platinum question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glove box is the way to deal with the yellow salt, if you're going to manipulate it for thermal reduction.

When it goes for calcination, a silica boat, about 5" wide by 5" deep by 30" long, coated with ZrO2 wash with platinum sheet lining the inside is loaded with the still damp (NH4)2PtCl6. This can then be reduced in a tube furnace in a stream of Ar/5%H2 gas firstly at 400 C for 2.5 h and then at 900 C for 2.5 h until no more white smoke (NH4Cl) is seen.

Lou

Topher_osAUrus said:
myfalconry76 said:
I didn't say it was safe, precautions should be taken. Over exposer is bad. And like I said I value my life. That's why I have modified my fume hood with a hinged plexi glass front. With holes and arm length gloves bonded to those holes, kinda like a incubator for babies where you can stick your arms in the gloves. But I must say I did this to protect myself from toxic fumes from the beginning.

Ah, that sounds pretty safe... And interesting to say the least.

Please forgive my misinterpretation of your post. Im sorry for the misunderstanding.

That does sound like a very good fume hood though. Id love to see some pictures. Whenever i see something thats done in a very creative and clever way, it gets the ol' juices goin' upstairs, then those gears start cranking...eventually spawning ideas (after the smoke clears)
I'll get some pics of it up when i get back home, this job I'm on here in Memphis only last for two weeks. But my fume hood is built from a d projector tv. I removed the insides, blocked of the front where the screen was. Sealed it tight. Then cut a widow that was 24x34 in the back. The tv case has a taper to it like most tv's and my exhaust is st the highest part of that taper. My vacume pump bubbles vapor through my stock pot, vapor from my stock pot is then through a bucket of water the through a bucket of rock and charcoal then its pulled through a hepafilter then out the vacume pump. Is this right? I truly do not know. But it dose take all the smell away.

So if they treat cancer with platinum then in another 80 years there will be enough platinum in crematorium to make it worth recovering.

myfalconry76 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
myfalconry76 said:
I didn't say it was safe, precautions should be taken. Over exposer is bad. And like I said I value my life. That's why I have modified my fume hood with a hinged plexi glass front. With holes and arm length gloves bonded to those holes, kinda like a incubator for babies where you can stick your arms in the gloves. But I must say I did this to protect myself from toxic fumes from the beginning.

Ah, that sounds pretty safe... And interesting to say the least.

Please forgive my misinterpretation of your post. Im sorry for the misunderstanding.

That does sound like a very good fume hood though. Id love to see some pictures. Whenever i see something thats done in a very creative and clever way, it gets the ol' juices goin' upstairs, then those gears start cranking...eventually spawning ideas (after the smoke clears)
I'll get some pics of it up when i get back home, this job I'm on here in Memphis only last for two weeks. But my fume hood is built from a d projector tv. I removed the insides, blocked of the front where the screen was. Sealed it tight. Then cut a widow that was 24x34 in the back. The tv case has a taper to it like most tv's and my exhaust is st the highest part of that taper. My vacume pump bubbles vapor through my stock pot, vapor from my stock pot is then through a bucket of water the through a bucket of rock and charcoal then its pulled through a hepafilter then out the vacume pump. Is this right? I truly do not know. But it dose take all the smell away.

Just across the river In Memphis,TN. Where are you working at?

Working through a temp service, cleaning the electric plant. It's like working in a giant bird cage. It's a big tank sorta thing that water flows through lined and crossed with pipe spaced about 3" apart. From what I understand the pipes heat the water to create steam to turn generators. I guess, my job is to take this thing that is like a giant saw and about 40lbs and run it between the pipes to cut away a substance that is just slightly softer than red brick. It SUCKS!!! Hot muggy and physically painful on my hands back and arms. 10 he shifts for 12.00 a hour. And every minute I'm cussing wondering is it worth it. The hight point is the end of the damn day. At least they pay a 50.00 day perdium and pay for my hotel.

myfalconry76 said:
Working through a temp service, cleaning the electric plant. It's like working in a giant bird cage. It's a big tank sorta thing that water flows through lined and crossed with pipe spaced about 3" apart. From what I understand the pipes heat the water to create steam to turn generators. I guess, my job is to take this thing that is like a giant saw and about 40lbs and run it between the pipes to cut away a substance that is just slightly softer than red brick. It SUCKS!!! Hot muggy and physically painful on my hands back and arms. 10 he shifts for 12.00 a hour. And every minute I'm cussing wondering is it worth it. The hight point is the end of the damn day. At least they pay a 50.00 day perdium and pay for my hotel.

Ah ok. So you are cleaning out the tubes from the heat exchanger. Yea nasty dirty work. Good luck with it. Weather here right now is hot a humid so I feel for you doing this work. Good luck.

Well, your sample prob very contaminated with copper or nickel or both. Here a video on how to purify Pt from waste I found it very interesting.

The last post you are adressing was made in 2016, so don't expect any replies.

I heard Platnium is very hard to dissolve in Aqua Regas even 70% Nitric will give you issues. PMC (Poorman chemist) made some Pt chemical complexes but he had a hard time making them. However, One method is to run pt threw electricity with HCl. Highly concentrated HCl and chlorine gas with Pt if the Pt is thin enough.

Pt electrodes would be ideal for me but many on eBay are fake. Pt in HCl with electricity generates chlorine in situ.

I heard Platnium is very hard to dissolve in Aqua Regas even 70% Nitric will give you issues. PMC (Poorman chemist) made some Pt chemical complexes but he had a hard time making them. However, One method is to run pt threw electricity with HCl. Highly concentrated HCl and chlorine gas with Pt if the Pt is thin enough.

Pt electrodes would be ideal for me but many on eBay are fake. Pt in HCl with electricity generates chlorine in situ.
Have you read C.M. Hokes book?

Not hard, but slow. Rolling it flat, or atomizing the metal greatly reduce the dissolution time. Nitric won´t do anything on solid metal Pt.
What you intend to do ?

If i can afford to I may Electroplate Pt wire or a bar and add conc HCL in a beaker and run electricity threw it and vent the chlorine thus the chlorine and HCL should dissolve the Pt slowly. Nurdrage told me once that electroplating pt in HCl creates chlorine gas. I prob set up a round flat bottom flask with stoppers and vent the chlorine if I wanted too.

I mean a 13 volt (0-2) amp power supply.

If i can afford to I may Electroplate Pt wire or a bar and add conc HCL in a beaker and run electricity threw it and vent the chlorine thus the chlorine and HCL should dissolve the Pt slowly. Nurdrage told me once that electroplating pt in HCl creates chlorine gas. I prob set up a round flat bottom flask with stoppers and vent the chlorine if I wanted too.

I mean a 13 volt (0-2) amp power supply.
Any voltage over 3-5 volts in salt water will create Hydrogen and Chlorine.
Cheaper to use Graphite electrodes and HCl, then vent the chlorine into the HCl bath for dissolving the Pt.
Simplest though is Aqua Regia

Nitric is always available, but it might need licenses or permits to have and buy.
A tips to you.
Keep away from dissolving Platinum Group metals, their toxicity are much higher than any other salts we encounter.
Even many professional Refiners will not touch them.

Latest posts

Back