p4 processors in used AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEB

Hello,

I have had a jar or AP sitting in the shed for a couple weeks,so i though ild run a test with some P4 processors in it.
I got a second jar and dumped around 20-25 p4 processors in it, i had removed the heat spreaders and the little brown chips and reserved for later. So i pored enough of the old AP in the jar to cover then and left overnight. All the pins are off and intact though there is a large amount of brown powder sitting on the bottom as well. Ive read a few post stating that this mud could be gold if the solution is saturated with copper. Though unless there was a fair amount disloved from the finger processing it seams alot for the small amount of processing the AP has seen. At inspection this morning there was the processors and pins and brown powder on the bottom and then with a fairly clear layer abouve this and the green liquid layer above this.

So i figure that this sloution is now prity much spent. though i have about 20 more fiber cpu's can i dump these in there to remove the pins and see what happens, as im guessing that it needs filtering and a few washese with HCI and a HCI_CI bath. so i mose well do it in one hit.

i am not a person that is really the most knowledgeable but , first thought green i think copper.... but acids give very strange colors depending contaminates... stannous test for PM

first thought---- your AP is spent and precipitated gold from prior processing... but like anything i could be wrong

With the AP im 95% sure that the green is the copper in solution allong with a couple other traces of metals from the processing of the fingers.

no that i have put the cpus in the aready used solution, im prity sure that the reason that there is a red/brown powder on the bottom of the sloution ans the solution has clared out. is that the pins base metal on the cpus is iron (appart from one that the pins did not release so this could be copper or there is another metal i forget the name of) and the iron has pushed out the aready disolved copper. Im prity sure this is what is happening becouse i transphered a few of the pins and powder to another container and added more preoxide and this changed the solution back to the green though after shaking it quickley went clear. so this makes me think that yes the poweder is copper and adding the prexodie it put some of this back into solution though adding this extra hydrogen it allowed the iron to quickley dislove and pushed the copper out.

the gold flashes on the edges of the processors are slowley comming away from the board, so i guess that it still has the ability to pull these off. though not sure if this will continue.

either way i think its going to take a very long time to disolve the base metal of the pins as im not adding heat. and to be honest im not sure if it will work at all.

well depending on your volume of powder... you could take a small amount and test it's reaction with nitric...
shouldn't need much for the test....
or you could some fresh HCL 100ml or less.... drop little bit of the powder in test it's reaction with fresh hcl.... then test for PM

i have 150ml beaker type measuring cup for small scale testing would recommend getting one or 2....

see what's left over..

unknown powder i would perform enough testing be 100% sure that it's free of PM...

have you EVER heated the AP in the past during processing of material before this time....

Again i haven't been at this for a long time so the way i would handle this might not be correct.... some of the other guys here are far more advanced than me... just trying to give you a little help till a Pro comes through and gives you there best take....

100% agree it needs testing.
all input is good, as i have only spent about 10hrs reading into all this and everything is new. so i know prity close to nothing.

the solution has never been directly heated. though has gotten fairly warm maby 40+c as i was doing hot work in the shead and it would have warmed to about that. so it may well have taken some pm into the solution.

i know its dumb to be doing this without stannous though i dont have any on hand, so im just saving everythink till i do. having this would help out a lot im sure.
ill have a play with it again tomrow and run a magnit over the pins, i think that they are steel and if this is the case u may need ot find a crockpot and run them in hci. if this is the case i mose well run all the other pins that ive put aside of the motherboards. though im only collecting the pins of the p2 boards and older now as the other seam a waste of time.

thanks again

get some 95% tin-5% silver aka 95/5 lead free solder there is a formula to make stannous with hcl and tin

nothing is a waste the more you process the more you learn

nothing is a waste the more you process the more you learn
think i found a good signature

dam i think i have the solder here for that. ill look and see what comes of it in the moring.

cheers again

i must have used the silver solder up.

i have normal solder contains tin copper and lead can this be used. if not ill get some more silver solder. 95/5 i guess it would be green right from the start though. not sure about the lead. i dont think there is pd so it may work ill have ashot either way

TEB
Im prity sure this is what is happening becouse i transphered a few of the pins and powder to another container and added more preoxide and this changed the solution back to the green though after shaking it quickley went clear. so this makes me think that yes the poweder is copper and adding the prexodie it put some of this back into solution though adding this extra hydrogen it allowed the iron to quickley dislove and pushed the copper out.
Well get some stannous to test with,because peroxide you added would dissolve gold powder .
If you did the same thing with HCL instead of peroxide then if it was gold powder it would not dissolve, and it would clean it of other base metals.
This is a typical rookie mistake (adding more junk ) complicating the mix. I would not try to reuse your AP now, you can use AP over and over for clean cut fingers or other copper with gold plate only items.

I would bet the dark brown powder was gold no matter how little.

Splash a few drops of cold water into the solution - if your solution is saturated with copper, a white cloud will form temporarily. But that's a good thing - the concentrated cupric chloride is what makes AP work - try adding some water. If it was just sitting, the H2O would have evaporated some. Also, if your shovels look a little rusty, the HCl has evaporated some, too! :lol: I add a small amount if things seem to stall out.

Many folks here use a simple fish tank bubbler to keep regenerating their solution - it helps you avoid dissolving your gold with peroxide additions. The peroxide is usually just to get the reaction started, kind of a shortcut to cupric chloride saturation. I highly recommend you read the cupric chloride document from lazersteve's website.

One more thing, unrelated to refining - does the browser you're using have a SpellCheck feature? The numerous misspellings & run-on sentences make for difficult reading, & many here won't bother to read & reply if it seems you don't care enough to communicate with us graciously & accurately. I know that's not your intent - it may just come across that way.

Hang in there & good luck!

EDITED: changed "copper chloride" to "cupric chloride" & put correct location of CuCl document.

dtectr said:
Splash a few drops of cold water into the solution - if your solution is saturated with copper, a white cloud will form temporarily. But that's a good thing - the concentrated cupric chloride is what makes AP work - try adding some water. ..

Good suggestion for determining if the solution is saturated with copper I chloride, but it's not the kind of saturation you want. Copper II chloride is the type of copper saturation you want in the solution, copper I stalls the reaction.
Wiki Copper I Chloride said:
Cu + CuCl2 → 2 CuCl
6 CuCl + 3/2 O2 + 3 H2O → 2 Cu3Cl2(OH)4 + CuCl2

To get it reacting again requires the copper I chloride to be oxidized to copper II chloride as seen in the equation above. You'll notice in the first reaction equation above that the Cu (metallic copper) is reacting with CuCl2, not CuCl. The CuCl is the by product of the copper dissolving.

A bit of air bubbled in (best way) or a splash of 3% hydrogen peroxide will get it back on track. Don't over do it with the peroxide or you will start dissolving gold, add just enough to bring the color to a dark emerald green. If the color refuses to change after the addition of 50-100 mL of peroxide you may need a little more acid.

Steve

Thanks, Steve for the correction. I'm no chemist (I can barely spell it :D ), so it takes me some time get it straightened out in my head.

So, what I should have said is, "kind of a shortcut to cupric II chloride saturation", is that correct? & addition of peroxide, not HCl? My solution that sat for 2 months did have the bubbler going in it fulltime, is that why I didn't have to add peroxide, but water & HCl to kickstart it?

thanks for your patience.

Yes. The acid and water are necessary to keep the pH and concentration correct as per the document on my website you referenced earlier.

Steve

Latest posts

Back