Melting 'practice'

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as were on the subject
I purchased a rosebud for my oxy/acetylene
But when I fired it up I couldn't make the flame
Small, it would just detonate every time I adjusted
It down
Is this due to my cheap setup or am I not doing
Something right?
Any of you guys use a rosebud?
Thanks

The larger the holes the more gas flow has to be supplied to prevent flash back.

Too large of a rose bud won't have a quiet setting. The one that came with a torch rig I bought is far to large for me to use as well.

Acetylene oxygen torch rose buds are great when you need a lot of heat like when you want to heat a thick piece of metal cherry red hot to bend it easily or forge it, these were not made to be able to adjust too low, and would not be good for melting gold in a dish, but if you already have the gold melted and need more penetrating heat over a wide area like when trying to make a bar in a mold changing to a rose bud can give you the heat needed to get the bar and mold hot enough, the rose bud can also be used like a burner in a furnace where the burner flame heats up the whole furnace and the flame heats the whole crucible from the outside the large forceful flame needed to heat a large area and penetrate deep through thick material to melt gold in the crucible, but where the forceful whirling flame does not blow down into the crucible to blow the material out before it can be melted.

Sometimes I use the cutting torch without using the oxygen lever; in this fashion it can act like a rose bud torch, with good torch use and control you can melt gold in the dish.

I believe Harold used a rose bud, but he must of used one for jewelers (just me guessing here), these are most likely different probably much smaller, than the ones we use for heating thick steel with that the acetylene oxygen torch was designed for.

There are all different sizes both for cutting and heating rosebud. A full line catalog may be the best place to look for one. Not all welding supply houses stock every size. The pin hole ones might need to be matched to a torch handle and ordered.

Thoughts on this crucible? http://www.hometrainingtools.com/30-ml-crucible-and-lid/p/CE-CRULF30/ lack of spout is my only problem. But is seems to be glazed already with something would you pass this up? I was thinking about getting one and was not sure what to think

Jack

I already have an Oxy-Acet. Gas rig with a plethora of tips and cutters.

When I get the extra cash I'm getting this!

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php

Small, light weight, and they sell an oxy-propane rosebud.! Most rosebuds are for making very large flames. Not this one! It was made to braze weld aluminum. Very small, but wide flame.
Check out some of the videos.

Derek

Yep ,i had a vf750r street bike and
Every time i layed it down i got to
Watch my radiater get welded.
He used a very quit flame but hugr
In size to heat the entitre piece all
At once.

Steyr223 rob

Latest posts

Back