" thing, or is there gold in them thar rinses? Have you checked them out and if so are you having good results? I'm wondering if because of the "sudsing action" it's causing more of the gold to cling to the scrap I'm stripping and when I go to rinse it off, that's when it's finally dropping off.

goldsilver, the reason I believe Steve is recommending distilled water is to eliminate the "naturally occuring" phenom of metals and minerals in the tap water. I'm actually wondering if there is something in my tap wter that reacted with the sulfuric acid that gave me the very deep purple hue I'm seeing rather than the amber color others have described. I did notice that after filtering the water/sulfuric acid solution became very clear and a very light amber color leaving what appears all of the black and purple behind in the filters. I think he's just trying to keep from adding that additional "contamination".

Steve, feel free to correct me if I'm out of bounds for taking a guess about this.

Chris,

Generally either will work fine, but in an effort to maintain consistant, repeatable results for everyone, I will always specify distilled to be on the safe side. I've seen tap water that will leave a ring of rust in the tub! :lol: Point is you never know what some peoples taps are putting out. If they are on the city water system everything should go smoothly, but some of our members may live out in the boon docks and have a well feeding their water supply. You never know.

I personally have used both with equal success, but I'm on the city water system.

Steve

AuMINIMayhem,

Please reread my last post. I edited it and, by the time I posted, 4 or 5 other posts had already been made.

I think my colloidal gold analysis was correct and I think it would have occurred upon dilution no matter what kind of water you used. Much of my early work on this system was done in a lab using distilled water and, I still got the purple color. Sometimes it occurs and sometimes it doesn't. I think there is something else in play that makes it happen. The purple particles happened to filter out. They were probably collected by the larger black gold particles.

I've recently noticed a bad quality that I possess. When I run out of big things to write, I start finding little picky things, just to have something to do. Case in point - the distilled water. Sorry guys, I mean well.

goldsilverpro said:
AuMINIMayem,

Is the purple color in the strong cell sulfuric or in the diluted sulfuric and rinses? I've seen the purple color in both but more often in the diluted sulfuric. Unless you have cobalt or manganese present, which I doubt, it is most likely colloidal gold. It takes only a minute quantity of gold to create this color. It may or may not settle.

Yep, yep yep.. that's exactly what I'm seeing, can't tell if it's in the strong cell because it's so dark after a couple runs anyways, but definately in the rinses. Oddly enough, I rebuilt the cell (my old lady was p---'ed when she saw I used "HER" prex..LOL!). This time, not so much although everything else was the same, same product, same scrap, same cathode, same tap water.. only this time I did a LOT more scrap before filtering.. I also noticed that with the new rinses the purple actually got filtered out.

Maybe someone else could confirm this for me, but it is cerainly proving a fact for me that the "dirtier" the solution being filtered, the better job the filter does. Last time, the water was as purple coming out as it was going in. This time it came out damn near clear not to mention less of the purple being present. Could this alleged "colloidal gold" be dropping out as a solid precip because the cell is super saturated this time? Is there a "critical mass" point that needs to be reached before the gold begins to drop out as a precip?...Just a thought.

Thanks,
Derek

goldsilverpro said:
I've recently noticed a bad quality that I possess. When I run out of big things to write, I start finding little picky things, just to have something to do. Case in point - the distilled water. Sorry guys, I mean well.

There's nothing bad about hashing over details.. sometimes it can lead to discovery, especially when you have more than one person at varying levels of experience looking at it.. it's funny how that works. I always enjoy a healthy "brainstorming" session or debate.. I try to never walk away without at least having learned one thing.. 8)

Hey, thanks man. :) yeah, I'm one of those nut-jobs that doesn't just take a casual interest in anything.. if it gets my attention it gets my undivided attention. I don't know, I just like what I like, I guess.

The only hard part about when I take an interest in something like this is, I don't come with the hard formal education (some college, not much though) to understand the mechanics of how everything is working. Then again it's a good thing, for instance, when I see chemical formulas being listed on here, it's made me crack out the old books or do some research and try to relearn some basic chemistry, just so I can get up to speed and follow along. (haven't had chem since high school, forgot pretty much all of it by now, :shock: HA HA!)

goldsilverpro said:

Well, it may be annoying to some, but I, too, comment on the use of tap water in place of distilled water. I can't see any reason for distilled water with rare exception, making nitrate of silver being one of them, but even then only for testing purposes, or for electrolyte.

