MAPP torch for gold melting?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a boiler repair place. That repairs boilers that are used in home heating. They use the ceramic fiber insulation in boilers. If you go by there shop most the time they will give you scrap pieces for free for they toss them out......Also they use castable refractory cemet that you can buy to make your own mini furnace.

Todd aka meanie

a little pricey but there when you need it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/chimney-sweepreg%3B-furnace-cement-gray-16-fl-oz

If I buy Rutland 600 Castable Refractory Cement, 12.5 lbs would that be enough to build a furnace? I know it should build a small furnace could build a bigger one?

Jack

The best i can tell you is if you make one smaller than the bucket it comes in
like a coffee can one. the floor and sides are poured and whats left from the center is use to make a lid for it, heres a link to look at them.
http://backyardmetalcasting.com/ccfurnace01.html
The rutland you are talking about is only rated for 2200f.
If you can find a boiler repair place near you they have castable refrac that
rated at up to 3000f. and most will sell you a 50# bag.

MEANIE aka Todd

I am sorry jack but thats like saying how fast can my chevy go.
AS in heat do you mean how hot will the max temp of the flame be or how many btu,s it will put out?
or will it work to melt pms?
I think it will melt these that are under 2000F degrees
in one of the little homemade furnaces
Aluminum Al 659 1218
Brass (85 Cu 15 Zn) Cu+Zn 900-940 1652-1724
Bronze (90 Cu 10 Sn) Cu+Sn 850-1000 1562-1832
Cast Iron C+Si+Mn+Fe 1260 2300
Carbon C 3600 6512
Chromium Cr 1615 3034
Copper Cu 1083 1981
Gold Au 1063 1946
Hydrogen H -259 -434.2
Inconel Ni+Cr+Fe 1393 2540
Iron Fe 1530 2786
Lead Pb 327 621
Magnesium Mg 670 1240
Manganese Mn 1260 2300
Monel Ni+Cu+Si 1301 2400
Nickel Ni 1452 2646
Phosphorous P 44 111
Silicon Si 1420 2588
Silver Ag 961 1762
Stainless Steel Cr+Ni+Mn+C 1363 2550
Steel-High Carbon Cr+Ni+Mn+C 1353 2500
Medium Carbon Cr+Ni+Mn+C 1427 2600

There just to many variables how you use it to be shure

Todd
edit first numbers are celsius second are fahrenheit

Do you think I could have problems with Rutland 600 Castable Refractory Cement and TS8000 torch to melt gold?

Jack

I am not smart enough to tell you yes and be right
but if you make a coffee can furnace and use a porcelain crucible in it i think it will work out for you..
allso when you mix up the cement use as little water as you can. Cover it with a moist towel so the water in it will evaporate and not form a skin on it . Then let it dry for a few days . Then you need to heat it slowly so you do not get a steam explosion.( Its where the water turns to steam and is traped in the cement and causes the cemet to blow out chunks)

Please let some others chime in here that knows more.
Or tell you in the right words so you dont get hurt.

Todd

Jack, if you are just using a propane torch without any oxy, the refractory at 2200F should work just fine. 2200 is its rating but it can withstand temperatures much hotter. it has to be rated due to insurance purposes. many such things give a rating at its lowest range instead of its highest. which means there is an operating range to work with. its not going to melt or blow up if you heat it to 2300F.

Geo, I have the propane tank and mapp take (yellow). I know the mapp tank will get hotter then the propane tank. Should it still be fine?

Jack

cast-able refractory is soft and flake off easily it is a good insulator for your furnace if applied several inches thick, you should use some type of support, like pieces of thick wire welded to your furnace wall, or some type of screen wire screwed or riveted in spots to your furnace wall, as support (kind of like re-bar in concrete), also you should use a wash coat of refractory mortar on the outside surface, like Sairset, it will cook hard and form a solid crust on the surface of the walls (kind of like hardened stucco, and withstand a higher temperature, than the cast-able refractory would alone, and can handle the flames of your burner better, to repair the furnace you will remove the flaked washcoat, cut grooves into any cracks of the cast-able refractory and apply another wash-coat of Sairset.

That's why I tried it first. Then I was sold and bought some. I can send you a piece to try. If you think it works well, you can get more via a number of avenues. What I do is place a piece on the bottom of the melting dish and then place it around the dish.
use it like insulation, pack around the bowl and maybe cover half of the top of bowl. it will work and help a bunch. i get mine 1" off ebay

Back