pin foils with vinegar, peroxide, and salt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried this method for a few reasons:

. I first found this idea presented as a means to etch circuit boards
for quick and cheap home-hobbyists fabrication of project boards,
and wanted to try to adapt it to recovery of precious metals.
Refining will come later.

. Vinegar, salt, and H2O2 (3% USP) are cheap and readily available.
In a pinch, you can even make vinegar yourself from waste sugar, juice, or wine.
And, I imagine you can use practically any soluble (read: Cl- ion producing) chloride salt,
although I have only tried various sources of sodium chloride so far.
I have used: table salt (can contain dextrose and be iodized, at times sourced from restaurant packets),
rock salt (for ice melting which can contain unknown mineral contaminants),
and canning/pickling salt (the closest I come to pure sodium chloride outside a lab-grade supplier).
I would imagine potassium chloride (a good portion of the content in sea salt),
and calcium chloride (also for ice melting and used for ice baths in ice cream making)
would also work just as well.
I would not recommend kosher salt (usually contains a sulfur compound, can vary by brand).

. I lack a well ventilated work area and have little protective gear currently.
Vinegar is safer to handle and does not evolve anywhere near as much chlorine gas during this use.
There are no major safety issues in storing vinegar, salt, or 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Also, just like regular AP, once you have a copper chloride solution,
there really is no need to use the peroxide to make new batches.

. Time to process is not an issue for me,
and I am less concerned about leaving this unattended for long periods of time.

. I have relatively small amounts of material to process at any given time,
usually small amounts of pins and gold-plated traces on small non-computer circuit boards.
(side note: breaking pins into smaller pieces through metal fatigue, not cutting,
to expose more base metal greatly improves reaction time.)

. I value the experience of experimentation with this new method.
And use this time to hone my lab safety skills before moving into more dangerous processes.

But, you are right. This is the long way around.

edit: added iodizing to table salt contents

I was covering a small table with coins a while back and a friend told me to mix straight distilled white vinegar + iodized table salt + and 3% hydrogen peroxide and use a microfiber cloth dipped in the solution to clean the change faster....I got impatient and just threw a couple handfuls of change into a jar and then filled it with the solution....thinking it wouldn't be that strong, I went to bed and left it to soak.... Much to my surprise, after my 6 hr sleep I woke to find a jar of mostly black coins in the jar. I shook it fairly hard thinking it may have tarnished, but when I drained off the solution I found that all the nickle/copper had been eatin off the coins completely...just to check myself I took the solution into the sunlight to hopefully see if I could see any particles in the solution and once I shook the container again I saw what looked like very fine flakes (more fine than glitter) suspended in the liquid.......this happened in maybe 6 hrs. Blew my mind...but then again I'm not to familiar with chemistry other than ur basics from highschool.

Latest posts

Back