not aluminium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chances are it is anodized copper ( will pass as #2 at a scrap yard unless they try and hose you and pass it as #3) if it is dense.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as anodized copper. Light metals, such as Al or Ti, are anodized.

I seem to remember Steve saying that certain lids contain tungsten or some other similar heavy metal.

Anodized copper does exist in form of buss bars but is very rare. I have a Niton tester here if you want to PM me I can analyze the sample for you and send it back to you free of charge if you want to pm me.

From my experience taking these apart the most of them are copper and you can tell by filing lightly if it shows you a red undercoating.

I'm not buying the bit about "anodized copper", but I'm looking at it from a technical perspective, having done lots of Al anodizing myself. I found many references on the internet to the term, but none were true anodizing. Here's some things I found being called "anodized copper."
(1) Chemically oxidized copper.
(2) Copper colored dyed anodized aluminum
(3) Copper plating on anodized aluminum, on which the copper is somehow made a part of the aluminum oxide layer.

I did read that experiments had been done using HF to produce a true anodized copper, but it's still in the research stage.

Maybe it's just a term that the scrap yards use for certain items. What would your tester show on this material? Can you explain better what the top layer of this material is composed of? What color is the top layer? Is there an internet link that shows the material you're talking about?

Here we go

http://www.allfabsolutions.com/images/copper_buss_bar.jpg

The last time I tested a piece it showed 80%pb and 20%cu but as you grind it it becomes 99% CU on the Niton.

Arthur,

If this is the cpu lid you are speaking of :

k62_lid.jpg

It's likely pure aluminum or an aluminum alloy. The one in the photo weighs 5.3 grams, rapidly reacts to HCl leaving a gray sludge on an exposed surface (after scratching off passivated coating), is easy to bend, has a thin passivated coating, and has a consistent gray color throughout.

I'll do a few more tests, but it looks to me like passivated aluminum.

The only thing that throws me off about your post is the reference to plastic?

Steve

these are all my pictures lol...and those tops do not come off of those either. Black Fiber Pentium 1 chips have no heatsinks like that. That picture is the same chip 3 times broken open.

It should come off something that looks more like this.

Attachments

• k63die.jpg
    k63die.jpg
    19.9 KB
The MMX and early Celeron fiber cpus have lids that are nickel plated over copper.

They come off very easily using heat or with a firm hammer hit on a 1 inch square tubing placed on the belly of the cpu. The cpu should be inverted and supported around the edges in a vice so the lid can fall off freely when the square tubing is struck with the hammer. The vice is closed until it is opened slightly larger than size of the lid (slightly greater than one inch) and the cpu is laid belly up on the open mouth of the vice. The square tubing is then placed such that it covers the shiny epoxy part of the cpu belly. The force of the hammer blow on the tubing will cleanly knock the lid off in a split second.

You can then process the cpu housings without the lids in dilute nitric acid to remove the silver solder from the through holes. This should free up the gold foil (if present) under the lid and allow the kovar legs to easily be removed from the housing.

Once the solder is removed from the cpu it becomes very brittle and can be shredded or ground to a small size and processed for gold along with the top foils and legs.

To remove the aluminum lids from the AMD K6 ceramic cpus heat to 400C and the lid will come off with ease. Do this in a well ventilated area as some of the cpu lids have copious amounts of heat sink grease under them which can fume quite a bit.

Steve

Latest posts

Back