Oops!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I'll try this once more. In the basement of a burned house this was collected. It was the only thing in the room and the room was from where the fire started. Basement, no pipes of any kind, ceramic floor. 15lbs. I'll attach photos of what it looked like when found , when reformed, and what small pieces of it look like after torching them for about half hour. Also what some of those pieces look like cut up. Is it possible to this chunk of lead has gold in it?
This seem to be an alloy, so take it to a pawn shop or similar and let them do a XRF, then you will know.

Okay I'll try this once more.
And you expect different result from repeating this question?? Did you add any extra information or explanation to further clarify the first post? You got all the answers you need imo. You need to reply with answers on questions or perform some tests

The blob, and specially the snip marks look to me like it's lead. Get your pm out by cupelling. You will need a big cupel though if you process it all at once. or try a small piece first.

Or: Now that you have a remelted solid piece, check the density, or as Americans call it; specific gravity. Grams per cubic cm or kilo's per liter. This will indicate if you can guesstimate the content of the alloy.
Note that silver and lead are not that far apart in density. so it will remain a guess. Until you test or process it somehow.
if it's lead, a Parkes process should reduce the amount of metal to process.

Want to be sure? We say: Assay! But i guess it's a waste of money. And that's really all we can based on the info you have: Guess. so unless there is a prize to win, this was my last guess.

Want to save time on something probably not worth the effort? Make some fishing weights.
The yellow color is most likely oxides. Not gold. Gold alloys with lead and much more metals and does not float on the surface of an alloy. Oxides however do.

Is it possible to this chunk of lead has gold in it?
Yes, if there was any gold or silver near the lead when it melted, all the gold will be in the lead. It's a solvent for gold and silver and much more metals at low temperatures.
Solubility of gold in lead is unlimited. the alloy can hold 99.9999% lead or 99.9999% gold.

Latest posts

Back