auric sodium chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
currently i use empty jam jars if i heat it will broken

at all i have check the solution with the hcl which i have tried to made and result is negative (if there is really enough amount of tin have been dissolved)

bastinado said:
currently i use empty jam jars if i heat it will broken
If you heat them slowly, they will not break.

First, heat them in Water, or Steam.

That might be enough.

Use a cooking pan full of water, put that in a fire, put the jam jar in the water, making sure that it will not fall over.

Either that, or a sand bath would work for them.
Canning jars can handle heat, what they cannot manage, is extreme temperature changes.

You can find good lab glass for cheap online. Just dont buy off ebay. The first "kit" I got from there, had 12 pieces and 3 of them were damaged when I got them, and were very thin.
The knockoff stuff about burned down my garage.. Long story..

Anyways.
Its best to go to a reputable online vender.

Erm, almost ALL of my glass is from ebay/China.

It has All stood up perfectly to everything i have thrown at it, including high temperature (300C+) distillations and vacuum with absolutely no problems at all.

All bought from sellers like ben013.

On one occasion i bought 3 Erlenmeyers from a seller called Carter Scientific (USA) and they arrived with 1 smashed and the other two with air bubbles in the glass, so useless for heating. When i complained there was no chance of a refund or replacement. When i got a broken Chinese item, they sent a replacement for free.

Chinese stuff may have been bad in the past.

All i can say is that all my glassware from China is excellent and does not break, apart from when i am clumsy, usually when i'm cleaning up.

Edit: Please tell us about the Garage !

My stuff came from Seattle

When it arrived, I immediately took pictures of the 2 flasks and beaker that had flaws/bubbles. They sent me replacements for free, even footed the bill for shipping.

Coincidentally, the flawed ones are still alive and kicking.. Probably because I haven't used them in heated reactions and the like.

Dissolving ceramic cpu's in heated AR is hell on glassware, and I attribute that, to why the majority of my glassware got cracks, etc..

Actually Topher it's ceramic itself that's hard on the glass. When the two meet with any minor force the glass cracks. My only cracked glassware is from exactly this, usually from loading the broken ceramics prior to dissolution.

Firemen in the UK ( and possibly in the US) used to carry a broken spark plug in their pockets because tapping the sharp white end on a car window shatters it instantly with minimal effort. It's almost explosive in the action. Vandals of olden days would walk down a road tapping car windows as they went.

Adding H202 or exposing the solution to Air will Oxidize the Tin II, thus defeating the purpose of using SnII to detect Gold by reducing it to the fine purple Au(0).

On edit:

The purple is a function of the particle size and the way it reflects light, not the color of Gold. Tin II is a strong reducing agent and is a poor choice for precipitating Gold, and leaving a purple gel in its place.

The reason for asking for details is the OP's question involves a specific species of gold salt. Why would one add salt to aqua regia if aqua regia would dissolve the gold without the salt? My original thought was that Hydrochloric Acid and Sodium Chlorate were used to digest finely divided gold.

If Hydrochloric / Sodium Chlorate was used, there would be no prerequisite to denox the solution. But as I said in my post above, there is no sense in speculation on our part until we have more details from the OP concerning his process. Simple question actually?
So if I put a bunch of gold fingers in a mixture of muriatic acid(HCL) and sodium hydroxide, the gold would be reduced into the liquid? Or could it just be strained with cheese cloth? I’m dumb

So if I put a bunch of gold fingers in a mixture of muriatic acid(HCL) and sodium hydroxide, the gold would be reduced into the liquid? Or could it just be strained with cheese cloth? I’m dumb
Welcome.
If you add HCl and NaOH you will get table salt and water.

We usually use Cupric Chloride leach (aka AP) for this.

Here are some links for your studies:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

The hydroxide is a caustic alkali.
HCL acid.
If you add the hydroxide to acid solution you would start to raise the PH.
However if Sodium Nitrate were used with HCL you would start to dissolve not only the gold but the other metals. (copper, nickel layers).

There are reactions in the solution that can become violent as you go along.
When cold this is slow but as heated up the reaction will go faster. This is where you have to pay attention.
This would become a fairly dirty solution because there is more copper than gold.
Also as the base metals build up enough the gold will drop out as a brown powder.
Then you need to collect foils and powders and refine these.

YGG mentions AP, read this. It is a slow process however works well.
When done correctly the foils fall off the fingers. (time 1 or more weeks).
Needs air bubbling.
Collect foils.

I find it easier to use a smaller container/bucket with holes placed in a larger container.
When collecting foils:
The small container/bucket you can lift in/out slightly and work on getting most foils in larger container/bucket.
Then take holed container out and clean/rinse foils in another bucket.
The object being is to save the original AP bucket liquid as it will work for many more times processing foils.
Its somewhat time consuming.

You can filter this AP solution to collect your foils and brown powder.
Think you get brown metal gold powder if you used a bunch of peroxide.
However this also depends on how many fingers you will process.
I processed many many 10's of pounds of fingers in a 5 gallon bucket of only one and the same AP solution of less than 3 gallons AP.

So I would suggest use little to no Peroxide (just air bubbling) because if only a small amount of fingers is to be processed some gold may stay in liquid solution.

This is something that should be researched and read about including process for scale/quantity of material.
The forum is full of information and needs to be searched.

Hope this helps a bit.

Back