Need Idea catching nitrogen peroxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0lvez

I need more better idea catching nitrogen peroxide in this process
I NO won't react to oxygen to form nitrogen peroxide when hot but if heat farther the bottle I think nothing is happening. N2O4 won't form if there is water in the bottle. Is a 1 litter bottle full of NO2 enough for the 25ml of water to have a good concentration of nitric acid? How much hydrogen peroxide do I need to oxidize the nitrite?

For homemade nitric to generate enough for use that Idea looks useless to me.
way too hard to get just a little bit of NO2 fumes, although it can be done with a much larger industrial setup, that small scale lab setup about all you are going to do is prove you can create some NO2 gas and possibly minute amounts of nitric acid, the setup needed would be much larger in scale, and much more complicated than that lab experiment.

Wolvez, If you are serious about learning to make nitric acid with good working process do some reading on the forum, you would be amazed at the work that has gone into making this acid, and most all of the best methods have been documented here, also much of what will not work or would be too uneconomical for us as hobbyist.

Why keep trying to bite more than you can chew? There is plenty of great information at your disposal and a lot less work, waiting for you to read and learn about. Then you could spend your time refining and not running in circles.

I preferred using ammonium hydroxide. Nitrate salt are sold per sack here. Buying retail on ebay cost too much in shipping.

Will it be easy if Platinum/Rhodium is used? How about using platinum spark plug arch is it possible?

I feel the process for home brew would be too difficult, and dangerous, for small amount of produced acids, the nitrate salt, and sulfuric acid works very well and distilling will give a nice nitric acid at reasonable cost and fair return for the labor.

Latest posts

Back