looking for someone who is distilling his nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ericrm said:
[AuCl4 said:
-"]Hello, no problem friend..........I think its around 12 bucks but will last for many small batches of HNO3.

About the nitrate fertilizer that you use...........have you tested it for nitrates?

Here is a simple test.............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M3rUqaEYs

May nitrates fill your beaker friend!

it is 2 50lbs of sodium nitrate,and potassium nitrate, no need to test it, it is wroted on the bag :lol:
i swear maybe it was in my mind but a black car folowed me home after i got them in my truck ... :|

Maybe it was the FLQ bumper sticker on your truck. :mrgreen: 8)

your getting old Iron :lol: FLQ what a bs, now it is the kitchen ware that get the attention from the cop :mrgreen: :p

just to be clear ,im in shame of my poeple right now, they go in the streat for 300$/years ,but stay home when 300 children die from unger. quebec has become low in my heart

ericrm said:
your getting old Iron :lol: FLQ what a bs, now it is the kitchen ware that get the attention from the cop :mrgreen: :p

just to be clear ,im in shame of my poeple right now, they go in the streat for 300$/years ,but stay home when 300 children die from unger. quebec has become low in my heart

My parents were from Canuckistan.

I hear they were going to vote to secede from Canada until people found out the PQ was going to make poutine the national dish. :mrgreen:

im still having trouble with hydrochloric in my nitric
now i use potassium nitrate that i dissolve and crystalise 2 time and dilute sulfuric acid,the strenght is good, very reactive ,got a nice blue rather than the turquoise i was gotten before, way less hydrochloric acid in my nitric but still have some.... when i put silver in i still got white milk....

so my question is what is my contaminent ,and how do it remove it...
at first i tough it was NaCl but now ,i think it make more sence to be potassium chloride...
im looking to find a way to remove it...
do someone have the knowledge to tell me how 2 salt react in the same solution

can i push selectively one salt out.what i try to mean is, if i saturate a solution of kno3/kcl will one of the 2 salt get out ,or will they both get in and get out , or does water "love" one salt more than the other..... sorry for the hard explaining ,i hope you understand what im trying to ask......

butcher said:
Look into distilling the nitric acid; also a silver nitrate solution can remove traces of chlorides from your nitric acid (as insoluble silver chloride).
butcher said:
There are chlorides involved, possibly in chlorine added to drinking water, or in the nitrate salts themselves.

It is not from plain water.

You can add some silver nitrate solution to your cooled distilled nitric acid, any chlorides involved would precipitate as silver chloride (and so the silver can be recovered), let it sit long enough for the AgCl to settle before decanting your nitric, if you add silver nitrate to the nitric and no chlorides were involved you would see no precipitant or milky cloud when you added the silver nitrate solution the silver in this solution would cement if you used the nitric on copper, or you would be able to get the little bit of silver back later, your silver nitrate solution can be made from the same batch of nitric you distilled, if you wished (it may form some silver chloride as you dissolve the silver, this would also be an indication chlorides were involved).

i know butcher ,using your trick of silver to remove chloride is actualy what im doing ... , but if i could manage to remove all of the chloride in the beginning that would be the best way to go.it is already enuf trouble to make the nitric by hand that i wish ,if possible to not to have to deal with silver chloride after that. i think you understand

here the words finally got right in my mind...... at the same temperature will the most soluble salt push out of solution the less soluble salt ?????
so will kno3 push out kcl out of solution????

ericrm said:
butcher said:
Look into distilling the nitric acid; also a silver nitrate solution can remove traces of chlorides from your nitric acid (as insoluble silver chloride).
butcher said:
There are chlorides involved, possibly in chlorine added to drinking water, or in the nitrate salts themselves.

It is not from plain water.

You can add some silver nitrate solution to your cooled distilled nitric acid, any chlorides involved would precipitate as silver chloride (and so the silver can be recovered), let it sit long enough for the AgCl to settle before decanting your nitric, if you add silver nitrate to the nitric and no chlorides were involved you would see no precipitant or milky cloud when you added the silver nitrate solution the silver in this solution would cement if you used the nitric on copper, or you would be able to get the little bit of silver back later, your silver nitrate solution can be made from the same batch of nitric you distilled, if you wished (it may form some silver chloride as you dissolve the silver, this would also be an indication chlorides were involved).

i know butcher ,using your trick of silver to remove chloride is actualy what im doing ... , but if i could manage to remove all of the chloride in the beginning that would be the best way to go.it is already enuf trouble to make the nitric by hand that i wish ,if possible to not to have to deal with silver chloride after that. i think you understand

Easy, just buy reagent grade materials, otherwise, precipitate out the chlorides with Silver Nitrate. There is no other solution other than purchasing high purity Nitric Acid.

im a canadian backyard ched chemist... i dont have acces to nitric due to regulation/or price...
that realy disapoint me ... thank you all for the answer, it is realy apreciated

I know Silver Chloride is a pain to deal with, but It will be there, regardless. Just save it up until you have enough to convert into Silver metal. If you want to get rid of any chlorides beforehand, The Nitrate salt can be dissolved, Silver Chloride precipitated (if there is any) and recrystallized, or you can us Noxx's suggestion and use Ammonium Nitrate, but even that should be dissolved, filtered and recrystallized to remove any clay and pellet coating. The pellet coating may have an organic base, not a good idea to boil it with con Sulfuric and Nitrate together.

Ammonium Nitrate prill coatings:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie00030a024

Irons2 said:
The pellet coating usually has an organic base, not a good idea to boil it with con Sulfuric and Nitrate together.
:shock: woops

what would be the difference with Ammonium Nitrate? does ammonium nitrate fertilizer free of any chloride?

ericrm said:
Irons2 said:
The pellet coating usually has an organic base, not a good idea to boil it with con Sulfuric and Nitrate together.
:shock: woops

what would be the difference with Ammonium Nitrate? does ammonium nitrate fertilizer free of any chloride?

Ammonium Nitrate is produced by reacting Nitric Acid with Ammonia, but anti-caking agents are added, so it's good to check to be sure there's no Chloride contamination.

ericrm said:
im a canadian backyard ched chemist... i dont have acces to nitric due to regulation/or price...
that realy disapoint me ... thank you all for the answer, it is realy apreciated

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14970

im a bit scared of amonia because of the explosive possibility and my miss of knowledge...is ammonium nitrate safe to use to distillate nitric acid?

ericrm said:
im a bit scared of amonia because of the explosive possibility and my miss of knowledge...is ammonium nitrate safe to use to distillate nitric acid?

I wouldn't worry too much. If you want to get rid of the Ammonia, just add NaOH or KOH. The result will be Sodium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate with the Ammonia driven of as a gas. You can bubble the Ammonia into water to make Ammonium Hydroxide, which you can use to wash your precipitated Gold with.

I edited in red changed the word was, to the word wash what I believe Irons meant to type) Butcher

Don't forget, ammonia gas is very hard on the lungs and sinuses. If you have any sources of HCl (ie beakers/buckets of muriatic solutions) near the ammonia gas source, the work area will quickly begin to fill with a white ammonium chloride gas. If the sources of ammonia and HCl are plentiful enough. you'll have a tough time breathing anywhere near the reaction. Proper ventilation and containment is a must when working with ammonia gas near muriatic sources.

You won't realize how much HCl is in the air around you until the ammonium chloride starts to form.

Steve

Latest posts

Back