MAKING STANNOUS CHLORIDE

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cryxis said:
Nevermind parents said it wouldn't last the few hours for the reaction and we don't have any spare ones for later.
They said I could bring it in to make the stannous chloride as long as it doesn't produce fumes...
I can't find anywhere that concerns or Denny's if it does
Does the process of making at annoys chloride produce fumes?

If you go to a yard sale and find a coffee maker without a pot you can buy that and use it for your heat source.

Additional, HCl over 25-30% evolves even a visible nasty vapor, you don't want to get a nose of. Further it makes all iron and often even stainless around rust. When tin dissolves in HCl, tiny hydrogen bubbles will burst at the surface and make an aerosol to some degree.

HCl fumes regardless. Stannous chloride fumes in warm air and so the fumes can't be seen. The white film that forms on glassware over time, in close proximity of the solution is tin oxide that condenses out of the fumes.

Would the solution work, if I use stannous chloride and HCl only (without metalic tin)? I have a problem to get pure tin, everything they have here is a mixture of 60% tin and other metals...

It will work fine, but it won't last as long. Over time, stannous chloride oxidizes into stannic chloride. If there is metallic tin present, the tin reacts with the stannic chloride to form stannous chloride again, allowing the solution to last longer.

Make tiny batches as needed and it will work fine. Keep it in a cool dark place when not in use, and keep it in as small a container as possible to keep air in the container to a minimum. You can also add a thin layer of mineral spirits to prevent the air from contacting the solution.

Dave

Geo said:
i dissolve all the metal the solution will hold and then put solution in my dripper bottle with a small piece solder in the bottom to keep the solution active.
Where can I get the dripper bottles? I have mine right now in a 100ml (I think) capped test tube. Getting a little hard to get a dropper into it for testing.
Rusty

rewalston said:
Geo said:
i dissolve all the metal the solution will hold and then put solution in my dripper bottle with a small piece solder in the bottom to keep the solution active.
Where can I get the dripper bottles? I have mine right now in a 100ml (I think) capped test tube. Getting a little hard to get a dropper into it for testing.
Rusty

The cheapest might be a Visine bottle (eye drops) or ear drops. You can also try a salon (some carry pipettes too), or local pharmacy.

Edit - Pet stores might have them also, they would be used to administer medicine or milk to pets.

Grelko said:
rewalston said:
Geo said:
Rusty

The cheapest might be a Visine bottle (eye drops) or ear drops. You can also try a salon (some carry pipettes too), or local pharmacy.

Edit - Pet stores might have them also, they would be used to administer medicine or milk to pets.
Thank you Grelko, I might have a small eye drop bottle I can use, I'll have to see if I can get the top off. If I can I'll rinse it really well before putting SnCl into it.

You're welcome.

Before I forget, swimming pool stores should carry them also. They come in the kit for testing your pool PH, might be a bit expensive though. I don't think they sell the bottles separately.

Latest posts

Back