Nitric acid from air and water:

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAuCl4

Are there any plans of small plants to make nitric acid in a very small scale, first making ammonia, and then oxidizing the ammonia?. I know I'll need some Pt black as catalyst. This is for a small 5 gallon per day use in the middle of a jungle.

in the jungle it would probably be easier to make it from roasting sulfide ore, bubbling SO2 gas into H2O to make sulfuric acid, and leaching bat guano, but just packing in nitric in with mules would even be simpler. :lol:

i believe it takes alot of energy to synthesize nitric acid that way. it would take a boiler and a stainless steel condensing tower. bringing in raw materials may be harder than just bringing in nitric acid.

There's plenty of energy available. Nitric acid is a "controlled substance". You can fill in the blanks.

An even smaller production will suffice (lab size), if I can recycle it all. I think that's going to be the final solution. :idea:

HAuCl4 said:
An even smaller production will suffice (lab size), if I can recycle it all. I think that's going to be the final solution. :idea:

H2S04 and NaNO3.

Boiling leaves in urine would just make a stinky mess, with possible ammonia fumes.

The urine and leaves or dirt (compost) would have to break down into nitrates first, urine would break down to ammonia first then to nitrates with bacteria action of the dirt (can take a year of more), these nitrate soils can be leached, to get the nitrates, but you will still need acid like sulfuric to make nitric acid.

Nitrates made from compost have been an important product in our history for fertilizer and gunpowder.

burning wood makes potash. leaching potash with boiling water and evaporating to crystals will give a crude form of potassium nitrate.

getting back to the op, if nitric acid is a no go, go with goldenchild's suggestion and and make your own acid on the spot. its no hard task to distill that amount per day if you have the right equipment.

Leached dirt or compost (decomposed in bacterial action, manure, urine, blood, dirt) would be mainly calcium nitrate Ca(NO3)2

leached wood ash would be mostly potassium carbonate K2CO3 (potash)

to make potassium nitrate from these:

Ca(NO3)2 + K2CO3 --> 2KNO3 + CaCO3

calcium carbonate is more insoluble than the potassium nitrate in solution.

then we will need sulfuric acid to make nitric acid.

2KNO3 + H2SO4 --> 2HNO3 + K2SO4

HAuCl4 said:
Yeah. Well fertilizers, nitrates and bulk sulfuric are controlled substances too...

Looks like you'll have to resort to the common household chems from the kitchen.

butcher said:
Hmm,
Process for distilling gunpowder in the jungle to make nitric acid to refine gold. :lol:

honestly not a bad idea(at least for the nitrate). black powder can be up to 75% potassium nitrate.boil in water and filter. dry filtrate to a crystal and voila, potassium nitrate. blasting powder and smokeless gun powder is about 70%.

all you need is a source for sulfuric acid. is there a restriction on auto battery electrolyte?

An old true method is to use wee-wee, straw, potash, and time.

".........Into the 19th century, niter-beds were prepared by mixing manure with either mortar or wood ashes, common earth and organic materials such as straw to give porosity to a compost pile typically 1.5×2×5 meters in size. The heap was usually under a cover from the rain, kept moist with urine, turned often to accelerate the decomposition and leached with water after approximately one year. Dung-heaps were a particularly common source: ammonia from the decomposition of urea and other nitrogenous materials would undergo bacterial oxidation to produce various nitrates, primarily calcium nitrate, which could be converted to potassium nitrate by the addition of potash from wood ashes.

A variation on this process, using only urine, straw and wood ash, is described by LeConte: Stale urine is placed in a container of straw hay and is allowed to sour for many months, after which water is used to wash the resulting chemical salts from the straw. The process is completed by filtering the liquid through wood ashes and air-drying in the sun....."

Full article can be found here, http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Potassium_nitrate.html

Cheers

Deano

Perhaps with ozone?

Not exactly a how to guide but if I find better I will put it here.

http://www.amazing1.com/download/OZONEWATERSYSTEMS.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7M_Ro1prKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRqIv4SoLg

I'll suggest it with no experience of the process: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2868
lazersteve said:
The inital step involes converting the copper nitrate into nitirc acid. This is accomplished with two graphite electrodes, or a graphite positive and a copper mesh negative.

It seems to me that copper nitrate goes in, copper and nitric acid come out. Maybe the same principle can be applied to a different nitrate? sodium and potassium would react with the water, so not those. I have been wondering why the nitric doesn't just dissolve the copper that's plated out - maybe sodium/potassium wouldn't react with water?
This would make nitric acid without the need of any other acids

Creative Chemistry by Edwin E. Slosson circa 1920's describes a process where they make citric acid from air using high voltage though I believe this was only done where electricity was very cheap. The book is now in the public domain and I picked up a copy from ebay really cheap. There are a few videos out on youtube that show how it's done.

Latest posts

Back