Merged Topics on Ceramic CPU Recovery with Yields

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy five pack..
One sodium nitrate
urea
ammonium clorur
borax
sodium metabisulfite
dissolve cpu
and filter with cloth

and add urea when .. for down fizzy

after add smb (but dont clear AR ) then I think pack mix maybe
because My SMb pack litle others..
1 cm3 Smb 1,45 gr
1 cm3 ammonium clorur 1,52 gr
1 cm3 borax 1,72 gr

then I think My litle pack borax

and after I try others..
All story.. I think chemical store make wrong..

I did not see HCL in your list, that is why I asked when you said 1lb of HCL
What you have is NH3CL ammonium choride.

Sue said:
We used Pentium pro chips...2 AMD, the 2 INTEL per test. Crushed all to minus 200 after removing metal. Then recombined metal with ground silica for the final digestions.

What process did your lab use to digest? (microwave digestion?)Is adding silica part of your digestion process?

When you crushed everything after removing metal, how did you remove the metal?

Sue is no longer a member of this board. He was banned for many reasons.

Harold

hi why i ahave come across any one usine hydrazine for percipitation directly from disolved cpu solution acidic

:D hi ,thanks for asking ,but u have to be carefull with this process
u habe to have hot AR and distill water hot as well and then to AR add 2ml or hydrazine and add water slowly u will see gold raining down.as reaction slow down repeat until u see white fizz on top, hope it work s for u too
:idea:

pramodkumar said:
:D hi ,thanks for asking ,but u have to be carefull with this process
u habe to have hot AR and distill water hot as well and then to AR add 2ml or hydrazine and add water slowly u will see gold raining down.as reaction slow down repeat until u see white fizz on top, hope it work s for u too
:idea:

Ar is hot then we are evaporate nitric ?
can you teach step by step.. And picture

Hi ALL, Just one question about this POOR MAN'S AR recipe the first time that I took notes on this process it was stated for 2 two pounds of CPU's 2 cups HCL- 8oz. sodium Nitrate dissolved in 8oz. H2o,,
Now I see that through trial and ""learning"" I now see that the addition of the sodium nitrate is being done in small ammounts too minimize the amount of NITRIC ACID formed minimizing any excess,,, Now my question is Is the sodium Nitrate now being added " UN-DISSOLVED " at 2 two tablespoons at a time letting the reaction calm befors adding more.. when completely all disolved that will.. Adjust PH to 1.25 using dissolved - FILTERED - UREA.. Then continue with process as explained.
MARK

I would stay away from the use of urea and use the boil down method of removing nitric once you are satisfied all values are in solution. Although this can take a bit more work it avoids many complications.

Mark,

The modified poor man's AR works very much like GSPs controlled use of nitric acid with true AR. The small additions of Nitrate are stopped once the metallic solids are all dissolved with CPUs.

This in essence virtually eliminates the need to denox the solution.

Boiling down a poor mans AR solution will result in lots of troublesome salts. The key is to exactly control the nitrate additions so denoxxing is not required. Harold has suggested (and it works quite well) adding a known weight gold button into the reaction to quench the last of the nitric. By reweighing the remaining button you can calculate the amount of gold you added to the reaction so you don't upset your yield figures when refining for customers.

Steve

You are right Steve about the salts, I had a slip in forgetting the source of the nitrates. My bad.

would having the fumes condensce back into the reaction vessel be good ?? refering too the frozen marbles sealed above the vessel in a bottle dripping back in.. and I noticed it is 2 teaspoons NOT Tablesp--- As i had said ...

Attachments

• 100_0284.JPG
    100_0284.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,183
Again, sorry to revive a very old thread, but JUST HOW MUCH GOLD IS IN EACH PENTIUM PRO CPU?

I read and re-read and re-re-read Man Named Sue's description and still could not figure out if there is .35g or .7g per CPU.

I just had my lab assistant repeat your first experiment. We do every quant testing 3 three times around here.

We used pentium pro chips...2 AMD, the 2 INTEL per test. Crushed all to minus 200 after removing metal. Then recombined metal with ground silica for the final digestions.

Ok, so 3 tests for each CPU type, with 2 CPUs per test, so that would be a total of 12 CPUs (6 Intel, 6 AMD)?

