Need some info about borax for flux

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searcher1x

I seem to have a little problem when I go to melt the gold. I need some advice about how much Borax to use. Every time I have tryed to melt down the gold I end up with everything encased in a Borax glass case. Obviously I'm either using too much Borax or I have missed something somewherer along the way. How much is enough and how much is too much? Should there be any flux left when you finish melting the gold? I've read both of the books that this site recommends abiut refining and identifing metals but nowhere in any of the info I've read does it address the usage of flux in any detail what-so-ever, jsut add Borax and melt, then add flakes and more Borax on top and start heating. Problem is I am screwing it up somehow! Any feedback is welcome!

Just to clarify - the point Palladium is making with his video is that if the gold you are melting is clean & pure - you do not need to use any flux - the borax used to glaze your melting dish is all you need - to much borax will cause your gold to hang up in the dish

If your gold is now hung up in your dish (because of to much borax) you can recover it (clean your dish out) by melting soda ash in it (also called washing soda) you can find it on the shelf by the borax in laundry detergent area of the store

The soda ash will make the flux run more fluid

Fluxing is only needed when trying to melt/recover metals from very dirty material - which is then known as smelting

Kurt

Probably Palladium is referring to the details given at 6:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2YLSZ-kj0M&feature=player_detailpage#t=418 which is basically what Kurt is saying.

Kurt, thanks for breaking it down for me! That tid-bit of information was not in the material I read. And yes, you nailed it! I'm going to have to take my "glass encased" gold and start another recovery process. Prior to joining this forum and/or reading the "book", I had read several different systems to recover and refine. Funny thing, the first process I read did NOT mention the use of AR or MA+Bleach to put the gold in solution and, consequently I did not put it in solution. Something I noticed after reading the "book" was that all of the different processes I had previously read all seemed to leave out important steps and information. Guess the authors just figured you would need to figure certain steps out by yourself.

Thanks again for the feedback and, just for kicks, I think I'll read the book again just to see what I might have missed or forgot and then start over with my "gold in glass" material.

searcher1x said:
Something I noticed after reading the "book" was that all of the different processes I had previously read all seemed to leave out important steps and information. Guess the authors just figured you would need to figure certain steps out by yourself.
You made no mention of the title of "the book", but my advice to you is if you learned the processes you have applied anywhere but on this forum, you would be best served to "ditch" the book and get started on the right foot, studying processes that are KNOWN to work, and are well described. Such processes are found in Hoke's book, plus any of the work-about methods used for extracting and purifying gold are well described on this board.

If you choose to ignore my recommendations, it's highly unlikely you're going to get much help here, because this board has been overwhelmed with those who have been misinformed, so we've learned to just tune them out when they resist following advice that would help them in their venture.

Download Hoke's book and read. Read it until it makes sense, then study the forum, addressing particular issues that are troubling for you. Pretty much anything you may wish to learn is here, and has been addressed countless times. Mean time, put your materials on hold. You won't lose any values so long as you don't discard anything, and you also won't make much headway until you have an understanding of what you should know before setting out to refine. You clearly have been mislead.

Harold

If you have used to much borax you can just pick out the button.
there should be a sweet spot just passed the point of solidification for the gold before the borax hardens.
It will be like treacle but that is how it is some time's used,in excess.
Total unnecessary for clean Au but if you already have a button that is stuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Sawj0HyF0

Harold_V said:
searcher1x said:
Something I noticed after reading the "book" was that all of the different processes I had previously read all seemed to leave out important steps and information. Guess the authors just figured you would need to figure certain steps out by yourself.
You made no mention of the title of "the book", but my advise to you is if you learned the processes you have applied anywhere but on this forum, you would be best served to "ditch" the book and get started on the right foot, studying processes that are KNOWN to work, and are well described. Such processes are found in Hoke's book, plus any of the work-about methods used for extracting and purifying gold are well described on this board.

If you choose to ignore my recommendations, it's highly unlikely you're going to get much help here, because this board has been overwhelmed with those who have been misinformed, so we've learned to just tune them out when they resist following advice that would help them in their venture.

Download Hoke's book and read. Read it until it makes sense, then study the forum, addressing particular issues that are troubling for you. Pretty much anything you may wish to learn is here, and has been addressed countless times. Mean time, put your materials on hold. You won't lose any values so long as you don't discard anything, and you also won't make much headway until you have an understanding of what you should know before setting out to refine. You clearly have been mislead.

