Meteorite Discussion

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, in my opinion, the item above has no visible characteristics of meteorites.

Evidence, such as a written opinion by an established meteorite research lab could persuade me. The images you have provided, however, do not.

Time for more coffee.
Did you actually get an education on meteoritics, or is it the opinions that matter? I only ask because I effectively have read your reply and have a one sentence question that sums up the obvious. No comment from you about the shattered pyroxene either, so my next question would have to be did you even read my reply, or was it too long for you to be bothered?

It's really not my place to educate you because frankly, You should be intelligent enough to do your own research. When you can give me a definitive answer about my question regards the shattered pyroxene we can continue the debate...

Did you actually get an education on meteoritics, or is it the opinions that matter? I only ask because I effectively have read your reply and have a one sentence question that sums up the obvious. No comment from you about the shattered pyroxene either, so my next question would have to be did you even read my reply, or was it too long for you to be bothered?

It's really not my place to educate you because frankly, You should be intelligent enough to do your own research. When you can give me a definitive answer about my question regards the shattered pyroxene we can continue the debate...
Don't go there mate.
There is nothing in your meteorites that look like meteorites.
Wear patterns and friction patterns do not match up.
Some of them has even been pebbles in water for prolonged time.

If this takes off again I'm inclined to give you a brake again.
I might be wrong of course, but you have not heeded the advice given and had them tested, which speak volumes in my eyes.

You want to believe your rocks are meteorites, fine. Believe what you will.

As to education and experience, I learned to cut, polish, and etch suspected meteorites several decades ago. Charged between $20 and $100 for the service, depending on size of the rock brought to me. Was able to identify a dozen or so out of thousands of rocks checked with this method. Of course, this method only works on meteorites containing iron. Also took several geology classes over the decades.

I do have a tote or two packed away containing, among other things, small meteorites, most of which I personally found, identified, and had verified.

Mostly, I am a rockhound that is now retired. As such I have involved myself with prospecting, metals recovery, and refining, meteorite hunting, and exploring abandoned mines, camps, and towns.

Should I regain some semblance of health after a few upcoming surgeries, then the large format cameras with the black and white film come out, and the new home of Central Texas will be explored with gusto.

Have fun. Enjoy.

Oh, the phrase “Time For More Coffee” has little to do with coffee. Mostly it indicates I am tired of the conversation, at least for now.

Time for more coffee.

Don't go there mate.
There is nothing in your meteorites that look like meteorites.
Wear patterns and friction patterns do not match up.
Some of them has even been pebbles in water for prolonged time.

If this takes off again I'm inclined to give you a brake again.
I might be wrong of course, but you have not heeded the advice given and had them tested, which speak volumes in my eyes.
Hello ... I'm going to just make a statement here, then leave this conversation alone. With regards to your comment about giving me a "brake" ( I believe you meant the word "Break") I think the actual event that happened that caused my absence wasn't being given a break, by anybody, but instead me spending time mourning the death of my wife.

Thank you for that. You're all heart...

What's really interesting here is that comment you made about me not testing my specimens, and that's where you're wrong...

I have 8 specimens that I've sent to a laboratory (NEMS, to be precise) and spent the money on for testing. Some of the specimens sent are featured in some of the images I've posted within this thread. I would not have spent the money if I didn't feel as strongly about them as I do... I will know more about my choices soon, but here's where I will digress about that and focus on Mr. Coffee Drinker... Who I don't know from Sam Hill, and who wishes to address this post with a smart mouthed attitude and what's more treat me as if I didn't have a lick of intelligence to fathom the understanding of wtf I'm doing.

Perhaps I wouldn't have gotten as terse with this individual as I did, if in fact his mouth and his insults didn't persist. What's more, since this conversation has bored him perhaps he should have stuck to his coffee and kept his nose out of this conversation. He's not the only one in this life experiencing medical issues either, as right now as we speak I have a PICC line in my arm and am trying to save my foot from being amputated from osteo melitis... Which would kill me if it did...

That's all I'm going to say

So yggdrasil. Have a nice day. If you choose to axe me after my having paid for a lifetime subscription to this forum well.... Interestingly, there are attorneys. I hope it doesn't have to come to that.