While it makes no difference that distilled water is used, it's a waste of money. I ran my own still, so I always had pure water at my disposal, and I still didn't use it. Fact is, you're doing these guys a service by reminding them that tap water is perfectly acceptable.

Harold

Harold_V said:
goldsilverpro said:

Well, it may be annoying to some, but I, too, comment on the use of tap water in place of distilled water. I can't see any reason for distilled water with rare exception, making nitrate of silver being one of them, but even then only for testing purposes, or for electrolyte.

While it makes no difference that distilled water is used, it's a waste of money. I ran my own still, so I always had pure water at my disposal, and I still didn't use it. Fact is, you're doing these guys a service by reminding them that tap water is perfectly acceptable.

Harold

I've been thinking about this debate for a couple of days now. I don't want to take sides or create hostility or what-have-you, I'm only going to put my couple of cents in and defend Steve for the following reason(s).

After reading many of his posts and watching his tutorials, I feel that Steve is a hobbyist who's goal is "refining" his gold to the highest quality he can. That's part of his goal and with us hobbyists, we all know that we put more money into it than we gain out of it (whatever hobby) at least 95% of the time.

Going on this train of thought, I can completely understand the use of distilled vs tap water. Moreover, if the ultimate goal is "refining" rather than "reclaiming" or "recovery", I find it difficult to justify cutting corners (and costs) to introduce an unknown variable into the process by using tap water.

So, in short (too late :lol: ) while we all agree that tap water is suitable for this, I can understand why the emphasis would be placed on distilled water IF the user's ultimate goal is pushing the envelope and challenge themselves to a refinement of the highest quality gold within the limitations of the average hobbyist.

Again, I'm not trying to create rifts.. I just enjoy a good debate. ;)

Being a newbie this sight has proven to be an extremely valuable resource. You guys are all great!

Derek

AuMINIMayhem said:
I find it difficult to justify cutting corners (and costs) to introduce an unknown variable into the process by using tap water.

In the spirit you discussed, where this subject needs airing, perhaps you can inform us what these unknown variables might be?

Before you respond, consider a few things.

If you add a few clean marbles to your gold chloride solution, will you have contaminated the final product?

If you introduce a bar of titanium to your gold chloride solution, assuming it is clean, will you have contaminated the final product?

If you introduce a few grains of table salt to your gold chloride solution, will you have contaminated the final product?

Some elements do not contaminate gold, even when they're in the system. Oxygen, for one.

Unless your water contains heavy metals, it's unlikely it will have an effect on your final product, one way or the other.

While using distilled water does no harm, its akin to washing your car, waxing it, then washing it and waxing it again. No harm----just not necessary.

All depends on what's in your water, doesn't it?

No, chlorine isn't a problem, not unless you're processing silver. Aren't you already adding chlorine in refining gold?

You can argue the point all day, even on a friendly basis, but when the smoke cleans, you don't need distilled water for gold processing.

Harold

I agree with Harold. Even iron in well water will come out in the wash. Most contamination comes from what you do or don't do after you dissolve the gold.

heyyyy... easy killer.. ;)

perhaps, I overstated my point.. my point is simply if you're trying to make the best cup of coffee ever, why not start off with a clean pot and clean water.. can't hurt.. can it?..

trust me, I feel ya on this, I do.. just trying to be objective about it.. ;)

We (the "newbies" you previously stated that you were trying to keep from wasting time and money) all understand you don't have to use it.. but I also understand the "starting with a clean slate" line of thinking.. perhaps I just work with too many engineers.. :lol:

at any rate, it's cool, man.. Steve's tutorials are VERY insightful and extremely helpful..

To make everyone here happy, from this point on let's all agree to just use the word 'water' when we are talking about H2O. That way we can leave it up to the member doing the experiment to decide whether they will use distilled or tap, agreed?

Should I go back and edit the word 'distilled' out of all of my videos and posts?

Steve

Noxx- I was just cracking a little joke. H30 is "Heavy Water" used in nuclear fission reactors. I don't think we really want to mess with that stuff! :p

Sorry for the confusion....

Fever

Latest posts

Back