My stannous may be bad

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjcary

I used some old stannous to test my solution after dropping gold and got a light brownish reaction which may have been a false positive. Either way i decided to add some ammonium chloride to see if there was any platinum in solution before i wasted it and initially had no reaction. Came to the “lab” the next day and found this precipitated. Not quite sure what it is.
My solution and process order was as follows aqua regia/ sulfamic acid/ smb/ filter/ ammonium chloride. The precipitant is very dark brown possibly redish. Sorry pictures are trash.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3351.jpeg
    IMG_3351.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3350.jpeg
    IMG_3350.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I used some old stannous to test my solution after dropping gold and got a light brownish reaction which may have been a false positive. Either way i decided to add some ammonium chloride to see if there was any platinum in solution before i wasted it and initially had no reaction. Came to the “lab” the next day and found this precipitated. Not quite sure what it is.
My solution and process order was as follows aqua regia/ sulfamic acid/ smb/ filter/ ammonium chloride. The precipitant is very dark brown possibly redish. Sorry pictures are trash.
What was the original material?
And why not use Copper to cement it out?

What was the original material?
And why not use Copper to cement it out?
Original material was mostly ground up flat packs and cpus. From a couple hundred memory cards. With fingers pre removed and processed seperately from this. I seperated most of it quite well but some mlccs may have found there way into the burn and grind. I was going to just copper cement anything that may be left in there. Was just curious as to what the ammonium chloride could have dropped and what took so long. But yeah copper cement is a good idea thanks

Original material was mostly ground up flat packs and cpus. From a couple hundred memory cards. With fingers pre removed and processed seperately from this. I seperated most of it quite well but some mlccs may have found there way into the burn and grind. I was going to just copper cement anything that may be left in there. Was just curious as to what the ammonium chloride could have dropped and what took so long. But yeah copper cement is a good idea thanks
There is no reason to expect PGMs from that.
Anyway if you cemented on Copper it would have dropped all of value.

The precipitant looks crystaline to me, not like a metal that has been reduced. I would guess it's a combination of the sulfamic, SMB, and other materials from your solution that crystalized out as your solution cooled overnight. You can warm it a bit to see if it dissolves, or add a bit of water.

Dave

Latest posts

Back