Looking for tin!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm seeing that makes me think buying tin (II) chloride salt would be a good idea to test for gold and other precious metals.
Etsy or eBay are good but I prefer Etsy since it is a lot cheaper.

Here an example
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/127...sHo2fkbf&eaid=1058260036803&x_eaid=526214016d

I say 2M tin chloride with 200 ml of 25-30% HCl with some tin to prevent the tin (II) chloride from converting into tin (IV) chloride.

Well, that is what we use it for, what were you going to do with it?

And as said making 200ml will be a waste, you will never manage to use it before it goes bad.
Even 50 ml will outlast its use time.

Hmm seeing that makes me think buying tin (II) chloride salt would be a good idea to test for gold and other precious metals.
Etsy or eBay are good but I prefer Etsy since it is a lot cheaper.

Here an example
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/127...sHo2fkbf&eaid=1058260036803&x_eaid=526214016d

I say 2M tin chloride with 200 ml of 25-30% HCl with some tin to prevent the tin (II) chloride from converting into tin (IV) chloride.

What is your intentions with these posts?
As I said previous in this thread "How is it possible to make this into an issue"

This is one of the easiest things we do,
so if you still need videos and step by step instructions to make Stannous chloride, then I will definitely
discourage you from doing any actual procedures at all.

Read Ms Hokes book, then read it again.
When you think you understand it, post the procedure you plan and we can guide you for optimizations.

Yes. It is in the link he posted.
Aah, my eyes tricked me again😊
I was looking for Lou’s post.

Anyway it puzzles me that the simplest reaction we do, could create such ruckus.

For all practical purposes it’s just:
Take some HCl, add some metallic tin and wait a bit.
And you are done, it’s not rocket science🤬

Plan to do this with my new tin (II) chloride to assume my gold is dissolving in the solution. On youtube you often just find a video saying dissolve tin in conc 31% HCl and sit while others say to put tin (II) chloride-15 g of it with 100 ml 35% HCl with dH20 150 ml into a large beaker and gently heat it up on a hotplate. Once it is all cooled at a few grams of tin. Store in a brown bottle.

Plan to do this with my new tin (II) chloride to assume my gold is dissolving in the solution. On youtube you often just find a video saying dissolve tin in conc 31% HCl and sit while others say to put tin (II) chloride-15 g of it with 100 ml 35% HCl with dH20 150 ml into a large beaker and gently heat it up on a hotplate. Once it is all cooled at a few grams of tin. Store in a brown bottle.
What do dissolving Gold have to do with this?
This is for testing if a solution has Gold, Platinum or Palladium in it.
You can not use it for dissolving Gold.

And if you want chemical pure Tin(ll)Chloride in optimum condition, yes you can do it that way.
It will cost more and so on , but why do it easy when you can do it the hard way :rolleyes:

I use a tin based solder, 1/8 inch diameter. I cut off an inch of the solder, cut that in pieces about an 1/8 of an inch long, add it to 15ml of Hcl, and 35ml water. I then run hot tap water on the side of the bottle until the reaction gets moving pretty good. (Not capped of coarse) It is ready to use. I make it in this quantity because that fits the size bottle I have. This usually lasts me 6 to 8 months. As Yggdrasil said, this isn't the rocket science of refining, it is the simplest reaction that provides us with very usable results. Save the brain strains for when doing the actual tough stuff later.

One thing, I think Lou said it at some point in the past, is to make it the same each time. This, I think, allows for a better idea of how much gold could be in solution as well as if there is gold in it. I have used what I call the 1-15-35 formula for several years now, a one pound roll of solder lasts a very long time.

With stannous, there is no assuming. Stannous is your eyes on, know for a fact you have gold in solution, along with other PGM's as well, once you learn to identify those others from the gold. The reason youtube has so many diffrent ways of making it, is because it can be made many different ways, and still work for testing the gold in solution. Look back at how many methods have been posted in this thread alone, and they all work.

Thanks yes there are many different types but do you know Paul73 what the shelf life would be of the solution I assume you have to use it right away.
Depends on the storage conditions. Keep cool and dark storage about 3 months I believe. Older solution results in lighter colors and longer time when testing. I mixed mine wrong, that recipe is actually from the web site for the seller of the product. I actually ended up purchasing some premade solution.

Thanks for the info.
What do dissolving Gold have to do with this?
This is for testing if a solution has Gold, Platinum or Palladium in it.
You can not use it for dissolving Gold.

And if you want chemical pure Tin(ll)Chloride in optimum condition, yes you can do it that way.
It will cost more and so on , but why do it easy when you can do it the hard way :rolleyes:
I know I was saying it an Qualitative test like using conc 96% sulfuric acid and iron sulfate to test for gold (Alternative).

That is just the way I am I have Autism. Also if you want to detect gold Iron sulfate in a beaker with a few drops of 98% sulfuric acid works too it drops out the gold and it another method.
Daniel,
How comes, you ask something, you get a detailed answer and you suggest a totally different way for doing it. Or you trying to change the recipe.Thar

Back