Harold

Harold, the "book: i was referring too was Hokes book that I downloaded from the form and have read several times. If you take a look Hoke does not really give a great deal of information about Borax flux and the proper use o, at least not that I could find

justinhcase said:
If you have used to much borax you can just pick out the button.
there should be a sweet spot just passed the point of solidification for the gold before the borax hardens.
It will be like treacle but that is how it is some time's used,in excess.
Total unnecessary for clean Au but if you already have a button that is stuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Sawj0HyF0

justincase, I think I made 2 mistakes.

First, from what I read I had the impression from Hokes book that when you melted gold none of the other metals would mix with it and would burn or off. I did not realize that there was a greater degree of heat necessary for this to take place. The gold was not that clean because I thought the other metals would burn off and the gold form by itself

Second, I don't believe that my heat source was in any way near hot enough. I was using a hand held propane torch and it would just barely turn the metals to a liquid. The borax never got to an easy flow liquid state like I have seen in some videos

if you want to get rid of your borax glass bead, and leave the gold. Put your bead in a dilute solution of Sulfuric (battery) acid and gently heat. Borax glass dissolves in Sulfuric acid. What you have left is your gold. Be it one piece, or several beads that got hung up in the borax as it cooled. Remelt the gold and you back on track. It's a good way to clean up excess flux.

Hi Searcher!
Welcome to our forum. If I'm understanding it correctly, you never truly refined the gold. Fellow members have advised you about thinning the borax encased gold so you can pour off the extra flux and lift the gold button out before the remaining flux solidifies. Giving the gold button a boil in dilute sulfuric acid. that will dissolve borax that remains on your gold.
Once you separate the gold from the flux you can purify it by dissolving it in AR, dropping the gold from solution with SMB, further clean the gold powder using the "Harold's washing steps" and then melt your gold in a properly-glazed dish using your propane torch by (my tip) laying a piece of ceramic insulation on a brick, set your dish on the insulation and push it up around the dish so it insulates the sides of the dish this keeps the heat in the dish, I've melted two ounces with your torch with no problem.
You must take each of these steps, use the search bar, read the posts about it until you completely understand it, then perform that step.
Don't forget to study the safety section and learn how to handle the wastes you will be creating.
Good luck!
artart47

post your results so we can see your gold!

edit; Torscot; your post hit while I was typing mine. ( sulfuric......)

searcher1x,
Listen to Harold he is very wise and will Help to lead you to your gold.

At this point you are just wandering around in the dark clueless.

And you will just continue be stumbling around forever tripping yourself up on every process that you try, without a clue as to what problems your causing, or where all of the gold your trying to recover or refine is going, lost in some process, your stumbling through thinking you have a simple understanding of a very complex art and skill.

Put away the gold and chemicals, before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Begin your journey by educating yourself in the basic principles, and safety of what you plan on doing.

Put away the acids and chemicals, work on the education, that is the treasure map to the gold you seek.

artart47 said:
Hi Searcher!
Welcome to our forum. If I'm understanding it correctly, you never truly refined the gold. Fellow members have advised you about thinning the borax encased gold so you can pour off the extra flux and lift the gold button out before the remaining flux solidifies. Giving the gold button a boil in dilute sulfuric acid. that will dissolve borax that remains on your gold.
Once you separate the gold from the flux you can purify it by dissolving it in AR, dropping the gold from solution with SMB, further clean the gold powder using the "Harold's washing steps" and then melt your gold in a properly-glazed dish using your propane torch by (my tip) laying a piece of ceramic insulation on a brick, set your dish on the insulation and push it up around the dish so it insulates the sides of the dish this keeps the heat in the dish, I've melted two ounces with your torch with no problem.
You must take each of these steps, use the search bar, read the posts about it until you completely understand it, then perform that step.
Don't forget to study the safety section and learn how to handle the wastes you will be creating.
Good luck!
artart47

post your results so we can see your gold!

edit; Torscot; your post hit while I was typing mine. ( sulfuric......)

