Nitrosyl chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAB

When doing silver, If you use HCL to precipitate the silver chloride from the Nitric and water solution, you then have Nitrosyl chloride !! what can Nitrosyl chloride be used for - can it be reused for leaching base metals or does it go to the waste container as waste ?

With nitric being as difficult and expensive to obtain everywhere these days, it pays to continue adding Silver to your nitric solution until it no longer dissolves the metal. If you do that, the solution is waste after the Hydrochloric Acid drops out the Silver Chloride anyway.

If you add Hydrochloric Acid while there is still free nitric acid, you will form aqua regia and that will also dissolve values.

With nitric being as difficult and expensive to obtain everywhere these days, it pays to continue adding Silver to your nitric solution until it no longer dissolves the metal. If you do that, the solution is waste after the Hydrochloric Acid drops out the Silver Chloride anyway.
It's always been my understanding that adding HCl to a solution of silver dissolved in nitric will precipitate the silver as AgCl, and re-create a somewhat dilute nitric acid. If you add just a little less HCl than needed, there will be a little silver still in solution, but no AR will be created.

Have I misunderstood?

Dave

I have always dropped the Silver using copper (cementation) because it was going to feed a Silver cell anyway. When I wanted to form Silver Chloride I always used plain old salt. Whenever you use the chloride conversion process you need lots of rinse water to get pure Silver so years ago GSP asked me "whats the point?" He was right.

Because I drop the Silver by cementation having a solution with any free nitric acid is just plain wasteful which is why I prefer to recycle the second parting acid and push the first parting acid until it is exhausted.

As far as the Hydrochloric Acid generating a nitric acid solution it is more likely the presence of the nitrate providing the oxidizer.

there is no point in adding hydrochloric acid to a nitrogen solution with silver...
Tap water with kitchen salt is sufficient.
hydrochloric acid is involved only in washing the chloride, but it is diluted there

I have always dropped the Silver using copper (cementation) because it was going to feed a Silver cell anyway. When I wanted to form Silver Chloride I always used plain old salt. Whenever you use the chloride conversion process you need lots of rinse water to get pure Silver so years ago GSP asked me "whats the point?" He was right.

Because I drop the Silver by cementation having a solution with any free nitric acid is just plain wasteful which is why I prefer to recycle the second parting acid and push the first parting acid until it is exhausted.

As far as the Hydrochloric Acid generating a nitric acid solution it is more likely the presence of the nitrate providing the oxidizer.
I think the time to make silver, through chloride and direct cementation with copper is the same.
Without having the entire chain with repeated restoration of sacrificial copper, this is not very profitable.
copper is an expensive, liquid metal

If you add Hydrochloric Acid while there is still free nitric acid, you will form aqua regia and that will also dissolve values.
The acid is still a hot acid even after adding HCL after all nitric is used up, so it becomes AR so it can be used to leach base metals since it is a very week AR. correct ?
It's always been my understanding that adding HCl to a solution of silver dissolved in nitric will precipitate the silver as AgCl, and re-create a somewhat dilute nitric acid. If you add just a little less HCl than needed, there will be a little silver still in solution, but no AR will be created.

Have I misunderstood?

Dave
I am not sure and trying to find out myself
I think the time to make silver, through chloride and direct cementation with copper is the same.
Without having the entire chain with repeated restoration of sacrificial copper, this is not very profitable.
copper is an expensive, liquid metal
The copper can be regained back thru waste treatment. so it not a loss of copper from what I can see.

Latest posts

Back