Material identification

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g_axelsson said:
Yellow is an aluminium film capacitor, not worth anything.

And I don't think the braided copper mantle is silver plated. Tin would be a much more probable choice. Add a drop of HCl and if it's tin it will dissolve.

Göran

Hi, last night I was doing seme experiment anf tested 2 types of mesh.

1 - Mesh from antena cable ( cable diameter is about 1 CM / 0.4 Inches ) put 2 minutes in AP dolution and silverish color dissapeared allmost instantly.

2- Mesh from pigtail cable which we discussed ( photos above ) did not react at all even after 10 minutes.

Hello all

I’m new to the form, I have been reading the discussions – very informative! A lot of experience and knowledge.
But I’m still left with a few question (I did search) I was hoping could be clarified.
1. Tantalum capacitors: I opened some up and some are black, some are green, pink does it matter?
It’s still Tantalum pellet? Or some other metal?
2. From what I know the price of Tantalum is 3 times gold but scrap prices for tantalum capacitors is very low, trying to figure that out.

Thank you in advance
UrbenMiner

Attachments

• 20201014_090637.jpg
    8.3 MB
  • 20201014_120613.jpg
    20201014_120613.jpg
    2.6 MB
  • 20201014_091105.jpg
    20201014_091105.jpg
    2.6 MB
Urben Miner2 said:
2. From what I know the price of Tantalum is 3 times gold but scrap prices for tantalum capacitors is very low, trying to figure that out.

I can't answer your first question, but I believe you're mistaken on the second. From what I can find, tantalum is priced in hundreds of dollars per pound, while gold is close to $2,000 per ounce.

I could be wrong.

Dave

jimdoc said:
But what is the is the historical Gold price per metric ton?

I do not bother with historic prices, but current price of gold is about $60 million per metric ton.

Time for more coffee.

The difference in color is probably just the thickness of the oxide layer, more depending on the working voltage.

Göran

Urben Miner2 said:
Hello all

I’m new to the form, I have been reading the discussions – very informative! A lot of experience and knowledge.
But I’m still left with a few question (I did search) I was hoping could be clarified.
1. Tantalum capacitors: I opened some up and some are black, some are green, pink does it matter?
It’s still Tantalum pellet? Or some other metal?

Thank you in advance
UrbenMiner

The can of that Ta cap was also Ta.

Ta is weighed in pounds not TOZ.
Eric

Latest posts

Back