Thank you artart47. I appreciate you taking the time to give me those suggestions. I especially appreciate what you told me about about the propane torch. At least now I know that, if properly cleaned and refined, it is possible to generate enough heat with a propane torch to melt gold.

Glad to see that some of the members of this forum are willing to offer positive, informative feedback. No offence intended to anyone.

butcher said:
searcher1x,
Listen to Harold he is very wise and will Help to lead you to your gold.

At this point you are just wandering around in the dark clueless.

And you will just continue be stumbling around forever tripping yourself up on every process that you try, without a clue as to what problems your causing, or where all of the gold your trying to recover or refine is going, lost in some process, your stumbling through thinking you have a simple understanding of a very complex art and skill.

Put away the gold and chemicals, before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Begin your journey by educating yourself in the basic principles, and safety of what you plan on doing.

Put away the acids and chemicals, work on the education, that is the treasure map to the gold you seek.

Butcher, although I know you mean well by the comments you offer to all my posts, and perhaps you are entirely right in what you say, but (and I don't mean to offend you with this) from the way you word many of the comments you post to my threads I get the impression you are talking down to me, and to some degree that is offensive, whether you intend it that way or not.

I didn't join this forum to fight, offend or insult any member, nor did I join it to be insulted or offended by others. I joined this forum because it is the one place I found where good reliable and informative answers to many questions raised by someone who is deep in the learning process can be found. I fully understand that compared to you or harold or lazersteve or many, many of the other members I am viewed as a rank rookie and I can live with that. However we all have to start somewhere and very few of us get to start at the top.

Again, I know you mean well (at least I hope you do) with the comments you have made to many of my threads and I do appreciate the quick chemistry lesson you rendered to a different thread of mine, but I'm not as dumb as you take me for. Agreed, in no way, shape, form or fashion am I anywhere close to the level you are on and, quite frankly, I never will be nor do I want to be. I do have 15 years experience with certain chemicals, acid-basing, oxidation and a few other processes that I will not go into in this forum; this is neither the time or place for that. I understand the risk involved and some precautionary measures necessary for safe handling. Not to say I never will, but I have managed to stay alive and healthy through those years and I'm particularly proud of the fact that I have never blown me or my work area up in that time. I hope that I can continue that record.

Post after post you keep telling me how lost and foolish I am at this stage and to put down the chemicals and concentrate solely of learning. You may be right. Again, I know you have good intentions by this advise, but we all have different ways of learning. Some learn by watching, others by reading, others by trial and error, then there are those who learn by a combination of all 3 strategies. Indeed, I believe the vast majority of people learn by a combination of watching, reading and trial and error; I am no different.

I did not learn how to drive a car by just studying and reading a book. I learned by reading the necessary materials, observing others and getting behind the wheel and gaining experience. Was I the best driver on the roads first time I got behind the wheel? Of course not! Did I make mistakes when I first got behind the wheel? Sure I did. Would I ever have learned to drive if I never got behind the wheel. No, and anyone who believes anything different is just fooling thyself.

I consider myself to be an expert with computers and one of the more knowledgeable and experienced Linux users around. I never had a day of schooling for computers, no formal training what-so-ever. Matter of fact I had a few years on me when before I pounded my first keyboard. No one ever helped me, offered any advice or training. I got to the level I am at by, reading everything I could get my hands on; listening to the experiences of others; and more-so by pounding keys! Trial and error, and I made plenty of mistakes and errors along the way, but learn I did. When it comes to the ever evolving technology that surrounds the computer world I learn something new every day. Like yourself and the burning desire you have when it comes to chemistry, that desire to fully understand and absorb everything possible about chemistry and the tools of that trade, that's how I feel about computers and the tools of that trade. You definitely realized your goal and from what I have observed of you, are at or near the top of the ladder. You achieved this dream because that was something you wanted more than anything else and because you never quit in your journey to the top. I take my hat off too you!

The point I am trying to make is you don't know how to take a care apart to drive one, you don;t even know how to change the oil. There are others who can do that for you. You don't have to know how to program a computer or work on one in order to use one. You don't have to know anything about a computer other than how to turn it on and off to set down in front of a keyboard and start pounding keys and accomplish certain tasks. Fact is Microsoft does not want you to know anything about computers, they what users to sat "user dumb". That leads to increased profits on their part, but that discussion is best held in a different forum and not here.

