Platinum sponge from hydrazine sulfate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should edit some of my posts that I found to be WRONG.

In this case, the advice of letting silica touch the Pd in hydrogen is a bad idea. In this way, you get a low melting inter metallic compound of Pd and Si that ruins your palladium. This seems to be temperature related and more over dependent on what refractory is used. Boats made of magnesia or zirconia seem to fare much better than quartz.

You can run the H2 starting at room temperature after it has been swept out with an inert gas.

I should edit some of my posts that I found to be WRONG.

In this case, the advice of letting silica touch the Pd in hydrogen is a bad idea. In this way, you get a low melting inter metallic compound of Pd and Si that ruins your palladium. This seems to be temperature related and more over dependent on what refractory is used. Boats made of magnesia or zirconia seem to fare much better than quartz.

You can run the H2 starting at room temperature after it has been swept out with an inert gas.

Lou, this alloy with Si is produced exclusively with Pd or could it happen with the rest of PGMs and the only function of the hydrogen injection is to make the already reduced metal more spongy? Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
Gustavo

Back