microwave ovens

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use search function. Lots of threads about owens and some pictures too. Only some from older and more expensive types may have some gold plating on programming panel or silver in contacts. Much more value represent steel and copper.

Primary value is in copper, there is a huge-heavy transformer inside. There are several switches and a couple of overloads that contain silver electrical contacts. You will have to unscrew the switches and disassemble (smash) them to get at the contacts.

When salvaging microwaves, I usually flatten out the outer steel casing, clip out all wire, grab the Xformer, and all the little switches. I then use the cooking area to hold small steel scraps. when I get a thousand lbs or more of steel I sell it at the local scrap yard: currently $190 ton for low grade (appliance) steel.

If you find a good working microwave I would do the following: Donate it to a local charity, Salvation Army, whatever. You can get a tax credit for it.

Secondly, an outdoor microwave is great for melting metal and a whole host of other fun but insane experiments. Ever microwave a hole egg? A computer CD?

Latest posts

Back