The point I am trying to make Is you don't have to know or understand molecular structure or the relative interaction of how to substances react when combined under certain circumstances in order yo learn how to accomplish certain desired tasks that involve using chemicals to receive a desired end goal. You don't have to know how to mathematically figure the weight in mole of two or more chemicals to properly use those chemicals to achieve a desired end result. There are others who can do that for you are more than willing to make that information available to the public.

I have no need or desire to master the art of chemistry, nor is that an absolute to reach my goal. I intend to familiarize myself with the tools, materials and procedures required to perform certain recovery and refining processes. I believe I can reach this goal by, first and foremost, reading and learning from a variety of sources; by asking questions, keeping an open mind and learning from the experience of others; by application of what I read and the experiences and advice of others; and last, but not least, by trial and error, this is the only way, IMHO that anyone can truly learn something new, at least it's the only way I can learn. Will I screw up along the way? Will I make mistakes? Will I waste money, precious resources and chemicals while walking along this path? You better believe it!

But the most important question of all; will I achieve my goal of learning how to reclaim and refine certain metals? I can guarantee you 100% that I will reach that goal.

I know this has been a rather "long-winded" post and even though you have criticized me before on "long-winded" posts, I have read many of your posts and you, sir, are guilty of the same act and can get a little "long-winded" yourself at times. All that shows is that you, like myself, want to make sure what you have to say is perfectly clear and understood. For the length of my post, I apologize.

Let me close by saying that nothing I have written above was intended to insult, offend or enrage any of the members of this forum. That was not the desired effect and if someone was insulted or offended then please accept my humble apologizes. Just please understand I neither have the time or desire to become a master of chemistry, that's not my goal. I just want to learn how to recover and refining, the tools needed for this and the basic, underling principles surrounding these processes. If making these statements result in some who turn their heads and refuse to help or offer me any advice along my journey then I am truly sorry you feel that way, but with or without that help I will get to the end of the path.

torscot said:
if you want to get rid of your borax glass bead, and leave the gold. Put your bead in a dilute solution of Sulfuric (battery) acid and gently heat. Borax glass dissolves in Sulfuric acid. What you have left is your gold. Be it one piece, or several beads that got hung up in the borax as it cooled. Remelt the gold and you back on track. It's a good way to clean up excess flux.

Thanks torscot for that information, I will definitely remember it. Once Borax goes to glass it's some very tough and durable stuff!

Searcher--

I understand where you're coming from. I really do. But I also understand where the senior mentors on this board are coming from. Regardless of where I side, please consider this:

In one of your last two posts, you spent a short paragraph thanking someone for their helpful tip. In the other, you spent 12 longer paragraphs railing on the condescension you feel you have been subjected to. Which of the two do you think you will be remembered for, especially by the aforementioned senior mentors?

I suggest you swallow your pride and only respond to the posts you find helpful.

Edit: some grammar and emphasis

searcher1x,
Nobody is attacking you, they were trying to help.
You are taking this help as an attack.
I also feel your responses, look to some other members of the forum as an attitude.
I do not see it that way, I just feel your just clueless, but think you know the best way to learn this skill.

In my opinion, I believe you think you will find your answers, by knowing nothing about mechanics but will learn by taking the car apart (by any means possible), and then trying to put it all back together again, and get it running again. By asking questions, which you will not even have enough of the basic knowledge, or understanding of mechanics, to even understand those answers given to you. In the mean time sitting there with a pile of broken parts, not even knowing what they are called, or what they do, and wondering where they go.

All I was saying is at least spend some time learning at least the basic principles of mechanic's before you destroy that car, or many more cars trying to learn.

Learn the safety and the dangers involved, and the dangers of the toxic solutions you are generating, and learn how to deal with them properly before you harm yourself, or others who come into the path of your trials and errors.

Looks like I have wasted my time trying to help you understand the dangers involved in what you are trying to learn, or the best and fastest way to begin to understand the reactions of metals, and the very basic principles needed to be able to recover and refine metals.

