oops

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1special

I accidently grabbed the wrong spray bottle while dissolving some cpu pins with nitric and got myself a silver cloride issue. From what i have read i need to go ahead and dissolve my gold/silver, then ice the solution down to precipitate the silver cloride, then filter it out before smb. I wanted to make sure that was the best way to fix my little accident. Also making sure that it works the same with hcl+clorox because i think they were using AR in the video i am going by.

Sorry i lost my connectiong and had to retype my post and left out a little key information. When i grabbed the wrong spray bottle i sprayed it with tap water instead of distilled which is what caused my silver cloride problem.

I'm gunna go way out on a limb here. What?

How do you know it's silver ?maybe cause its white
Stuff
Do CPU pins even have silver?
If you have some mysterious powder or something
making filtering difficult then read up on
Meta stannic acid
Did your pins have solder on them?

What cpu's , pictures always help, have you read
holkes book its a free download found in the
Signature line of many members posts
I think within the first 40 pages you'll have
Your answer
Thanks Steyr223 rob

Yes have read hoke and it is sodder silver from fiber cpu pins. Am thinking it is silver cloride because it formed when the clorine from my tap water spray bottle hit it. And im sorry let me clarify that gold is still in leaves, not solution. As i did say i was dissolving the base metal out with some dillute nitric and distilled water. I noticed that most all the gold was peeled off the kevolar and poured off my acid into a panning dish along with the gold leaves which i was then going to filter, wash and refine. When i grabbed my spray bottle to wash out the leaves that were still clinging i accidently grabbed the bottle with tap water instead of my distilled spray bottle. Now in my panning dish i have gold leaves sitting mixed in with what i am pretty sure is silver nitrate. I will get a pic posted right away.

chlorine in tap water usually is not strong enough to create problems. Harold said he used tap water for all his refining without issues. i would have suspected metastannic acid first. tin dissolved in nitric acid may have precipitated when you diluted the solution (depending on the quantity of tin and the quantity of solution). next time try cleaning the solder off with hcl and then incinerate before the nitric bath.

Did you stir the solution after that and it disappeared? When i squirt the top layer of a beaker sometimes it creates a stratified layer of water on top. In that stratified layer the solubility of metal salts diminishes and precipitates can form.

also something else to think about lots of municipal water is very hard. I use rain water for my refining/recovery my well water always gives me fits with salts forming int the solution. If its a fine gray silt like substance it's morethnlikely metastannic acid. If its white and flaky substance it could be a Ca compound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium#Compounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_nitrate

Calcium nitrate Solubility
dissolves in alcohol and acetone
soluble in ammonia
almost insoluble in nitric acid

Eric

another possibility is Ferric nitrate (nitrate of iron) is generally made by dissolving scrap iron in nitric acid of 1.30 sp. gr. '1'he reaction is as follows:

- 2 Fe +8 HN03 = 2 Fe(N03)3 + 2 NO +4 H20.

By concentrating the solution, colorless crystals, containing six or nine molecules of crystal water, are obtained.
The aqueous solution will dissolve ferric hydroxide, and this basic solution is much used in textile coloring. By using an excess of iron, and permitting the reaction to continue slowly, after all the acid has been acted upon, a precipitate of insoluble basic ferric nitrate ultimately forms.

Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/chemistry/nitrates.htm#ixzz2C2kC935K

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(III)_nitrate <------- copy and paste in your search. the link doesnt work right.

Latest posts

Back