Leach Color. What is it?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadybear

O.K. here is what I have done.
I used 1 quart of distilled water
1 quart of battery acid with 4 ounces
of sodium nitrate dissolved in it.

To this I added 1 pound of what I call pin heads.
These were taken off of gold plated pins, they were the
tips of the total pin and were held in with a spring and ball
set-up.

I have been wondering what they were made of.

So I left this set for 24 hours and then
rinsed with water to re-dissolve everything

Now I have a leach liquid it,s color looks light
brown with a strong yellow tint.
Like weak iced tea but you can see the yellowish
look.

If I dilute some of the leach liquid with distilled water it looks yellow brownish in color.

Any thoughts!

Shady,

Have you tried testing the solution for gold using Stannous Chloride?

Steve

It's possible since you have listed some of the key components of a persulfate compound. Persulfates CAN leech gold under the right conditions.

Steve

Shady Bear:

Couple of points:

I tried the same thing as you did in using Battery acid and nitrate soda mix. It did not work. I put 150 grams of good grade pins in the solution. The solution turned brown and did not dissolve the metal and leave the gold plated material.

I found out that Battery acid, ( purchased from NAPA) (electrolite is diluted about 10 to 1 with distilled water. It is very weak.

I then tried the same process with rooto professional drain cleaner and sodium nitrate solution, and ah-la it worked. You will only have the gold plated material (gold) left only. (hundreds of small hollow gold pins) The solution disolved all the other metals except the gold. I then strained the gold metal off and then ran it through a normal aqua regia solution and refined some very good gold from it.

You may want to check your battery acid strength. I also used some concentrated sulphric (70%) in the same test and it works good too, but pure sulphuric acid is hard to get.

note; This does not work on pins that have no metal exposed. It has to have a way of getting to the metal. Steve is correct, It will not dissolve gold.

PS. You may want to take your spent aqua regia and throw a hand full of pins, that have some metal exposed , in it and leave for about a week. You can accomplished the same thing. I do most of my Pentium 2 or 3 cpus this way.

Catfish

Back