You want to believe your rocks are meteorites, fine. Believe what you will.

As to education and experience, I learned to cut, polish, and etch suspected meteorites several decades ago. Charged between $20 and $100 for the service, depending on size of the rock brought to me. Was able to identify a dozen or so out of thousands of rocks checked with this method. Of course, this method only works on meteorites containing iron. Also took several geology classes over the decades.

I do have a tote or two packed away containing, among other things, small meteorites, most of which I personally found, identified, and had verified.

Mostly, I am a rockhound that is now retired. As such I have involved myself with prospecting, metals recovery, and refining, meteorite hunting, and exploring abandoned mines, camps, and towns.

Should I regain some semblance of health after a few upcoming surgeries, then the large format cameras with the black and white film come out, and the new home of Central Texas will be explored with gusto.

Have fun. Enjoy.

Oh, the phrase “Time For More Coffee” has little to do with coffee. Mostly it indicates I am tired of the conversation, at least for now.

Time for more coffee.
Hello Galenrog...

I only believe in what I have in hand, what peer reviewed documentation states about current theory, and a comparison that can be made between species. I will make a case for one of the 8 specimens I have NEMS testing currently... fyi.

Here are a few images from that specimen. I invite you to review the Campo del Cielo meteorite, which some specimens can be reviewed with the link provided below...
FB_IMG_1666430135739.jpgMeteoritic Pattern 2.jpgMeteoritic Pattern.jpgFB_IMG_1670495903564.jpgIMG20221106015704.jpg

https://www.kdmeteorites.com/CampodelCieloMeteoriteSlicesForSale.html

Hello ... I'm going to just make a statement here, then leave this conversation alone. With regards to your comment about giving me a "brake" ( I believe you meant the word "Break") I think the actual event that happened that caused my absence wasn't being given a break, by anybody, but instead me spending time mourning the death of my wife.

Thank you for that. You're all heart...

What's really interesting here is that comment you made about me not testing my specimens, and that's where you're wrong...

I have 8 specimens that I've sent to a laboratory (NEMS, to be precise) and spent the money on for testing. Some of the specimens sent are featured in some of the images I've posted within this thread. I would not have spent the money if I didn't feel as strongly about them as I do... I will know more about my choices soon, but here's where I will digress about that and focus on Mr. Coffee Drinker... Who I don't know from Sam Hill, and who wishes to address this post with a smart mouthed attitude and what's more treat me as if I didn't have a lick of intelligence to fathom the understanding of wtf I'm doing.

Perhaps I wouldn't have gotten as terse with this individual as I did, if in fact his mouth and his insults didn't persist. What's more, since this conversation has bored him perhaps he should have stuck to his coffee and kept his nose out of this conversation. He's not the only one in this life experiencing medical issues either, as right now as we speak I have a PICC line in my arm and am trying to save my foot from being amputated from osteo melitis... Which would kill me if it did...

That's all I'm going to say

So yggdrasil. Have a nice day. If you choose to axe me after my having paid for a lifetime subscription to this forum well.... Interestingly, there are attorneys. I hope it doesn't have to come to that.
I'm sorry for your loss and can quite clearly relate to you grief.
But no one in this forum has this kind of information unless given to us.

When that is said, no kind of membership allows foul language or false claims.
I do not take name calling and badmouthing other members well so stop that, and I can assure you, his name is not Sam.
If I'm not mistaken, I did ban you temporarily some time back on the same topic.
It is good to hear that you finally is going to have you specimens tested, then we can have that issue settled.
That is what we have been asking of you all the time.
Good luck

I'm sorry for your loss and can quite clearly relate to you grief.
But no one in this forum has this kind of information unless given to us.

When that is said, no kind of membership allows foul language or false claims.
I do not take name calling and badmouthing other members well so stop that, and I can assure you, his name is not Sam.
If I'm not mistaken, I did ban you temporarily some time back on the same topic.
It is good to hear that you finally is going to have you specimens tested, then we can have that issue settled.
That is what we have been asking of you all the time.
Good luck
I've never been banned Yggdrasil (at least, not to my knowledge lol), and Ive never discussed meteorites until now.

