Making Stannous

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moo

Hi guys n girls,
Im in a position atm where I have no stannous or source of tin at least not that I know of apart from some sinkers I once made from lead/tin solder If I dissolved these sinkers in acid would there be a way to drop the tin?

You need to go to hardware store, radio shack, Ebay, or some where and look at their solder, read the labels, look for 95% tin 5% antimony, no resin.

Smash a little piece with clean hammer and anvil, dissolve in a little hydrochloric acid, heat helps, let antimony settle, filter cooled solution into your test bottle, add a small piece of the elemental tin, to give the solution a little longer shelf life.

Separating tin and lead can be done, when needed, but it is not something you would want to do when making your test solution.

Thanks butcher been planning on doing it this way since you first suggested it to me but closest I can find on ebay is this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lead-Free-Solder-1-0mm-1m-RHOS-99-3Sn-0-7Cu-Soldering-/260708426639?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item3cb36ee38f

99.3% Sn .7 Cu what confuzzles me is it mentions flux being present down the page a bit.
maybe order an ingot? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1000-GRAMMS-TIN-METAL-INGOT-INGOTS-BULLION-GREAT-CASTING-LEAD-/261018614836?pt=AU_Bullion&hash=item3cc5ebfc34

Yes am in Australia, land of little tin :)
trying my best to avoid ordering from america if I can as id rather not have to wait 2 weeks for such a simple thing. Thanks for the link appreciated,

Thankyou for your most generous offer Scott however I have found a chemical supplier that I can order some from so problem is now solved,

I got some fishing weigh at Wal-Mart they are not lead. How can check if they are tin or not? They are silver in color and soft to cut.

probably zinc. scratch a spot till its shiny and put a drop of vinegar on it and see if it bubbles.

jmdlcar said:
I got some fishing weigh at Wal-Mart they are not lead. How can check if they are tin or not? They are silver in color and soft to cut.
They will also squeak if bent. Tin does that.

Zinc has a blue tint, while tin has a hint of a yellow color. The two should not be easy to confuse.

Harold

Could also try: dissolve a small piece of the suspected tin in HCl, wet a Qtip with some gold chloride solution, drop a drop of the suspected tin solution onto the Qtip, see if you get the purple of cassius,
(just as you would use this test an old stannous chloride solution to see if it is still good after sitting on the shelf for some time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin

Apparently if you rub tin and smell it you'll know if its tin for sure because it smells like well youll know if it is :) at least thats what I heard.

what is the ratio for making aqueous stannous chloride?

i have stannous salts and i would like to test my ar sollution for gold. the solution contains nitric acid, muriatic, urea, smb,h2o, maybe compounds of gold silver copper zink tin and lead. its a mix of various ar test batches. some had high karat gold, some only had plated and filled gold jewelery. i got this b4 reading hoke. hoke is unclear on the mixture quantities of the stannous sest solution.

my first batch of test solyution has 3.5 grams of stanous salt, 7 ml of hcl (34%) and 15 ml of tap water but it showed no color change on my ar solution.

help? i need the foumula and/or mixing ratios for preparing stannous chloride testing solution from salt.

lazersteve said:
Hoke gives all the details on making stannous chloride.

Steve

HOKE SAYS
"Take about a pennyweight of the
stannous chloride crystals (also called tin salts) in the dropping
bottle, add a pennyweight or less of tin metal, and fill the bottle
three-fourths full of water. Ordinary tap water will do. Now add
a little hydrochloric acid, about 25 or 30 drops to a 30 cc. bottle."

i dont know what a pennyweight is exactly. id estimate 1-10 grams but its not clear nor safe when you are forced to guess at mixtures.

also i dont have a dropper to count 25 drops and i dont know how many mL is in a 30cc bottle. i need to know exact measurements and or ratios to make stannous chloride aqueous solution to test gold. the formula i tried making from hokes explanitionation is not working. i touch a q-tip to my yellow ar solution the qtip turns yellow. than i put a drop of the solution made absed off of hokes sugestions. and it turned the qtip back to white...

what does it mean?

Latest posts

Back