The AMD ones yielded 1.1479 grams +/- .001% in the 3 tests.

The Intel's yielded slightly more at 1.2873 grams +/- .001% in the 3 tests.

So is that 1.1479g per 6 CPUs, or 1.1479g per test batch of 2 CPUs, or 1.1479g per CPU?

There is WAY too much ambiguity in that description. Very unsatisfying, and thus I consider the actual amount still unknown, despite this tantalizingly accurate data.

And by the way, although I'm sure the point is moot by now, Steve is right: there is no such thing as an AMD "Pentium Pro", not the least of which is because the primary reason why Intel started calling their processors "Pentium" was to thwart AMD ("Pentium" is copyrighted by Intel). I don't know what AMD's equivalent of the Pentium Pro was (K5 PR200?) but AMD never made such a beefy chip with as much obvious gold. Physically they are different chips, and I would never expect anyone to be offering to sell "AMD Pentium Pro" chips.

I'm a fan of precision. I try to devote my life to being as precise as possible (for better or worse). I want some answers, damn it, and I want them now!!!

As a side note,

I posted this follow up in another thread...

Mysterious Socket 8

Sue's AMD 'data' was obviously skewed.

For the record Pentium pro cpus are reported to yield between 0.5 grams to 0.75 grams for each cpu. I have not confirmed this and it is very important to process the gold plated lids and braze to get this yield.

I have nearly a hundred PP's on hand, so I'll try to follow up with actual numbers when I can.

GSP has recently suggested that the ceramic substrate does not contain any fine gold wires, merely molybdenum traces. The hair fine wires are in the die cavity under the bottom lid only. Arthur has reported yields of Palladium and possible Gold from crushing left over ceramics from cpus and then processing. It likely depends on the cpu and the manufacturer.

I have lots of intact cpu ceramics that are free of pins and surface gold. I'm saving them until I get a good crusher just in case.

Steve :wink:

One note that I haven't seen yet (though I'm sure it's been mentioned):

Many CPUs have more collectable value than their gold value. MUCH more. Early Intel CPUs (specifically, their first ones such as the 4004, 8008, and early 8080s) are worth hundreds, sometimes over a thousand dollars. Well, at least they did before Wall Street bankers put us on a path towards a Road Warrior existence.

Since so many of these babies are being melted down by guys like us for the gold, and being that our global financial system may well be re-capitalized with gold in a couple years to fix the mess we've been plunged into, I predict relatively very few CPUs will survive the current era and anyone holding on to large stores of CPUs 20 years from now will be sitting on a (literal and figurative) gold mine.

To that end, see the photo for my future savings (dang, I guess that was a smudge on the lens after all). I figure in a worst case scenario, where it comes down to enjoying the beauty and nuance of these vs. having food and shelter for my family, I'll just start processing them. For now, they are my cpusmatics collection. I actually have half that again stacked away in boxes, and half of that again laying about here and there. Not to mention the ones inside the computers of my collection, which would be twice or probably even thrice that. But those are never going to be considered gold ore...they are priceless.

I figure in time people might use them as money, or perhaps sooner as poker chips for gambling. At some point you might be able to trade one for a Happy Meal, considering the gold they contain will be worth serious money.

Speaking of which, I also include two photos of the inside of a Pentium and 486 CPU. These were ones that would not separate easily from their aluminum heatsinks, so I ended their puny little existence. Actually, it was an accident, but now it presents itself as an opportunity to post more photos of CPU innards for those who are curious.

Attachments

• 486 behind the scenes.JPG
    486 behind the scenes.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Pentium behind the scenes.JPG
    Pentium behind the scenes.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Gold Mine.JPG
    Gold Mine.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,733
I have nearly a hundred PP's on hand

Good god, man! That's two ounces of trapped Au!

Nice.

I know I have more in a box somewhere but that box is currently misplaced. I have about 40-45 that I know of for sure. I love finding P-Pros. It makes me horny.

P.S. Please do report what you yield when you do the P-Pros. It would be great to have a more definitive answer. I'd like to be able to take a stack of 41 out with me and impress the ladies with my wealth.

Back