Let's hope I bat at least a .500 with my choices. It would be like graduating school all over again lol... I'll let the results speak for themselves once NEMS sends me the paperwork (and ask me for the Nomenclature I wish to use to identify them with 😂🤣)

Well ok. One thing at a time...

Last edited:
I've never been banned Yggdrasil (at least, not to my knowledge lol), and Ive never discussed meteorites until now.

Let's hope I bat at least a .500 with my choices. It would be like graduating school all over again lol... I'll let the results speak for themselves once NEMS sends me the paperwork (and ask me for the Nomenclature I wish to use to identify them with 😂🤣)

Well ok. One thing at a time...
I have reread the thread, and have to apologize, I mixed you up with someone else, that posted heaps of unconfirmed "rocks".
He kind of refused any testing anyway, so in the end he was given an involuntary vacation.

So again.
I'm sorry for coming this hard out without checking my facts.

The statements on keeping a civil language and a proper discussion still stand for all.

This forum has seen its share of grainy photos, outlandish claims, non scientific analysis, and everything in between, asking for expert opinions based on theories, feelings, and opinions. Most, if not all moderators, take offense to this, as do I (I hope I may speak for you). While we are patient, to a point, when some body makes one of these claims, without the proper testing available, what would you do? We are sympathetic to your problems, but in this science based community, we have a tendency to still reply," stick to the facts, please ".
I have some rocks, which exhibit some of the same characteristics, that some of yours share. Perhaps a contribution of how to do a Witmanstad test, from you, would be more in line with the thread. Or PGMs, and concentration quantities vs the specimen value. Something along these lines, would be much more interesting, than a Facebook argument.

Mining, prospecting A hope and a wish in one hand and shett ( I need to check my speller) in the other hand, I just have to keep track or just decide which hand the rock is in, better yet I can test it or get it tested if I am unsure.

Without proper verification, or working knowledge, that is just what I have either a wish and a dream in my hand or just well you know what i would have in my hand.

I'm thinking this one will prove itself worth the effort. The rock above is a slice taken from the 60 lb. Specimen that everyone is saying isnt a meteorite lol...

I guess some folks need to learn about the Campo del Cielo meteorite, the crystalline pattern is the samecampo del cielo meteorite 2.jpgcampo del cielo meteorite 3.jpg

This forum has seen its share of grainy photos, outlandish claims, non scientific analysis, and everything in between, asking for expert opinions based on theories, feelings, and opinions. Most, if not all moderators, take offense to this, as do I (I hope I may speak for you). While we are patient, to a point, when some body makes one of these claims, without the proper testing available, what would you do? We are sympathetic to your problems, but in this science based community, we have a tendency to still reply," stick to the facts, please ".
I have some rocks, which exhibit some of the same characteristics, that some of yours share. Perhaps a contribution of how to do a Witmanstad test, from you, would be more in line with the thread. Or PGMs, and concentration quantities vs the specimen value. Something along these lines, would be much more interesting, than a Facebook argument.
Goldshark, I couldn't agree with your statement more, as indeed there are many indignant individuals in the world who are looking for a piece of the action (so to speak) but who are unwilling to educate themselves by performing google searches utilizing multiple key word combinations within multiple search efforts to discover free peer-reviewed documents and other relevant information that will help them identify answers to their current needs, and who wish to have someone who did do all the footwork needed answer their complex questions so that they can save themselves some of those valuable time assets and get ahead... However, I'm not one of those warts that sit here and make attempts at steering popular (worthless) opinion to agree with them...

I'm on my second attempt at testing these specimens right now, due to the fact that I spent $240 for testing that NEMS unfortunately proved incapable of. I'm currently working with a university lab manager in my effort with this who has access to AA testing, micropictograph manufacturing, and Spectrometry. They know exactly what I need, and have agreed to allocate the assets the university possesses to get the data I need and sent over to Dr. Randy Korotev at the Washington University of St. Louis (a recognized meteoritics institute that works closely with NASA as well as with the Meteoritical Society) who in turn will review the data and make a determination as to whether my specimens (no matter how promising they look) are real or not... And authenticate them accordingly.

