new member intro with where i can use some help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinny

hello my name is davin, been in the precious metals space for a long time. im trying to start a garage business refining for my local coin shop and anyone who might find my webpage. im gonna start off with this. im trying my hardest not to be over my head ive already spent a significant amount of time and money putting this together with your help im hoping to come out on top.

i understand chemistry and metallurgy fairly well although i am no college educated scientist, i know the process of refining gold and silver well enough to sound competent but still need some practical experience what i didnt comprehend before i began was the toxicity limits of these reactions. now before i start getting technical with my questions i want to preface with my goals scale and expectations so you can understand my questions better.

my local dealer whos a good friend of mine ships off about 10 to 25 ozs of gold and maybe 1000 ozs of sterling silver at most in a month on average. i want to be able to refine this metal for him in the form of bars. now i know bars forwards and back thats not my issue. my goal is to be able to make about 2000 dollars a month refining this metal at a 4 percent rate for my self and be able to reintroduce more acids and reagents filters etc regularly. now already writing it out i think i need to chill my expectations a whole lot. for starters id like to just break even for now and learn as much as i can by practicing and experimenting with 2 to 3 ozs of gold and 200 ozs of silver at a time and reinvest any premiums i make in the at end.

heres where i need you guys. i have most of the glassware i couple liters of various acids for the reactions i have pretty much everything except a fume hood built. i know there is a million threads about them here but i have some questions specific to this start up. most obviously when scaling up from where i mentioned upgrading and stepping up the equipment will be necessary no questions asked.

first off i want to build the fume hood for now and get a better one later for the amounts of gold and silver i mentioned above is a scrubber really gonna be needed? i havent heard of them until today i dont understand them i dont know how to implement one in to my garage lab i dont know the specs nothing i just hear that for large amounts of gas you need one. and if i dont need one i want to filter somehow my original plan was to put a grow tent activated charcoal inline filter at the top of the fume hood with a 600 cfm fan attached to it then stainless ducting to an inline merv filter box with carbon sheet added or some hepa filter medium as well then ducted again through my attic to the roof at 16 feet above ground level. after everything ive ready and a lengthy chat with gpt-4 im second guessing myself. as a beginner im only going to do one reaction at a time and in 1 oz or 2 oz increments and as slowly as i possibly can go to learn and limit mistakes but i have a responsibility to my neighbors and family to make sure im not poisoning them, although i live in oilfield country and all these gases are already in our air.

before someone says it i am going to create a thread after reading whats available already and continue to research but as far as about me this is what brought me hear and the answer to that question will be why i stay here. i really appreciate this community existing and look forward to talking with everyone here.

I have build mine from thin plywood coated with epoxy, The fan feeds a venturi to keep corrosive gases away from the metal parts of the fan. I have a sliding front door that is held up by a lead counterweight on ropes and pulleys that sits in a PVC pipe to guide it up and down. Window is plastic see through and the trespa coated bottom plate is sealed tight with silicone and a sink drain I've never had to use so far.
the back is a plate with a slot above and below, I have made a sliding divider valve from wood to control the ratio of flow to the top and the bottom of the back plate. some gases are heavier than air and some are lighter. I usually have it set to 50/50.

if you keep reactions low, you really don't need a scrubber or a filter imo.
Activated charocoal has it's limits in filter capacity so you will need to somehow measure the saturation level to know when to change the filter medium.
Those filters are usually made of zinc coated steel, which will corrode fast.

Latest posts

Back