Need help stumbled onto this...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some close up pictures of the brown/red powder. The first picture has the truest color. There is a penny and a terra cotta pot for color comparison. I do not see any green.

Attachments

• power with penny and terra cotta II.jpg
    power with penny and terra cotta II.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • power with penny and terra cotta.jpg
    power with penny and terra cotta.jpg
    1.3 MB
On that last pic with the two plastic tubs of brown powder like you should in the last reply? Are actually gold sponge from AR you got yourself a massive payday. Massive!

You could take a pinch of that and buy yourself a mapp gas torch at Home Depot and find a quick and suitable clay and melt that little pinch and see if it balls up into gold. However since you don't know what it is that might be a bad idea, some HCl/Cl might be better. See if it dissolves. Also can get all that at Home Depot for less money then a torch.

Was there any containers of acids in the lots? If so look for a bottle that says Nitric acid or HNO3. If you have a bottle of nitric acid Carefully outside with gloves on open the bottle and either carefully pour a very small amount of the acid into a glass container after that take a pinch of that brown powder and add it to the glass container with the acid. If no reaction occurs you are a very very very lucky person as that brown powder is most likely Gold.

If the powder fizzles and dissolves then it is most likely powdered copper from Iron being used to drop silver from a solution of Silver Nitrate.

Alternatively you could get a very small baggy and put 1/4 of a teaspoon of the brown powder in it and mail it in a regular letter to someone on the board here to test for you if that would make you feel more comfortable.

A simple way to test the unknown powder is to put a tiny bit on a sheet of white paper. Then use something like the back of a spoon and slide it over the powder, pushing down like you're trying to press the powder into the paper. If it's gold, it will show its true color. If it doesn't look gold when this is done, it probably isn't.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
A simple way to test the unknown powder is to put a tiny bit on a sheet of white paper. Then use something like the back of a spoon and slide it over the powder, pushing down like you're trying to press the powder into the paper. If it's gold, it will show its true color. If it doesn't look gold when this is done, it probably isn't.

Dave

Thanks for the test. I tried and it still looks clay color, but I did find gold flecks and was able to pick out a few, but they are small. Guess I'm going to have to find another way to pay for the starter on my ol' car. I was hoping for a highlander :lol: . This has sure been fun hoping and dreaming. Always worth it if I learn something new, and that I have.

Do you have pictures of your test? I still think that looks very much like gold sponge. I don't see why someone would store such a small quantity of iron or copper precipitate.

Is it possible as at least one person has mentioned that it's a substance part way through being processed?

The "twice leached in H2SO4 and roasted" comment doesn't imply that any gold has yet been removed. It's described as a concentrate and the rub test did show some particles that could be gold so maybe it's ready to be taken a step further to recover whatever else is in there.

I guess the difficulty is in knowing what exactly the source was.

What does the blue top of the container say?
Is there any other hand written markings on either?

Who is close to her that will toll refine and pay?....
The question of the day?

B.S.
And how about the other stuff?...

Pantherlikher said:

The question of the day?

B.S.

- the top reads #1 & 2

-Img 20140325-100100-168 the note reads Cm -6-1138. Cm on the periodic table is Curium and that is a scary read.

-It seems the gold connectors are military as one part that still has pins in it has an Army stamp

-The silver clips seen in the silver box read 9053251 and when I looked up the part number it belonged to the US army aviation and missile

Could it be Cn possibly for Contacts? as in electrical contacts? could you take a closer picture of what those silvery items are in that Cn or m container?

is there any way (mathematically) for twistie figure out the weight of those 2 plastic jars to see if it's gold ??

i looked this up, no idea if it's correct or not (seems kind of heavy) for 1 cubic inch.

1 cubic inch of solid gold = 0.70 pounds or 317.515 grams

1 cubic inch of solid copper = 0.31 pounds or 140.614 grams

what would slightly compressed gold powder weigh ? (pressed by hand into a square container) 4 inches X 4 inches X 4 inches

Twistie said:
Pantherlikher said:

The question of the day?

B.S.

-Img 20140325-100100-168 the note reads Cm -6-1138. Cm on the periodic table is Curium and that is a scary read.

Wiki says "Most curium is produced by bombarding uranium or plutonium with neutrons in nuclear reactors – one tonne of spent nuclear fuel contains about 20 grams of curium." I think you are safe that this man didn't have this much of this stuff. But I could be wrong.

Ok... everyone is dying to know if you struck it rich with those two containers full of the brown "stuff". Myself included! If you are willing to send me a 5 gram sample I will test it for FREE and send you back 100% of the gold if it is indeed gold. Pm me for my address if interested.

i really don't think its Cerium, it's produced in small quanities for nuclear research and it's radioactive, i just don't think it's possible for anyone to have that much of it sitting around in a locker, no one would want it, no use for it unless you work at los alamos lab and even then you wouldn't take it out of the building.

get some HCl muratic acid from home depot and some clorox bleach, place a very small amount of that powder in it and see if it dissolves or if some of it dissolves you might have some gold. do it outside in a glass pyrex and wear some gloves.

joubjonn said:
or better yet send it to Goldenchild and he will take care of it for you

I think that is what I will do. Thanks to everyone for the kind help. Another person offered but is in Canada so this route may be easier. Beside with all the research on my computer on acids and now Cm, I don't need the NSA getting spooked.

The NSA is not a worry, you local fire dept or haz mat inspector that knows almost nothing about this hobby, those are who you need to watch out for.

I've got to say this has been a darned good thread.

Keep us posted when you test off that powder.

spaceships said:
I've got to say this has been a darned good thread.

Keep us posted when you test off that powder.

darned good !!

:!: :!: :!: i'd still like to see twistie get a big chunk of gold out of that :!: :!: :!:

Latest posts

Back