My Gold recovery journey cpu/ram

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auful said:
etack said:
OK :roll:

Grandma always "says people will do what they do."

If I had £500 in pocket I would buy silver scrap from electronics and gold filled. That's what I would do. Don't discount silver it is the under appreciated metal (as your signature states). I make more money off silver at the moment than gold. it's cheaper and easier to refine.

Have fun

Eric

Eric,
What, out of curiosity, would be your preferred "silver scrap from electronics" items?

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry it was a typo it should be electricians.

Eric

etack said:
Auful said:
etack said:
OK :roll:

If I had £500 in pocket I would buy silver scrap from electronics and gold filled.

Eric

Eric,
What, out of curiosity, would be your preferred "silver scrap from electronics" items?

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry it was a typo it should be electricians.

Eric

DRATS, it got my hopes up there might be a good, common source of silver. Thanks!

Matt

You won't want to seal your lid. somehow I get the feeling your gonna do this indoors. HCL fumes will rust any steel nearby quick. Your reaction needs oxygen to work hence the suggestion of a aquarium pump.

hi there i will boil some hlc( outdoors ) and put in the buckets with a lid on just to take the solder off, when i come to ap it, im aiming to get it off quick and will cover with a towel outside my porch if it comes to leaving out over night, believe my my home is in top spec with white carpets, white walls and very expensive furniture( in my opinion ) the LAST thing i want to do is ruin my home, i am very anal about my property, and it is rented so i have the upmost respect for other ppls stuff, iv even had to purchase a hot plate of ebay to cook any ,material outside, but thank you for your concern, i know saftey is a very big aspect on this site and the whole subject, but as a young father of one, saftey is up there on ( daddy's gotta know list ) :)

damezbullion said:
hi there i will boil some hlc( outdoors ) and put in the buckets with a lid on just to take the solder off, when i come to ap it, im aiming to get it off quick and will cover with a towel outside my porch if it comes to leaving out over night, believe my my home is in top spec with white carpets, white walls and very expensive furniture( in my opinion ) the LAST thing i want to do is ruin my home, i am very anal about my property, and it is rented so i have the upmost respect for other ppls stuff, iv even had to purchase a hot plate of ebay to cook any ,material outside, but thank you for your concern, i know saftey is a very big aspect on this site and the whole subject, but as a young father of one, saftey is up there on ( daddy's gotta know list ) :)

Glad to hear it :p
Good luck!

Damian if you want to heat small quantities of solution outside a secondhand or cheap slow cooker is a good investment, you can also get bucket heater jackets for larger quantitiies, make sure wherever your processing with acids that it's out of the way of children, pets and anyone who might stumble across it, even cold acids can wreck many metals and do a lot worse to people and wildlife.
I know your not stupid but stressing safety is essential so any newbie or would be refiner understands the risks and takes appropriate steps to avoid disasters.

nickvc said:
Damian if you want to heat small quantities of solution outside a secondhand or cheap slow cooker is a good investment, you can also get bucket heater jackets for larger quantities, make sure wherever your processing with acids that it's out of the way of children, pets and anyone who might stumble across it, even cold acids can wreck many metals and do a lot worse to people and wildlife.
I know your not stupid but stressing safety is essential so any newbie or would be refiner understands the risks and takes appropriate steps to avoid disasters.
thanks, thats a good idea the bucket jacket iv never seen these but a brilliant ideo none the less, i also bought a hot plate from ebay it should be with me today,a one plate ( stainles steel) 1000w plate for 9.99 Bargain:) believe me i a lil worried myself, iv been told respiratory mask wont even filter some of these gasses which is unnerving, plus the main wildlife we have here in the uk are pigeons, and they are now class as a rodent, meaning depopulation is always welcome lmao no that i instend to gas out any pigeon or pollute any of the habitats around me. i think its practice to keep fumes to a minimum any way even if you have all the fumes hood and ect, those fumes gotta go somewhere right

Gutted! hlc still didnt turn up today so no practicals, got a few more bits tho, im not sure the stannous is any good, i think it might have loads of undissolved powder in there with a tiny bit of water, do i just add water as i need it and it will gradually dissolve?
DSCF1106.JPG
DSCF1107.JPG

You can make up a small bottle of standard gold chloride solution to test the stannous chloride with, memory foils using the copper II chloride leach to remove copper, and after washing you can use HCl and bleach to get the gold into solution, the chlorine gas is easy to remove, this small bottle of gold chloride solution would work will tell you if the stannous chloride is still good, the stannous chloride has a shelf life, usually a little bit of free tin metal and a few drops of excess acid can help to keep it good a little longer, try the hard-ware store look for 95% tin solder, you can make your own stannous chloride with the tin solder and HCl, this way you can make it as needed, and with your gold standard solution you will be able to test the stannous chloride to see when it expires.

