May have made the cardinal sin...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devildog

Supporting Member
I have been refining about half a kilo of silver... I got my buckets mixed up that had some silver chloride in one, and some silver powder in the other. Poured hcl in the one with the silver powder in it and now have a mix of powder and chloride...
Can I still go forward with the lye and sugar method or am I in hot water?
Thank you to all who will advise and educate on this.
CHEERS!!

Attachments

• 17246531065595176241883507140900.jpg
    17246531065595176241883507140900.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I have been refining about half a kilo of silver... I got my buckets mixed up that had some silver chloride in one, and some silver powder in the other. Poured hcl in the one with the silver powder in it and now have a mix of powder and chloride...
Can I still go forward with the lye and sugar method or am I in hot water?
Thank you to all who will advise and educate on this.
CHEERS!!
As Orvi says.
If you want, you can do the halfway conversion and dissolve the Silver Oxide and Silver in one go.
Your main issue here is Lab Hygiene, you simply can not allow these mix ups to happen, this time you were lucky.
So you NEED to label your Chemicals better.

As Orvi says.
If you want, you can do the halfway conversion and dissolve the Silver Oxide and Silver in one go.
Your main issue here is Lab Hygiene, you simply can not allow these mix ups to happen, this time you were lucky.
So you NEED to label your Chemicals better.
Yes indeed. It was my fault 100%. I typically have different color buckets that per color are for which I know of. But the on bucket cracked. So I had two orange buckets available which caused my fumble.
Will never do that again haha
Cheers friend. Thank you again for helping me.

I had close to the same issue except that my Distilled Water had either a salt or chlorine in it.
A large amount of silver was made to silver chloride in my run of 850 grams of contacts.
So I ended up running in NITRIC again and got silver nitrate and chloride seperated.

I believe it took less nitric than I thought the second time run. Was figuring this out about the so-called distilled water mess.
Wasted some nitric, but was able to digest some more sterling with it.

My practice experiment I wanted to drop with copper, which I sort of messed up by not diluting the silver nitrate enough, however I need to learn a lot also.
In many instances the hard way.
For some reason I do get cleaner silver using LYE and SUGAR method.

Back