Educating yourself will not only keep you from stumbling around in the dark, it is not only the fastest way to learn how to recover and refine metals, it is not only the best way to get that gold and learn to recover it and make it pure and get it into your melting dish, it is also the best way to keep yourself and others safe from the many different dangers involved in the skill you are attempting to learn.
Without that simple basic education, you are just a danger to yourself and others, stumbling around blindly, making toxic gases and solutions, trying to figure out where the metals are going as you stumble through trying to learn the hard way.

butcher said:
searcher1x,
Nobody is attacking you, they were trying to help.
You are taking this help as an attack.
I also feel your responses, look to some other members of the forum as an attitude.
I do not see it that way, I just feel your just clueless, but think you know the best way to learn this skill.

In my opinion, I believe you think you will find your answers, by knowing nothing about mechanics but will learn by taking the car apart (by any means possible), and then trying to put it all back together again, and get it running again. By asking questions, which you will not even have enough of the basic knowledge, or understanding of mechanics, to even understand those answers given to you. In the mean time sitting there with a pile of broken parts, not even knowing what they are called, or what they do, and wondering where they go.

All I was saying is at least spend some time learning at least the basic principles of mechanic's before you destroy that car, or many more cars trying to learn.

Learn the safety and the dangers involved, and the dangers of the toxic solutions you are generating, and learn how to deal with them properly before you harm yourself, or others who come into the path of your trials and errors.

Looks like I have wasted my time trying to help you understand the dangers involved in what you are trying to learn, or the best and fastest way to begin to understand the reactions of metals, and the very basic principles needed to be able to recover and refine metals.

Educating yourself will not only keep you from stumbling around in the dark, it is not only the fastest way to learn how to recover and refine metals, it is not only the best way to get that gold and learn to recover it and make it pure and get it into your melting dish, it is also the best way to keep yourself and others safe from the many different dangers involved in the skill you are attempting to learn.
Without that simple basic education, you are just a danger to yourself and others, stumbling around blindly, making toxic gases and solutions, trying to figure out where the metals are going as you stumble through trying to learn the hard way.

Thank you for that response butcher and I am doing just that. Sure, I have a long way to go but believe it or not I do search and read every day. I always have a copy of Hoke's book open on desktop in .pdf format and when problems or questions pop up I use the search feature to do a quick scan for some text or passage that may help. I realize that there is a ton of excellent information contained within the posts on this forum. I look for answers constantly but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use this sites search feature. Sometimes I find the answers, other times I get "information overload", too many hits, the vast majority of which do not specifically address my question. Filtering through that vast amount of data can be a daunting task sometimes, but I keep searching.

Also, thank you for realizing that I don't have an attitude. I just don't believe that when you think there may be a problem or possible misunderstanding with someone else that you should table the issue and let tensions build until things finally get out of hand. Lay your cards on the table, be nice, polite and respectful and let others know how you feel about something that's going on. They may not understand that their actions, well intended as they be, are not received in the same light.

I have a great deal of respect for you and what you have accomplished in such a short period of time. I will keep learning, searching and even have my share of failures but I will never give up until I get where I need to be. With help and support from you and those so much more knowledgeable than myself there is no chance of failure.

I hope nothing I have ever written has offended you or been taken in a bad way, if so I apologize.

Thanks for the help you have given

At the very real risk of appearing aggressive and insulting I am going to ask a few questions and make a few short statements.

How much of "Refining Precious Metal Wastes" have you read? My suggestion is to read the entire book. Read it again. Read a third time while making notes and putting questions to paper. Perform the acquaintance experiments found throughout the book while making notes, on paper, of the results of each reaction.

How many hours have you spent reading the safety section of the forum? If short of a few hundred hours you may be selling yourself short. Understanding the safety procedures is just part of the task. Understanding the reasons behind the procedures, and constant adherence to these procedures will keep you healthy and alive.

Have you been to the Library? This section of the forum was created by editing fluff from some of the most informative threads since creation of the forum. EVERY question you have asked regarding recovery and refining has been answered in the Library.

If you truly do not understand a procedure, of an unusual reaction occurs, then please ask. Someone will direct you to the answer. That the answer will please you is not guaranteed.

My advice for ALL your recovery and refining is to slow down, perform small scale experiments with each procedure repeatedly until you understand the results, both the expected results and the reasons behind any unexpected results.

Learning proper procedures in metals recovery and metals refining is not something most people learn in a week or a month or even a year. Do it slow. Do it right.

Time for coffee. Goodbye.

Latest posts

Back