I would also drill a couple of holes at the edge of one side of the bottom of your bucket, this way you can tilt bucket to that side and drain out the last little bit of liquid a little easier.

butcher said:
You can make up a small bottle of standard gold chloride solution to test the stannous chloride with, memory foils using the copper II chloride leach to remove copper, and after washing you can use HCl and bleach to get the gold into solution, the chlorine gas is easy to remove, this small bottle of gold chloride solution would work will tell you if the stannous chloride is still good, the stannous chloride has a shelf life, usually a little bit of free tin metal and a few drops of excess acid can help to keep it good a little longer, try the hard-ware store look for 95% tin solder, you can make your own stannous chloride with the tin solder and HCl, this way you can make it as needed, and with your gold standard solution you will be able to test the stannous chloride to see when it expires.

I would also drill a couple of holes at the edge of one side of the bottom of your bucket, this way you can tilt bucket to that side and drain out the last little bit of liquid a little easier.

the holes on the side of the bucket is a brilliant idea, i did think of it but no one seemed to have done this, buts seeing somone did mention it i will do it now.
also i found out the stannous i bought, contains a piece of tin inside( thats whats rattling ) i meassaged the seller on ebay, to find out he is actually one of your popular members on this forum, he advised me the tin would keep it fresh and to top up with hlc if runs out, to dissolve the tin.
i will do what you said when iv used this lot up, seems simpler and more efficent to hold a bit of tin than a load more chemicals.
how do you test you stannous can i ask?

Damian the reason we suggest you keep standards of known solutions is that it tells you when your stannous has stopped working as well as what your test solution may contain.

nickvc said:
Damian the reason we suggest you keep standards of known solutions is that it tells you when your stannous has stopped working as well as what your test solution may contain.
So would i be right in saying keep i tiny bit of gold solution in a bottle ans use that as mt tester for the stannous, when i stop getting a reaction the the stannous is duff, is this about right?

Right on spot!

I make my stannous of tin with some antimony in it (old pewter bowl, 98% Sn 2% Sb) and it usually turns pale green just before it stops working. When really old it turns cloudy grey and sticks to glass really hard. I suspect it is oxidized into tin oxide, our old friend also known as metastannic acid.
One dollar for an old banged up pewter bowl in a thrift store sat me up with a five year supply of gold test solution. 8)

I've also made some stannous solution by dissolving the tin from a small circuit board (60% Sn, 40% Pb) and it worked but not as good as my ordinary test solution.

My test solution is three finger foils dissolved in 5 ml of fluid. You can barely see that it is yellow but it gives a clear purple colour when testing my stannous. It is better to have a weak testing solution than a strong, then you can easier see when the stannous starts to degrade.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Right on spot!

I make my stannous of tin with some antimony in it (old pewter bowl, 98% Sn 2% Sb) and it usually turns pale green just before it stops working. When really old it turns cloudy grey and sticks to glass really hard. I suspect it is oxidized into tin oxide, our old friend also known as metastannic acid.
One dollar for an old banged up pewter bowl in a thrift store sat me up with a five year supply of gold test solution. 8)

I've also made some stannous solution by dissolving the tin from a small circuit board (60% Sn, 40% Pb) and it worked but not as good as my ordinary test solution.

My test solution is three finger foils dissolved in 5 ml of fluid. You can barely see that it is yellow but it gives a clear purple colour when testing my stannous. It is better to have a weak testing solution than a strong, then you can easier see when the stannous starts to degrade.

Göran
i like the the circuit board idea, i suppose not so practical as the others but to turn your byproduct into something you use is very resourceful , iv never heard of Pewter / Antimony, so i researcher it, very interesting, so how do you get the sb in the solution? or do you make it in the bowl? or cut it into peices? does the actual bowl its self contain 98% Sn 2% Sb? sorry bout all that sounded like 20 questions :s

damezbullion said:
i like the the circuit board idea, i suppose not so practical as the others but to turn your byproduct into something you use is very resourceful , iv never heard of Pewter / Antimony, so i researcher it, very interesting, so how do you get the sb in the solution? or do you make it in the bowl? or cut it into peices? does the actual bowl its self contain 98% Sn 2% Sb? sorry bout all that sounded like 20 questions :s
The circuit board as source of stannous was only to test the principle (I already had a board in acid for some tests) and tin is so cheap that you should not cheap out on that. Use proper chemicals as most of them are so much cheaper than losing a couple of grams of gold in the end.
The antimony is just a part of the pewter and I see it as a contaminant. At first it only drops to the bottom as a black powder and it clogs my pipette if I take fluid too deep from the beaker.
I prepare my stannous with a small beaker (10 ml), add 1-2 cm of HCl and with scissors I cut a bit from the bowl. If it totally dissolves I cut another piece until I have some tin left when the reaction stops. To keep it fresh for longer I take some saran wrap and cover the beaker and with the pipette I poke a small hole I use when taking stannous from the beaker.
Maybe it isn't exactly as described in Hoke but it is close enough and it works for me.

Göran

thats so simple, and effective, im going to have to try it, it must be what he has done with my stannous as it has some metal in there, should be anough for about 100 tests tho so shouldnt have to worrie to soon, one thing i am worried about is the weather its snowing where i am, all my delivery's are late, im not very impressed got me loosing my motivation sat here looking at all the stuff and no (hlc) lol , i found hokes hard to read and i need to read it again, im terrible with reading, i can read lots just dont take it in, iv got to read it a few times or even read it aloud, i got in on my daughters tablet et the min so i can read it in bed lol 26 going on 40 me lol

Latest posts

Back