look for someone who melt gold into bar without having to sell the bar in north bay area california

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowers22888

i am looking for someone or business that can melt gold jewelry into a bar without having to sell to him in north bay area California. let me know if you know anyone/business who does that.

If you really want to melt jewelry into a bar, it's probably cheaper (and more fun!) if you learn to do that yourself. For a smaller amount, up to maybe 150 g, I'd recommend getting a Bernzomatic TS-8000 torch and MAP gas, plus melting dishes and a graphite mold. For larger amounts, you can use a propane forge. I'd recommend Devil Forge - best prices and quality I know of.

If you really want to melt jewelry into a bar, it's probably cheaper (and more fun!) if you learn to do that yourself. For a smaller amount, up to maybe 150 g, I'd recommend getting a Bernzomatic TS-8000 torch and MAP gas, plus melting dishes and a graphite mold. For larger amounts, you can use a propane forge. I'd recommend Devil Forge - best prices and quality I know of.
i would prefer someone who does it more frequently. it kind of scares me.

There may be valid reasons for his request.
But it would be nice with an explanation.

I am located in Sacramento, CA. I melt gold, silver. bronze, copper, and pewter on a regular basis.

However, I, like many others who responded to your OP, would need to have the assurance of your ownership.

Peace and health,
James

I am located in Sacramento, CA. I melt gold, silver. bronze, copper, and pewter on a regular basis.

However, I, like many others who responded to your OP, would need to have the assurance of your ownership.

Peace and health,
James
we are a shop with secondhand license and we have jeweler customers who would buy gold bars for a bit more than refiner would pay as long as we melt down

Last edited:
I don't know of a jeweler that would want to buy a Hodge podge of various karat scrap melted all together. Most want a known karat, or pure so they can make their own karat value.

Maybe I'm just a natural skeptic, but all kinds of alarm bells are ringing in my head.

This is either a scam to hide questionable sources of jewelry, or the potential buyers of the bars are idiots. Not much room for error.

Answer Cosmetal. He will check to see if the license is legit.

Time for more coffee.

Jeweler who want to mess up Cu:Ag ratio in the melt due to various gold alloys present... that seems quite strange. Not all alloys will be soft and many odd 14 or even 18K alloys will be brittle and tough to work. By mixing literally every possible yellow or rose, white gold etc... I cannot imagine sane jeweler who would take this as working material.

But maybe I am missing something. Just know about this fact.

Some services charge a "Melt charge" to homogenize scrap before an assay.
Or if you are uncertain of which service to use, a homogenized bar lets you divide it up between prospective services.
You can then compare returns and know which person to use in the future.
Or just keep a drilling, so you can put people off trying to take an unauthorised cut, or have an independent assay before sale.
Once you get up above a few hundred grams of scrap, it starts becoming a pain to test item by item.

I sent you a PM asking for your shop's CA Secondhand and/or Pawnbroker license number.

I am interested if you are legit - thanks!

James
Thanks James. i would prefer someone closer. can't drive couple of hours during business hours to get gold melted.

Some services charge a "Melt charge" to homogenize scrap before an assay.
Or if you are uncertain of which service to use, a homogenized bar lets you divide it up between prospective services.
You can then compare returns and know which person to use in the future.
Or just keep a drilling, so you can put people off trying to take an unauthorised cut, or have an independent assay before sale.
Once you get up above a few hundred grams of scrap, it starts becoming a pain to test item by item.
bingo. do you know any refinery in the north bay who would do it for a melt charge without having to sell to them? Also there are times that i am not sure the refiner's xrf is accurate. i wonder sometimes if our xrf will have different readings from the refiners'. so it would be good to have gold melted down to a bar and show it to different local refineries to check them out.

Last edited:
bingo. do you know any refinery in the north bay who would do it for a melt charge without having to sell to them? Also there are times that i am not sure the refiner's xrf is accurate. i wonder sometimes if our xrf will have different readings from the refiners'. so it would be good to have gold melted down to a bar and show it to different local refineries to check them out.
If you have regular lots I would invest in a small gas furnace and do it yourself.
Nothing like the certainty that every thing has been included.
It would pay for its self in four or five melts.
You can clean it up a bit with flux and remelt several times so you get a good homogenized mix.
If you read and digest Ms Hoke you will be dividing with acid in no time.

I just melted down a bit of jeweler's scrap and the nominal '14k' material ranged from 11k-13k under the XRF gun. The '18k' came out more like 16k. I suspect recycled jewelry might get a little diluted over time.

Latest posts

Back