peroxide and gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyreece

why couldnt just a strong solution of peroxide be used to disolve all metals(small metals like gold plated pins etc) and then precipitate the gold

ok. so its not that one couldnt use it in that manner, its just not cost efficent.......how effective is it compared to other chemicals commonly used and what are the pros and cons to its use other than the price?

this is just a guess the strong oxidizer would only oxidize the surface (see passivation of metals) not dissolve the gold.

when we dissolve gold the oxidizers oxidize the surface so with Hydrochloric acid (chlorine) the gold will form a gold salt (gold chloride), we need both the oxidizer and HCl.

nitric a strong oxidizer will not dissolve gold. but it will oxidize it so the the HCl can, HCl by itself will not dissolve gold.

thanks, that makes sense. so it acts as a weak nitric acid... using a strong %peroxide with hcl,would it be as effective as using a poor mans AR

concentrated peroxide and HCl will even dissolve platinum, Aqua regia if Hot will dissolve platinum, cold aqua regia will not to much of a degree.

yes we do dissolve gold with HCL and peroxide (32%).

Be careful 32% peroxide is a nasty stuff and with acids even more nastier. Use proper safety equipment and procedures when handling this stuff.

This is what 30% peroxide will do to your finger. It wasnt exactly painful but it itched really bad and the white stayed on my finger for a few days. You cant really tell but there is bubbles under my skin caused by the H2O2. This happened at work, where I have access to unlimited acid gloves, masks, acid gowns, and every bit of PPE available. So be careful if you get strong H2O2.

Attachments

• finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    56.5 KB

Latest posts

Back