In retrospect, this post originally wasn't about my specimens, or what I'm doing. It was about making a suggestion that GRF host a section dedicated to meteorites, as meteorites can possess precious metals and gemstones, and even then (without said precious items) can sell for a pretty penny...

That being said there's another meteoritic topic that I'd like to bring up that would possibly provide any metallurgists within these forums another avenue those individuals can use to make money... As many universities have now shut down their testing facilities to the public and there are a lot of folks with meteorite possibilities looking for testing these days

Last edited:
New England Meterorical Services
;)
Thanks - just looked at their web site & I see they specialize in testing meteorites & have been doing so for 30 years - 30 years of specialized testing experience sound like a VERY reliable/trusted service to me
I'm on my second attempt at testing these specimens right now, due to the fact that I spent $240 for testing that NEMS unfortunately proved incapable of
Per the bold print - so lets see if I have this right DarkspARCS --- you sent some samples of what you believe to be meteorites to a company that specializes in testing meteorites & has 30 years of experience doing so & yet you post here that NEMS is incapable of doing such testing

Sounds to me like you just don't like the result you got back from them - which of course would be that - "NO the samples you sent us are NOT meteorites

For those that may be interested here is a link to NEMS

http://meteorlab.com/
Sounds/looks to me like if they test a rock/sample & their test comes back saying - "no it's not a meteorite" then it's NOT a meteorite !!!

Kurt

Thanks - just looked at their web site & I see they specialize in testing meteorites & have been doing so for 30 years - 30 years of specialized testing experience sound like a VERY reliable/trusted service to me

Per the bold print - so lets see if I have this right DarkspARCS --- you sent some samples of what you believe to be meteorites to a company that specializes in testing meteorites & has 30 years of experience doing so & yet you post here that NEMS is incapable of doing such testing

Sounds to me like you just don't like the result you got back from them - which of course would be that - "NO the samples you sent us are NOT meteorites

Sounds/looks to me like if they test a rock/sample & their test comes back saying - "no it's not a meteorite" then it's NOT a meteorite !!!

Kurt
Kurt, did you not read that they did no chemical analysis? Do you not read within the letter they sent back to me that the only "testing" they did was microscopy, and magnetic susceptibility? How, in the long winded world of wonder, can anyone determine what a rock is via looking at it with their eyes alone? There wasn't even any spectrometry done, something that's marginal at best...

Anyone can say theyve done something for x amount of years, it doesn't mean it's done professionally... Or that, every time.

I've only used them once and in my book, and anyone else who is rational's book, dropped the ball.

And you want me to give up after having the ball dropped in my POSSIBLE MARTIAN METEORITES...? WITH NO CHEMICAL ANALYSIS?!

And I should recommend them after that as well? I don't believe that I can amigo.

I'm having a problem understanding why you would even go there like this ...

Kurt
Another thing... And maybe it was my fault for not sending them a big enough specimen to be able to see this plain and simple fact, due to the fact that I thought they were going to do chemical analysis... This specimen has a clearly present internal crystalline structure that makes this specimen a ripe meteorite candidate... I've included 2 images of the specimen, then a slice from the Campo del Cielo, and Canyon Diablo meteorites for comparison...FB_IMG_1670495903564.jpgMeteoritic Pattern.jpgcampo del cielo meteorite 3.jpgcampo del cielo meteorite 2.jpg

Kurt, did you not read that they did no chemical analysis? Do you not read within the letter they sent back to me that the only "testing" they did was microscopy, and magnetic susceptibility? How, in the long winded world of wonder, can anyone determine what a rock is via looking at it with their eyes alone? There wasn't even any spectrometry done, something that's marginal at best...

Anyone can say theyve done something for x amount of years, it doesn't mean it's done professionally... Or that, every time.

I've only used them once and in my book, and anyone else who is rational's book, dropped the ball.

And you want me to give up after having the ball dropped in my POSSIBLE MARTIAN METEORITES...? WITH NO CHEMICAL ANALYSIS?!

And I should recommend them after that as well? I don't believe that I can amigo.

I'm having a problem understanding why you would even go there like this ...
We can't read letters you have not posted so we can not comment on the letter.

Back