New kind of solution for extracting gold from e-scrap found?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You started your post by quoting nickvc - you then (in reply to the quote from Nick) posted -------

Nick did not post "a method" he posted basic/general information

So - what method are you talking about that you have "nearly" completed ???

Per the bold print (above quote) --- please do elaborate - otherwise all you are doing is making a claim backed up by absolutely nothing

Really ? --- I find it interesting that on the very first day you join this forum & in your first post the first thing you do is tell us that we are ---- stuck in our way - we immediately shoot down ideas - refuse to push further into the unknown - & have reached a level of comfort with your own expensive and dated methods.

That seems to me to be an awful BIG assumption on your part - considering you come here telling us you have come up with ------------

But you give no explanation to these - "new ways" - that are - "indeed better in every way possible"

What makes you think we are not open to this - "new way" ????

We haven't even heard what it is yet ????

And yet you start by telling us that we are closed minded

IMO - not a good way to introduce yourself &/or to introduce us to this knew way

But that's ok - I (at least) am open to hearing about it

BUT - then you NEED to be prepared to discuss this in absolute detail --- for the way in which you have introduced yourself has placed the burden of proof fully & squarely on you

In other words -----------

Per the bold print --- this will not do !!! - you will NEED to provide absolute details AND be prepared to answer questions that we will most likely (certainly) be asking

Kurt
He has indeed opened this can of worms all by himself, and as one say, extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.
I for one, do not hold my breath.

Edit, added a comma.

So far, several dozen methods have shown promise in a laboratory environment on unpopulated boards. None, thus far, have survived scaling up.

Show the evidence of the method you are touting. To be viable, it must be better in several ways. For the home gamer, cost, safety, and waste management are but a few of the hurdles you will have to clear.

Time for more coffee.

Apparently just a troll, only one post and no details, just braggadocio and maligning everyone who doesn't automatically worship his miracle discovery. In the computer world we call this vaporware.

I'd like to be wrong, but my BS radar is right 99% of the time.

I have tried this method with 30% vinegar + peroxide, 30% vingare + oxyClean, 30% vinegar with bleach.

It will remove plated gold as flakes, but everything I've tried, even in higher temps, it doesn't dissolve the gold to solution.

But it's a good cheap solution if you have a bunch of circuit boards ( be warned all the caps and resistors come off too) so you will still need to do a true AR bath to get pure clean gold.

Dilute HCL (15% pool acid) and bleach (or pool chlorine) will do the same thing for about the same price but the vinegar is easier to work with.

Just speaking from experience.

I have tried this method with 30% vinegar + peroxide, 30% vingare + oxyClean, 30% vinegar with bleach.

It will remove plated gold as flakes, but everything I've tried, even in higher temps, it doesn't dissolve the gold to solution.

But it's a good cheap solution if you have a bunch of circuit boards ( be warned all the caps and resistors come off too) so you will still need to do a true AR bath to get pure clean gold.

Dilute HCL (15% pool acid) and bleach (or pool chlorine) will do the same thing for about the same price but the vinegar is easier to work with.

Just speaking from experience.
There is nothing to gain by Vinegar.
It creates a weak HCl in conjunction with Salt,
but way more waste and the waste will be as toxic or even more so than from plain HCl.

I have nearly completed this method and have already tested with absolutely positive results with it. It took me the better part of 2 years with very little chemistry background or experience but I am nearly at perfection with it. I have come here specifically to let you people who seem stuck in their ways on this forum know there is new ways and they are indeed better in every way possible.

The issue and reason behind new methods not being discovered is because of people like yourselves who immediately shoot down ideas and refuse to push further into the unknown because you've reached a level of comfort with your own expensive and dated methods. If you would just stop thinking so close minded and maybe just allow a little room for other possibilities this forum would benefit greatly and probably see a large increase in members who aren't afraid of being ridiculed for posting or asking questions.

This method does exist and it does in fact work amazingly. I could even further elaborate with a brief explanation as to why and how it works if you would like?

Everyone, innovation thrives when we refuse to settle for mediocrity. Persevere in perfecting your ideas, and you'll create something extraordinary.
So let innovation thrive on your experience and pull us all out of our prehistoric habits.
Please do explain. Still waiting.
Don't let a few assertive comments hold you back from lifting the whole of humanity from our current position were obviously stuck in. Or are you that far above our Neanderthal ways any attempt is considered futile?

So let innovation thrive on your experience and pull us all out of our prehistoric habits.
Please do explain. Still waiting.
Don't let a few assertive comments hold you back from lifting the whole of humanity from our current position were obviously stuck in. Or are you that far above our Neanderthal ways any attempt is considered futile?
He arrived posted once and left, has not been seen since!

It comes back to “Junk in, Junk out.”

There is promise in organic treatment of waste, but the focus must be on removal or reclamation of the organic components. Methylates unfortunately aren’t selective enough to leave the metallics behind, so we’re left looking at microbial processes (fringe science at its finest).

The best reason to stick with our Chloric/Nitric methods is how clean it can be having zero chance of becoming irreversibly contaminated with organics. Acetic waste (contaminated with flux, varnish, epoxy, etc) is an even worse mess than where we start, and cleaning it up is less efficient than just tossing the PCB in a hefty on the curb.

Granted, we are not yet 100% efficient with Chloric/Nitric. Tin, Mercury, Chromium, Lead and a few others cause issues, and full separation is a slow and involved process that most people stop well short of.

The miracle we need is an organic solvent (or a series) that fully and completely removes everything we cannot currently deal with, in a safe and easy manner, and be easily recycled.

I seen quite a few articles with citric acid leaching with additives, citric acid is biodegradable. And i'm currently reading this post Questions Using Vinegar, Sea Salt & Peroxide For Green Boards . If you do copper acetate that at same time becomes copper chloride it is a way of extraction, with a bubbler and time.
Yes and any Lead will become Lead Acetate which is extremely toxic.
Bio degradable do not mean that safe nor healthy bi-products are created.

I've read some papers of these revolutionary new methods: "Study has shown that a combination of citric acid, HCl and HNO3 dissolves gold"
So does a combination of monkey fecies, HCl and HNO3. Or meteorite dust with cyanide. Strange, but true.

What i'm saying is, those new revolutionary solutions are most of the time just a redo of known chemicals or a "Poormans version", ultimately complicating recovery and not providing any customer service for problems with the wonder formula.

Most of these these belong in the realm of "computer part melted gold bars"

Hurry up and Buy!

Oh sorry, I didn't specify, the gold is supposed to be left untouched by it. And ofcourse there are many other chances which can turn up to be positive or negative. So I weren't really claiming citric will dissolve gold.

Well, the troll did manage to fit in many of the snake oil buzz words/phrases of a con artist in his screed.

He chose the wrong forum to invade. :geek:

Latest posts

Back