oxygen/acetylene tip preference for melting precious metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this:

The least you’ll need​

• You WILL need to change your Acetylene Regulator to a Propane type (including for Propylene).
  • You WILL need to change your Acetylene Hose to a Propane Hose (including for Propylene).
  • You will need to check the label on your Flash Arrestor, if it says “Fuel”, it’s OK to use with Propane & Propylene. If it says “Acetylene” you will need to change it for a “Fuel” type.
  • Your Torch SHOULD be OK for Acetylene, Propane or Propylene, ours certainly are, but if in doubt, you should check with the manufacturer. DON’T TAKE RISKS WITH GAS!!!!
The link: https://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/blog/swapping-from-oxy-acetylene-to-oxy-propane-or-propylene/
All good tips I will take. I had seen that really the only thing that would need to be changed is the tip if using a cutting torch but obviously there is more to it as usual. Still worth the change over though I think. I'm cleaning up an extra torch body I have to devote just to melts. Unfortunately the rosebud tip I have doesn't fit on this body so I'll have to get another one or use one of the many brazing tips I have that do fit. I could use a cutting torch but I would be tempted to hit the oxygen lever so I'd prefer to use a separate torch body instead since I have one.

I found this:

The least you’ll need​

• You WILL need to change your Acetylene Regulator to a Propane type (including for Propylene).
  • You WILL need to change your Acetylene Hose to a Propane Hose (including for Propylene).
  • You will need to check the label on your Flash Arrestor, if it says “Fuel”, it’s OK to use with Propane & Propylene. If it says “Acetylene” you will need to change it for a “Fuel” type.
  • Your Torch SHOULD be OK for Acetylene, Propane or Propylene, ours certainly are, but if in doubt, you should check with the manufacturer. DON’T TAKE RISKS WITH GAS!!!!
The link: https://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/blog/swapping-from-oxy-acetylene-to-oxy-propane-or-propylene/
Just for a follow up on this. I came across some VICTOR Regulator manuals on ESAB website that stated different pressure recommendations for different gases (including propane) for the same acetylene regulator. Not satisfied with that I emailed Victor and asked if my Heavy Duty model Victor could be used for propane. I got a generic response that you should only use specific regulators for specific gases. Not satisfied with that I pressed them and got this response:

"The internal parts in a propane regulator and an acetylene regulator are the same parts. For liability purposes we cannot suggest you use a regulator other than for the intended gas".

....which basically tells me it's okay to use my regulator for propane.

However, I will be buying a new T Grade hose, check values, and flash arrestors. Plus, I called the local Linde store and will be stopping by to see if we can find a compatible propane rated rosebud for my old torch body.

I hope to keep this conversation going but just wanted to thank all of you who chimed in because it's really helped point me in the right direction (albeit a different one) and that's a good thing.

Latest posts

Back