New way to recover gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has derailed a bit... okay, there seems to exist some fungus that might be able to use radiation as an energy source (I'm not totally convicted on that yet), there are some organisms that can emit light (called bioluminescence), some mushrooms concentrate some radioactive elements like cesium but it has nothing to do with the radioactivity.

If we would process radioactive waste then there might be a concentration of radioactive elements with the precious metals, but so far I haven't heard of anyone on the forum doing that.
I can't see any increased dangers of radioactivity by using mushroom derivative when recovering gold in any way.

What the synthetic cell has to do with anything I haven't manage to find out yet.

Mushrooms, just as any other organism on this planet uses the same type of DNA so if we can manipulate a plant or animal, fungus is basically the same. In early days one of the favorite organisms used was yeast cells.

Okay, time to go back on track. Gold refining.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
S
I actually googled the glowing mushrooms, expecting to find a clickbait site with fake news but what I found was a reference to a computer game that had glowing mushrooms feeding of radiation and was located at Chernobyl. 8)

Göran

You would be referring to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series of games Goran - they were a milestone in PC gaming and incredibly good to play. As you say they were set around Chernobyl. :)

Being one of those dry people you mentioned in your post I have to admit that I did actually get what he meant by the humour :oops:

anachronism said:
Being one of those dry people you mentioned in your post I have to admit that I did actually get what he meant by the humour :oops:
That's because you are British... my condolences... :mrgreen:

Göran

g_axelsson said:
anachronism said:
That's because you are British... my condolences... :mrgreen:

Göran

Harsh Goran harsh.

I feel abused and violated and you should resign your moderator's position immediately for racism.

Maybe not :D :D

Hello

Zolotov said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -year.html

Have a look at the interesting original scientific paper.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201606113/abstract

"A Simple Primary Amide for the Selective Recovery of Gold from Secondary Resources"

I'm no chemist but I can tell when someone it just throwing in technical sounding words to pad the work.

"Phase transfer occurs by dynamic assembly of protonated and neutral amides with [AuCl4]− ions through hydrogen bonding in the organic phase, as shown by EXAFS, mass spectrometry measurements, and computational calculations, and supported by distribution coefficient analysis. The fundamental chemical understanding gained herein should be integral to the development of metal-recovery processes, in particular through the use of dynamic assembly processes to build complexity from simplicity."

The only part of that that even remotely rings true to me is the part about making something complex from something simple.

Hi

rickbb said:
I can tell when someone it just throwing in technical sounding words to pad the work.

If that was the case, the paper would never have been published in one of the absolute top scientific Journals.

rickbb said:
I'm no chemist but I can tell when someone it just throwing in technical sounding words to pad the work.

"Phase transfer occurs by dynamic assembly of protonated and neutral amides with [AuCl4]− ions through hydrogen bonding in the organic phase, as shown by EXAFS, mass spectrometry measurements, and computational calculations, and supported by distribution coefficient analysis. The fundamental chemical understanding gained herein should be integral to the development of metal-recovery processes, in particular through the use of dynamic assembly processes to build complexity from simplicity."

The only part of that that even remotely rings true to me is the part about making something complex from something simple.
That's funny, the only part I think was added just to pad the work was "in particular through the use of dynamic assembly processes to build complexity from simplicity"

The rest tells us how gold chloride ions moves from one phase to the other, which molecules that is responsible for the transfer and how it is bonded in the organic phase. Then how it was tested and what the application could be.

It is obvious a liquid-liquid extraction between an aquatic phase and an organic phase so the gold has to be dissolved already as gold chloride. I have read the article but filed it under theoretical work aimed at creating a deeper understanding of the LLX-process and nothing I might use for gold refining.

After reading the article it seems like the "build complexity from simplicity" refers to the complex in the organic phase could create quite big "molecular clumps" or almost polymers, but I might have misunderstood that part.

Göran

Latest posts

Back