Looking for Canadian Nitric acid supplier

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently, one friend of mine (refiner) bought 50kg of tech grade 53% nitric for lower price than this 1 liter. That 50kg is roughly 37 L of 53% nitric = or equivalent of roughly 25L of 70% nitric by nitric content weight.

I see how it works, making dollar is not illegal... But I do not feel comfortable with straight rip-off.
Take for example ammonium nitrate fertilizer. It is completely made of ammonia, just one part of the molecule is oxidized ammonia to NOx gasses, adsorbed to water giving nitric acid.

Conveniently you (as regular person) can get ammonium nitrate fertilizer (in this or that form, somehow prevented of illicit use), which is essentially more "processed" and expensive nitric acid. For few euros/kg here. In bulk roughly 1000USD/ton. Contrary, there is awful lot of folks selling essentially precursor for this 1000USD/ton chemical at prices you seen - up to 85USD/L, which contain like 1 kg of actual pure nitric acid. Actually, anhydrous ammonia is more expensive, running around 1300USD/ton on the market (2022). Nitric acid (tech 50-53%) market price in september 2022 in US was around 400USD/ton (direct inquiry from factory).

So fertilizer you can access for dirt cheap, nitric acid is selled with huge huge margin to the small customer. I now wonder how much the bottle cost vs. how much actual nitric cost :D if divided to 1 or 2,5L containers.
Contact Mike at Transcontinental tool downtown Toronto. . They sell JSP nitric acid.

Recently, one friend of mine (refiner) bought 50kg of tech grade 53% nitric for lower price than this 1 liter. That 50kg is roughly 37 L of 53% nitric = or equivalent of roughly 25L of 70% nitric by nitric content weight.

I see how it works, making dollar is not illegal... But I do not feel comfortable with straight rip-off.
Take for example ammonium nitrate fertilizer. It is completely made of ammonia, just one part of the molecule is oxidized ammonia to NOx gasses, adsorbed to water giving nitric acid.

Conveniently you (as regular person) can get ammonium nitrate fertilizer (in this or that form, somehow prevented of illicit use), which is essentially more "processed" and expensive nitric acid. For few euros/kg here. In bulk roughly 1000USD/ton. Contrary, there is awful lot of folks selling essentially precursor for this 1000USD/ton chemical at prices you seen - up to 85USD/L, which contain like 1 kg of actual pure nitric acid. Actually, anhydrous ammonia is more expensive, running around 1300USD/ton on the market (2022). Nitric acid (tech 50-53%) market price in september 2022 in US was around 400USD/ton (direct inquiry from factory).

So fertilizer you can access for dirt cheap, nitric acid is selled with huge huge margin to the small customer. I now wonder how much the bottle cost vs. how much actual nitric cost :D if divided to 1 or 2,5L containers.

$6 a gallon for 69% where i buy it by the drum.
Nice price. Here, as small customer (say 1 drum or less for purchase), 65% nitric is more expensive than 53% nitric (in terms of nitric "contained"), at least by 20-30%. So we go with 53% tech grade, for the moment no special need to have more concentrated stuff - most of the time you dilute it anyway.

In case somebody need some bottled stuff, tech grade is not sold by say 1L bottle or 2,5L bottle. Only 65% or better concentration does. And by bottle it goes up to 4-5eur/L. 2,5 L bottle maybe 3-4eur/L. From 25L canister and higher, it is doable and for fair price :)

I think I've held out as long as I possibly can on this but it's time for me to obtain a few liters of nitric acid. One can only go so far in refining with HCL alone.
I've got a small pile of karat gold, lots of ceramic CPUs and plenty of sterling to refine. Some things I'd like to expand on like a silver cell for example.
I can't seem to find a local source of nitric acid here in Edmonton, AB. I've thought about making it but around here the nitrates are restricted and difficult to get.
I have not yet found a source of nitrates. Also, the thought of distilling nitric in my back yard is not appealing at this point in time.
I can buy it online for about $150 a gallon so I guess that's my last resort. But at that price it takes the fun and profit out of what I'm trying to accomplish.
Does anybody know of a source local to me?

Thanks
Buy sodium nitrate at the hydroponic shop I'm pretty sure most of not all. try it here in town and cleartech has sulphuric acid so you can make it your self readily enough use a old TV for a billing flask you could maybe try to ceramic coating a propane tank and using glass from that point on maybe stainless steel would work not to sure glassware is pretty cheap

Buy sodium nitrate at the hydroponic shop I'm pretty sure most of not all. try it here in town and cleartech has sulphuric acid so you can make it your self readily enough use a old TV for a billing flask you could maybe try to ceramic coating a propane tank and using glass from that point on maybe stainless steel would work not to sure glassware is pretty cheap
Welcome to us.
But you have some strange flask advice and I'm not sure that can be recommended.
Anyway, the post is 10 years old and has been answered many times in this forum.
Here is some recommended reading ;)

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Are you in Toronto?

I can get 25l(32kg) 60% nitric here for 49e but it is regulated over the 10% strenght.
Yet i can get without a permit 25kg of different nitrates in which sodium/potassium cost 110/115e, magnesium 75e . Calcium nitrate is pretty cheap too. No idea what yield on nitric could these give.

Latest posts

Back