Newbie, SMB and white cloud

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venessa.o

I’ve started to process gold filled jewellery- 2 chains 18ct and 1 24ct. Everything went according to plan until I added the SMB. It redeliver it and I realised the nitric acid is still too much in the solution, I did not know about denoxing it b4 adding the SMB. Anyways, I started to add acoustic soda to decrease the ph to around 5, then tried adding SMB again, this time the solution went pale yellow and a white milky cloud formed at the bottom of the beaker. I’m stuck, what should I do to get my gold out if this solution?

I’ve started to process gold filled jewellery- 2 chains 18ct and 1 24ct. Everything went according to plan until I added the SMB. It redeliver it and I realised the nitric acid is still too much in the solution, I did not know about denoxing it b4 adding the SMB. Anyways, I started to add acoustic soda to decrease the ph to around 5, then tried adding SMB again, this time the solution went pale yellow and a white milky cloud formed at the bottom of the beaker. I’m stuck, what should I do to get my gold out if this solution?
You need a lot of learning. Caustic soda addition was a mistake. Take a sample of the white precipitate with liquid and add HCl see if it dissolves. If gold does not precipitate, continue with de-noxing

Last edited:
Welcome to us.
When using chemicals we stress a couple of things, amongst them using proper names for the chemicals one use.
One letter wrong may be the difference between success and failure, example. Sulfites can drop Gold, Sulfates can not.
Understanding the dangers around the chemicals we use is another one.

Now we want you to study so you understand why you are doing things and what to expect when doing things.

Here are some material for studies.
We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/

Latest posts

Back