newby first step

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's 97 ceramic ones, a few 386and 496 , some say pentium mmx, one big one that says intel pentium pro and looks like the whole back plate is plated. the rest are plastic cpu

if you reclaim 7 grams of pure gold you will have made a profit. not alot but a profit anyway. can you post a pic of what you bought?

wow that would be nice, that would mean that i made out like a fat rat :lol: i guess i'll find out soon enough, could i run these cpus in ap after i took out the back plates

please tell us more about the 52lb boards you got with this deal and are the plastic CPU's black or green ???? :p

if you could brake down the ceramics ,, as to AMD, 386,486, pentium, p4, black fiber, green fiber.. and so forth????? :roll: :roll:

It will depend alot on the boards ,,,,,, BUT I think you will come out all right.. :lol: :p

this batch i got all the values and burned the hcl out by putting it in a cast iron pan and drying it up, then i passed it through ntric and got the rest of the base metals out.

Acid washing foils recovered from AP will never get all the base metals out.

when i tried to burn the values with nitric in my cast iron pan it rusted right away and turned orange

Now you know why you don't want incinerate in cast iron. A nitric wash was a good choice to remove the iron mistake but had you just rinsed with water several times to remove the iron nitrate you could have went directly to dissolving the foils. Gold precipitants are selective enough to tolerate a small amount of contaminates and still drop gold fairly clean.

then iput it in a crucible and burned it red hot and i could see and smell the nitric coming out, nice. the crucibles i bought were white porcelin and it fell apart after use

What type of porcelain crucible did you incinerate in?

A lab type porcelain dish such as Coors makes or a crucible made of clay bonded silica used for melting metals.

when you click "post reply" scroll down till you see a box the says "If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below." then in bold type "Filename" click "Browse" and select the location your pics are in (make a new folder on your desktop and copy the pics to the new folder for easy access) double click the pic and make sure theres type in the box just left of "Browse" then click the "add the file" button.

heres some more

Attachments

• PDRM0545.JPG
    PDRM0545.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 138
  • PDRM0546.JPG
    PDRM0546.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PDRM0547.JPG
    PDRM0547.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 138
heres some more

Attachments

• PDRM0548.JPG
    PDRM0548.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PDRM0549.JPG
    PDRM0549.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 138
  • PDRM0550.JPG
    PDRM0550.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 138
  • PDRM0551.JPG
    PDRM0551.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PDRM0552.JPG
    PDRM0552.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 138
i think you got a good buy. like i said, you need 7 grams to make a profit and i think you have that covered and then some. there will be other PM's there too, most notably the MCC's have palladium. those boards are loaded with them. there will be measurable amounts of PT too.

my plan of action is to burn off the pins of the ceramic cpu`s and treat them with the pins in ap. i want to cut off all the finger and whatever other plastics cpu`s, memory etc and treat them apart from the pins

trashmaster said:
please tell us more about the 52lb boards you got with this deal and are the plastic CPU's black or green ???? :p

if you could brake down the ceramics ,, as to AMD, 386,486, pentium, p4, black fiber, green fiber.. and so forth????? :roll: :roll:

It will depend alot on the boards ,,,,,, BUT I think you will come out all right.. :lol: :p
well for the breakdown i hope the pics give you a good idea, i think i should make out pretty good

qst42know said:
this batch i got all the values and burned the hcl out by putting it in a cast iron pan and drying it up, then i passed it through ntric and got the rest of the base metals out.

Acid washing foils recovered from AP will never get all the base metals out.

when i tried to burn the values with nitric in my cast iron pan it rusted right away and turned orange

Now you know why you don't want incinerate in cast iron. A nitric wash was a good choice to remove the iron mistake but had you just rinsed with water several times to remove the iron nitrate you could have went directly to dissolving the foils. Gold precipitants are selective enough to tolerate a small amount of contaminates and still drop gold fairly clean.

then iput it in a crucible and burned it red hot and i could see and smell the nitric coming out, nice. the crucibles i bought were white porcelin and it fell apart after use

What type of porcelain crucible did you incinerate in?

A lab type porcelain dish such as Coors makes or a crucible made of clay bonded silica used for melting metals.
if i pass through ap and then incinerate and pass it through nitric and it doesn`t get rid of base metals what else am i supposed to do :?:
the crucibles were chinese :lol: it all i could get around here quickly
and yes its the last time i incinerate nitric in my cast pan :mrgreen:

i incinerate in a steel can, like canned food with the top cut out. burn it well to remove the plastic liner. its thin and heats quickly. i put mine on my hotplate after i burn plastic and label off with my torch, then pour my material in and let it heat till it starts smoking then apply my propane torch to the outside and move to direct flame into the can until the smoke stops by then its cherry red. you can only use the can once as the chemicals and heat cause the steel to oxidize quickly. you incinerate when you go from one acid to another. dissolve with hcl+cl and filter, when you precipitate the first time that will remove most contaminants. then BOIL in fresh hcl for about 15 minutes. let cool and then BOIL in clean water for 15 minutes. let cool and rinse in ammonium hydroxide (straight white ammonia from the market) for 5 minutes. BOIL in clean water for five minutes and let cool the decant and force dry in the same vessel. dissolve again in hcl+cl, filter, then precipitate. rinse with clean distilled water, BOIL in fresh hcl for 15 minutes let cool. BOIL in clean distilled water and let cool. rinse with ammonium hydroxide for 5 minutes decant and BOIL the final time in clean distilled water and force dry. gold powder should be a light tan color. you should have high purity gold.

Hey Geo, I've checked around the different markets here at home and the ammonia they have is a yellow color, but doesn't list any additives. Do you think that the color would make a difference?

Rusty

Geo said:
i dont think so. just dont get the lemon scented. :lol:
Thanks Geo, if I remember correct it is lemon scented, I wasn't sure if it was going to work but when I get to that point in time that I need it...I guess I'll find out.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back